Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard boiled egg peeling help page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Hard boiled egg peeling help

Primal Fuel
    I've read over the suggestions for the best way to make HB eggs easy to peel. BUT... I usually boil up 12-18 for the week and once they sit in the fridge they are impossible to peel. If I peel them right away, they are fine, but the membrane seems to re-adhere over time...?

My method (a la nomnompaleo). Pierce tip of egg with needle. Cold water with eggs into pot. Bring to boil uncovered. Turn off heat and cover for 10 minutes. 5 minute ice bath. The eggs are a breeze to peel immediately after this. Any tips for how to improve peel-ability a few days out?

I've tried just peeling them all and keeping them in the fridge that way... but they got a little funky.

ludobear is offline Junior Member
    Recently I have started buying eggs from a local farm. They are brown eggs (not sure if it really makes a difference). My method for boiling eggs is to put eggs + cool water in a pan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover 17 minutes then drain and rinse with cold water for 2 minutes. I can peel them easily right away or toss them in the fridge until ready and they still peel easy.
    Starting Primal: 2/24/13

SW: 261.5 | GW: 135 | CW: 255.25

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I find it helps to crack the eggs all around and start peeling from the flat end. When I do this with a cold egg that has been in fridge two or three days it works great. If I peel, but don't use right away, I put them in bowl with some water...of course, you don't want to do this if the white has a tear in it.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Use older eggs. Seriously. It's gotten to the point where if I have no non-fresh eggs and have to hard boil eggs I just bought, but then peel them easily, I get pissed at the market for stocking old eggs.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I always plunge them into cold water, bash the air pocket ends, then roll and peel them as soon as they are cool enough to handle. It is so much easier and quicker.

I read an article on the Huffington Post a while back where the author thought everybody should cut the unpeeled boiled eggs in half lengthwise after boiling and scoop them out of their shells with a spoon. I thought he was an idiot.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I read an article on the Huffington Post a while back where the author thought everybody should cut the unpeeled boiled eggs in half lengthwise after boiling and scoop them out of their shells with a spoon. I thought he was an idiot.
    I do this all the time with HOT hard or medium boiled eggs, smashed up with a tablespoon of butter and a dash of salt.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I cook boiled eggs VERY slowly - and I start with ice cold water if I've just taken them out of the fridge. It might take me 45 minutes to get them to a boil! I boil for 10-12 minutes & cool them off FAST - I take them out of the boiling hot water with a slotted spoon and put them into ice water for 20-30 minutes. I never have problems peeling them when I use this approach - any other cooking method gives me a lot of problems peeling them. This works with eggs laid two days ago or eggs from the store - I've no idea why this works so well but it does.

Zach is offline Banned
    Boiling eggs takes 15 minutes, tops. Why cant you just boil them daily? Also adding salt and vinager to the water supposedly makes them easier to peel.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I get up at 5 already to walk the dogs, run, do my push ups, pull ups and pistols and get out the door by 7:15. I have to have breakfast and lunch packed daily, so being able to have the eggs ready to go is really nice

I tried today's batch with a little baking soda... we'll see if it helps. I hadn't read about the salt or vinegar.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I do this all the time with HOT hard or medium boiled eggs, smashed up with a tablespoon of butter and a dash of salt.
    My mother used to serve soft-boiled eggs that way. But for cold hard-boiled eggs, no way. He thought all boiled eggs should be prepared that way.

I boil eggs the evening before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast