Thread: alternatives to pull ups? page

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member

alternatives to pull ups?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and trying to get my family to start doing primal fitness. The problem is that we have no good way to do the pull ups. We are all different heights and weights -- wide variations! We are in a small home with no good place to build anything.

It would be great if there was a different type of exercise that we could substitute -- maybe something with weights or bands?

If you have any suggestions I would love to here them. Thanks!!!

-Jodie

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any sort of bar at all? They make them that mount on exposed beams in ceilings, on joists, on walls, or even in doorways. There is even a freestanding one available at amazon that breaks down and stores easily.

People of any height can use the same bar. The short ones may have to climb a stool to reach it, and the taller ones can just bend their knees when using it.

I have one mounted on a naked wall in my dining room.

Watch some videos on YouTube for some options if you really can't get one.

do pullups anywhere - YouTube
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a doorway that you can hook a pull-up bar onto? They can be found inexpensively (<$30) and require no tools to install, just hook it over the door frame and go.

As far as other exercises go, overhead presses and rows using dumbbells or bands will help strengthen the same muscles as pull ups. American-style kettlebell swings, where you bring the bell fully overhead, also help get some of those upper back muscles. If you are really brave you can try hand stand push-ups, a Crossfit favorite. Do a handstand against a wall, lower yourself down as much as possible and push yourself back up.

Hope that helps!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what the strap things are called, but this might be an option if you have a railing or a playground available somewhere.
    Busting Bodyweight Exercise Myths
    Scroll down to the video and you can see what I'm talking about without needing to play the video.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you guys are just starting, I would recommend a set of rings, with a hook of some sort to use them over a closed door.

The rings will let you do rows for right now, and jackknife pullups (with your feet resting on the floor, or a stool/chair).

As people move beyond the jackknife pullups, the next step would be an actual bar. I've had good success with the doorframe ones.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you guys are just starting, I would recommend a set of rings, with a hook of some sort to use them over a closed door.

The rings will let you do rows for right now, and jackknife pullups (with your feet resting on the floor, or a stool/chair).

As people move beyond the jackknife pullups, the next step would be an actual bar. I've had good success with the doorframe ones.
    I would recommend against doing any kind of dips on rings for someone new. You need to build some shoulder strength before doing stuff like that, otherwise you're asking for injury.

kayell is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rows of various sorts will work pretty much the same muscles and for many people (especially many women) getting started are more possible than pull ups.

You can do seated or standing rows with a band wrapped around a pole or tree. Bent over rows with dumbbells. Inverted rows under a sturdy table or a railing.
    Last edited by kayell; 03-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.