Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo diet slammed in Muscle & Fitness Hers page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

Paleo diet slammed in Muscle & Fitness Hers

Shop Now
    The cover of this month's Muscle & Fitness Hers (Muscle & Fiction, I've heard Robb Wolf call it) asks "Should You Eat Like Your Ancestors?" I wasn't surprised when their answer was no. The writer interviewed an R.D. (that's the only qualification listed) and spent less than a 1/2 page extolling the benefits of grains and legumes, ignoring that all the benefits she listed are also enjoyed in the paleo diet.

I'm not surprised given the source, but I'm still not impressed.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Looks like Robb Wolf called it! Really, CW is so old and tired and ineffective for most, but they just keep harping away with the SOSO.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Who are their sponsors and what would happen to their business if their readers got healthy without buying their products?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Who are their sponsors and what would happen to their business if their readers got healthy without buying their products?
    The sponsors own those magazines, literally. These mags are mostly infomercials to sell products. For example, a lot of these protein powders they sell have BCAAs - not particularly paleo. BCAS is fine if you are seriously trying to build muscle and have the capacity to build more. If you aren't building muscle BCAAS can lead to insulin resistance similarly to sugar (source: Fat Chance - Dr Robert Lustig MD).
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

I didn't know that about BCAAs - and everybody's selling them now! Every line has an amino acid drink mix all of a sudden. I just wanna lift - I see no reason to drink watermelon flavored potions that I don't quite understand the purpose of. And if they cause insulin-resistance, good thing I decided to stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    The sponsors own those magazines, literally. These mags are mostly infomercials to sell products. For example, a lot of these protein powders they sell have BCAAs - not particularly paleo. BCAS is fine if you are seriously trying to build muscle and have the capacity to build more. If you aren't building muscle BCAAS can lead to insulin resistance similarly to sugar (source: Fat Chance - Dr Robert Lustig MD).
    So what you're saying is that it's unlikely we'll see a series of articles in the near future on how to get the protein we need from real foods consumed as meals rather than chemical shakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    all whey protein contains BCAAs. so do meat and eggs. pretty paleo if u ask me.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    sometime last year or the year before there was a several page article in favor of it

but there is a new editor and she's been steering it back to vegetarian/cw. this month's magazine was disappointing, it was almost like every 2nd word was an ad
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    sometime last year or the year before there was a several page article in favor of it

but there is a new editor and she's been steering it back to vegetarian/cw. this month's magazine was disappointing, it was almost like every 2nd word was an ad
    Seriously? She owns the Nebraska Steakhouse here in NYC! That's crazy that she would be pushing vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Seriously? She owns the Nebraska Steakhouse here in NYC! That's crazy that she would be pushing vegetarian!
    People who eat vegetarian need to buy more supplements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast