Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweet Potatoes for Primal Potato Diet? page 3

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I've tried tweaking my macros in a few different variations, and have decided that I can maintain weight on just about any of them. I know that it takes time and patience to loose, but if this hack isn't harmful, and I doubt that it is when used for short periods, then it's worth a try.

I'm on day three and feel just fine, and it seems I've lost a few pounds as well. I've been living off of mostly baked and cooled potatoes, but yesterday I made some hash browns without any fat and they were pretty good with a little garlic powder and salt. I've also been taking a multi-vitamin and drinking a cup or two of bone broth with the fat skimmed off the top. All in all everything is going pretty well. We'll see how I feel on friday.
    I liked doing the potato diet, it's really good to lose 5-10 pounds in a week or two, especially after struggling with them for a year or so. That last 5 is the hardest, but a diet of only potatoes makes them go POOF!

I have found that a normal, daily diet with plenty of starch seems to make maintaining much easier. The potato diet really helped me get past my carb-fears.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you are looking to expand your horizons on starch, get some plantains, peel and cut into cubes, fry in butter (or fat of choice), and eat them covered in chili or just mixed with ground beef...unbelievable!

They are kind of tasteless on their own, but take the flavor of whatever is with them.
    OMG! I've made fried plantains TWICE now! Fried 'em up in coconut oil until dark golden brown and salted them. AMAZING!

The only pain in the ass about them: I bought my first bunch brownish and spotty. They were a BITCH to peel, and I had to actually use a knife to cut away the peel, thus losing precious plantain flesh.

The next bunch I bought were larger and had far less brown tinge to them and were still a little green. These peeled wonderfully. Different flavour though. I thought they were a little milder in flavour. TASTY AS HECK irregardless.

I've seen taro root at my local Whole Paycheck. What does one do with this? Peel, slice and fry? Bake?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    OMG! I've made fried plantains TWICE now! Fried 'em up in coconut oil until dark golden brown and salted them. AMAZING!

The only pain in the ass about them: I bought my first bunch brownish and spotty. They were a BITCH to peel, and I had to actually use a knife to cut away the peel, thus losing precious plantain flesh.

The next bunch I bought were larger and had far less brown tinge to them and were still a little green. These peeled wonderfully. Different flavour though. I thought they were a little milder in flavour. TASTY AS HECK irregardless.

I've seen taro root at my local Whole Paycheck. What does one do with this? Peel, slice and fry? Bake?
    Best way to peel a plantain--cut ends off, cut in half, cut one rib off, roll the meat out. You can't do it like a banana for sure! Taro--no idea, I'd like to try, too.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Plantain. I had to google to even see what they look like. Looks like baby bananas? The store in the bigger city might have some. I will have to give them a call.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Plantain. I had to google to even see what they look like. Looks like baby bananas? The store in the bigger city might have some. I will have to give them a call.
    Plantains usually look like large green bananas in the store. If you want them ripe (yellow) or dead-ripe (black skin) you may have to buy them green and let them ripen at home. You can find them in supermarkets and stores that cater to a Hispanic population.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Best way to peel a plantain--cut ends off, cut in half, cut one rib off, roll the meat out. You can't do it like a banana for sure! Taro--no idea, I'd like to try, too.
    I was trying to do something like this, but it was a real pain with the darkened plantains :-\

It doesn't matter. I HAVE MOAR.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I was trying to do something like this, but it was a real pain with the darkened plantains :-\

It doesn't matter. I HAVE MOAR.
    I've fallen in love with plantains recently. Here's an awesome recipe: Peel and cube into 1/4" squares, fry in fat of choice, put in a bowl and cover with beanless chili or even spaghetti sauce.

Here's another use: Peel and slice cross-ways or length ways. Put slices on a cookie sheet lightly oiled with coconut oil. Sprinkle fairly heavily with fine salt while still wet. Put cookie sheet in warm place, or even warm oven--but don't let them get over 120 degrees! Allow to dry until completely dry and crunchy (break easily). Use these as you would crackers or eat them like pretzels. This works best with greenest plantains you can buy but still peel.

Here's the big bonus with the dried plantain chips: Raw, unripe plantains, have the highest resistant starch content of any food item! 30g of dried plantain chips contain 25g of RS. We beat the RS horse to death here a few months ago, do a search for 'resistant starch' on google or this forum for more info.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd check in with some result.
    I've had a weight loss of 2lbs, but I definitely look more defined (more visible abs than I had ever hoped to see).

Overall the diet was not very trying and I think I'll probably give it another shot in a few weeks without the high level of exercise, and with more palatable recipes like simple potato soup.

Thanks for all the support and advice, it makes me so grateful to have a community of paleo pals who are always willing to lend a moment of their time. You guys rock.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Correction:
    You guys GROK!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123