Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is worse, dairy or grains? (for a vegetarian) page

FromEnglandWithLove is offline Junior Member

What is worse, dairy or grains? (for a vegetarian)

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

I've been a vegetarian my whole life (I never have and never will eat meat so don't even go there! ), and in the last year or so I'm giving up milk because it makes me feel a bit queasy/tired, and after drinking it the roof of my mouth will be a bit tender, so I'm guessing I have some intolerance to milk, but cheese doesn't seem to bother me.

I never really eat cheddar or other hard cheeses. The only dairy I consume on any kind of regular basis apart from the occasional cheat is Paneer and Ghee, both of which seem to agree with me no problem. I take regular whey protein shakes which help me recover after exercise, when I don't have them muscle soreness lasts much longer and it can take me a day or two to recover having one or two a day.

In regards to grains I think I have a gluten intolerance. I don't eat grains all that often, mostly it's wholegrain rice with chickpeas or lentils, ghee, spices and paneer, very occasional pasta and yeast-free flatbread type breads.

I'm trying to become a bit more lean (I worked out my body-fat around 8-9%), I swim around 4-5 hours a week, usually 400-600 lengths depending, as well as indoor rock climbing 3-6 hours a week, and gymnastics/crossfit workouts

I was wondering which would be the better option; try and reduce/eliminate grains from my diet, or target the dairy? From what I have read and my current understanding of health it's probably best to try and reduce the grain intake.

Hope somebody can give me some good advice, or point me to some resources that can help

Cheers

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FromEnglandWithLove View Post
    What is worse, dairy or grains? (for a vegetarian)
    Being a vegetarian.

Joking aside, whatever gives you any real symptoms.

kayell is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FromEnglandWithLove View Post
    Hi there,

I'm guessing I have some intolerance to milk, but cheese doesn't seem to bother me....

...Paneer and Ghee, both of which seem to agree with me no problem....

...I think I have a gluten intolerance.
    Sounds like an easy choice. Enjoy the paneer and ghee. Don't drink the milk or other dairy that disagrees with you. Skip the grains.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You have no choice but to give up gluten grains if you are intolerant. There is no other option.

tarek is online now Senior Member
    Definitely pass on the grains. If you really miss them, buy some sprouted corn tortillas and sprouted brown rice. White rice is also a good choice -- eat it with lots of vegetables and spices to compensate for the lack of nutrients.

If cheese doesn't cause problems for you, have at it.

Zach is offline Banned
    Agreed with above. Exclude the foods that disagree with you, not entire food groups.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Best option would be to just live with an 8-9% body fat rather than trying to get down to essential fat only (totally unhealthy).

Beyond that grains are useless and most cause ill health. If you are gluten intolerant you need to ditch them completely. Dairy is not necessary for health, but may not be inherently bad for you. Test yourself with full fat fermented first and work your way from there.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    There are people who are less intolerant to grains than others, but I've never met anybody who said they need grains for any other reason than "They taste good". Many people agree it makes them bloat etc.

You don't need them ever - and certainly not if you're gluten intolerant.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried raw or at least grass-fed dairy? It seems that those who have an intolerance to pasteurized products do well with whole and fresh.
    If you still want grains to be in your diet, many people do better by soaking and sprouting before cooking (and then eating) them.
    Also, since you're trying lean out, it might be helpful if you tell us what you do eat. Mostly vegetables and eggs?
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you still want grains to be part of your diet although you are apparently intolerant to gluten grains, and you eat gluten grains anyway, you are risking any number of long-term irreversible health problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast