Thread: Questions about nuts/oils? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Questions about nuts/oils?

Shop Now
    Hi,

First post here. I would like to incorporate more good sources of fat in my diet, primarily in the form of nuts and/or oils. I have stopped drinking dairy, and as of now, am not a big beef eater (still looking for good sources of grass fed beef). I eat wild caught salmon about 2-3 time a week, organic eggs everyday, nuts and seeds (organic almonds, pecans, walnuts, or cashews; occasional pumpkin, sunflower, or flax seeds) everyday. In addition to these sources of fats, what are some nut/oil sources with a good omega 6/omega 3 ratio? Of the foods that I have mentioned, which are the best, and which are ones that should be kept to a minimum? Is it worth looking into coconut oil, and what are its uses/taste? Thanks!

hsvendblad is offline Junior Member
    I went through the same phase, after being low-fat for so long it was a challenge to figure out how to properly get good fats. Here are some of the things I've learned:

1) Go easy on nuts and nut butters. Why? If you are trying to lose weight nuts are very dense in calories and will likely cause you to plateau or worse. Even if you are not trying to lose, you still want to limit your total PUFA consumption and most nuts are very high in PUFAs. A handful a day or Tbsp is a good amount. Here is a good post from Mark on Nuts and O6: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/

2) Do not walk, run and get some Coconut Oil. We get ours online at www.tropicaltraditions.com. I love the taste in just about anything... They also have a coconut cream concentrate that has some additional carbs but is also a good source of Coconut fat. You can Google the benefits of Coconuts and MCAA. Weston Price Foundation is a good source.

3) Don't be afraid of Saturated Fats. Butter, Ghee, Lard... Here is a good post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/

4) Supplement with Fish Oil

5) Try to maximize your consumption of grassfed meats, the fewer grassfed meats the more fish oil you should supplement with.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    dont depend on nuts/oils for your fats. use the fattiest cuts of meat, use butter/gree/lard/coconut oil in cooking, put eggyolks in everything, use coconut cream instead of coconut milk. if you want to throw some nuts in a salad, let them be macadamias - best O6/O3 ratio you can get from a nut. keep up with the salmon and supplement fishoil.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/