Thread: Too Few Calories page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Too Few Calories

Shop Now
    Was just reading the really long thread about women who eat a lot but don't gain weight, and people's calorie counts for the day. I'm reading 2200, 3500 and even 4000!

Before I gave up the grains I was using MyFitnessPal to keep track of calories because I wanted to lose the 7kg I'd put on in 2011. I found it SO hard to stay below 1700, let alone the goal of 1200. I did manage to lose the weight, but was eating one English Muffin with vegemite/butter for breakfast, lunch was topping out at maybe 250 calories, and dinner was a small amount of meat with vegetables. And I was always hungry, was snacking on "diet" yoghurt and protein bars. And still not meeting the calorie goal every day.

Then I gave up grains, found out I was in fact doing this thing called Paleo, so stuck with it. There have been hiccups, and and what I called Fail-eo days, but now I'm at the point where I'm my perfect weight, getting toned much quicker, and full/satisfied most of the time (and when I'm not I just eat something).

Thing is, when I enter everything I eat into MyFitnessPal again, I'm actually around the 1200-1500 calorie mark! And to push that up I'd have to eat when not hungry.

I'm 5'8/'9, 140lb, 26 and female. I'm getting around 100-170g protein, maybe 60g of Fat and 50-100g carbs a day, but there's so much variation day to day and I don't normally count...

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds like you got it right to me. If you are asking if you are eating too few calories, that would only be if you were losing to an unhealthy level or feeling really run down.

Eating when not hungry in order to meet some arbitrary number in a chart written for SAD metabolisms makes no sense.

BTW, I love your avatar.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! yes, my avatar was chosen on the basis of how I feel these days :P

Working out:

I don't do anything extreme, but yes I do work out, and on those days I might have an extra something to eat, but I still find I don't exceed the 1500 mark very often.

I run/jog 2-3 times a week
    weights about 3 times a week, for 20-40mins (mostly own body weight, or squats, leg rises, lunges etc assisted with 3-5kg dumbells)
    I aim for 100 sit-ups a day, though I may skip sometimes
    and Martial Arts 2 days a week.

I'm hoping that I've reached the point where my body is in sync with my hunger levels and energy requirements...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You sound perfectly normal!

I find that I rarely eat above 1500 calories most days. I eat to hunger.

I eat nutrient-dense foods like liver, eggs, oysters, salmon, hard cheese, red meat, spinach, etc, so I get the micronutrients my body needs without eating a lot of excess calories that my body doesn't need.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sounds like you got it right to me. If you are asking if you are eating too few calories, that would only be if you were losing to an unhealthy level or feeling really run down.

Eating when not hungry in order to meet some arbitrary number in a chart written for SAD metabolisms makes no sense.

BTW, I love your avatar.
    This is what I have recently come to the realisation about.
    If you feel fine, and are losing not too quick, then its enough