Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Blood Pressure - Help page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

High Blood Pressure - Help

Shop Now
    All of a sudden my blood pressure starts peaking. I don't have any way to measure it, but I feel my heart beats all over by body. What is causing this and what should I do about it? I've been on PB a little over 4 months now. Is it not enough carbs? It's uncomfortable and a little frightening.

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Coffee?
    One cup in the morning, sometimes one cup at night. I'm sure willing to give that up but it doesn't seem like enough to have this effect, do you think? This spiking is happening like 12 times a day.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    It may not be elevated blood pressure. You need to measure it to be sure. To do so you have to sit down for 15 minutes before having it done so don't run to the nearest pharmacy.

Elevarted heart rate does not mean high bp.
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie79 View Post
    It may not be elevated blood pressure. You need to measure it to be sure. To do so you have to sit down for 15 minutes before having it done so don't run to the nearest pharmacy.

Elevarted heart rate does not mean high bp.
    OK, Thanks. When I run to the pharmacy, what should I ask for? Can they take my BP?

Paleobird Guest
    Most big chain pharmacies like CVS have bP machines you can use yourself or they will sell you a very inexpensive home model. Frenchie is right about the heart rate elevation=/=high BP. But you should test if it concerns you.

Another question: have you been eating a lot of coconut products lately? They can rev up your metabolism and give you that kind of "surge" feeling. Great for burning fat and nothing to be concerned about for heart health.

p.s. even if the coffee has nothing to do with what you are having right now, it would still do you nothing but good to get it out of your body.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    If you're worried about your BP, you should invest in a monitor you can use at home. I have a wrist monitor, and although they're supposed to be inaccurate, I test it periodically when I visit doctors, and it's always right on.

You usually don't 'feel' high BP--which is why it's known as a 'silent killer.' I have a tendency to low BP, and I get the feeling you describe if my BP drops too low. The heart beats faster to raise the BP, and if I check, my usual 64 pulse rate is up to 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Most big chain pharmacies like CVS have bP machines you can use yourself or they will sell you a very inexpensive home model. Frenchie is right about the heart rate elevation=/=high BP. But you should test if it concerns you.

Another question: have you been eating a lot of coconut products lately? They can rev up your metabolism and give you that kind of "surge" feeling. Great for burning fat and nothing to be concerned about for heart health.

p.s. even if the coffee has nothing to do with what you are having right now, it would still do you nothing but good to get it out of your body.
    In the last week I've changed from real cream to coconut cream but I've only used it in coffee so far. Is reving up metabolism the same as reving up heart rate. Why don't I already know these things?

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If you're worried about your BP, you should invest in a monitor you can use at home. I have a wrist monitor, and although they're supposed to be inaccurate, I test it periodically when I visit doctors, and it's always right on.

You usually don't 'feel' high BP--which is why it's known as a 'silent killer.' I have a tendency to low BP, and I get the feeling you describe if my BP drops too low. The heart beats faster to raise the BP, and if I check, my usual 64 pulse rate is up to 80.
    Thank you emmie. So it must be my heart rate, not pressure. But what is causing it to speed up? My heart rate is just normal, not low.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Usually there aren't many symptoms of high blood pressure. Palpitations are heart rate instead.

Also, yes coffee absolutely can raise your blood pressure! It happens to me, and I'm not even a big coffee drinker. Your 2 cups a day would be a lot for me. I also prefer the Starbucks type drinks to your classic Cup-a-Joe. In other words, drinks that are mostly milk or water with just a shot of espresso, which has less caffine than slow brewed coffees.
    Even that much, though, I've found will raise my blood pressure into the pre-hypertension range. I gave up lattes for a few days and found my blood pressure back under 120/80.
    I can't guarantee that everyone will have this result, but it could be the coffee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast