Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The sugar addict page 3

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    One thing that's helped is realizing that a chocolate craving is really a magnesium craving. When I started takign magnesium supplements, using magnesium oil as my deodorant, and taking epsom salt baths every couple of days, the chocolate cravings vanished. I still keep some GAPS Chocolate Drops made with coco powder instead of Baker's Chocolate on hand for those days that I do need some chocolate.
    I used to eat chocolate like that.... dove square every 5-10 minutes. When I started PB, my 20% was often chocolate and I supplemented magnesium. I think the reason I needed chocolate was the sugar addiction. I broke the sugar addiction and take a magnesium supplement and I never want chocolate anymore.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I was a sugar/wheat addict. And, yes, I do look at things differently now. I have always been an observer of people, interested in their body types, clothes, and grocery carts, etc. A while back, a temperamental older female relative who regularly disrupts family gatherings with loud, obnoxious rants, often political or monetary, erupted. Just before the outburst, she had eaten three portions of a "diet" dessert--sugar-free pudding between layers of regular cake-mix cake. This woman has been a type 2 diabetic for maybe 10 years. I suspect she has always had a gluten-intolerance issue, too, because so many of her symptoms fit Dr. Davis's Wheat Belly theory.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the magnesium/chocolate connection reminder. I'd love to give up the ridiculous chocolate cravings I have. I had forgotten that good quality choc can be a source of magnesium. I am adding Mg supplements to my "to Buy" list this week. Off to find the best type of Mg supplement...

I don't know I was a sugar "addict" but "habitual user" is a great descriptor. It had to come in the form of something chocolatey, preferably in M&M or cake form. Or even a Hershey bar or Reece's Cups. So, part of it was a wheat thing (which I have fully kicked for about 2 years now), partly a sugar thing. I want to be sugar-free. I need to put my mind to it and to learn more about what sugar is doing to me so I have the correct mind-frame to keep the sugar at bay. Knowledge is key!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

DaveHarper88 is offline Junior Member
    I'm in New Zealand. One of our better known retired rugby players who had been out of the game for twelve months and had started to pack the weight on without the rigorous daily work outs they are used to - gave up sugar. In six months he had lost 40 lbs. It works.

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    A while back, a temperamental older female relative who regularly disrupts family gatherings with loud, obnoxious rants, often political or monetary, erupted. Just before the outburst, she had eaten three portions of a "diet" dessert--sugar-free pudding between layers of regular cake-mix cake. This woman has been a type 2 diabetic for maybe 10 years. I suspect she has always had a gluten-intolerance issue, too, because so many of her symptoms fit Dr. Davis's Wheat Belly theory.
    I love this story. Whether or not it was the sugar that spurred the outburst, it certainly didn't help, I am sure. This reminds me of a point Dr Cate Shanahan made in her book "Deep Nutrition": how can we expect today's youth to learn manners if they're constantly pumped up on sugar? And then when they crash and burn and throw a fit, we offer them even more sugary treats. I say we in the sense of community, because I certainly will not give my kids sugar-laden treats. But her point is valid. Kids don't have ADD, they have sugar! (I know this isn't entirely true, but I am sure it has a large deal to do with ADD/ADHD).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123