Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The sugar addict page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I personally think there is a sliding scale of desire. On one end is "no desire", and the other "addiction". Also on the scale but not reaching the level of "addicted" I see "user" and "habitual user". "Addiction" implies out-of-control despite major problems it causes.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    I have a side question though: my mom recently gave up drinking diet drinks and claimed to lose 6lbs. Is there any known mechanism in which artificial sweeteners are hydrated in your body, causing you to retain water and thus, bloat?
    I have heard on a bunch of podcasts (Robb Wolf, Everyday Paleo etc) that just the taste of the something sweet can stimulate insulin production. I think the experiment cited involved runners swilling their mouths out with artificially sweetened water and then being able to carry on running for longer.

Plus, soft drinks contain salt (to make your thirstier and thus drink more), so this may be a factor also.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I personally think there is a sliding scale of desire. On one end is "no desire", and the other "addiction". Also on the scale but not reaching the level of "addicted" I see "user" and "habitual user". "Addiction" implies out-of-control despite major problems it causes.
    Good point. I think Hubby is more of a habitual user.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not a big sugar lover, though I have my days. However, put me in an Italian deli, and I'll show you a fat eater. I believe in both moderation and a lower carb way of eating. Given a choice between a sweet and some good cheese, I'd choose the cheese every time. OTOH, if pizza were good for me, I'd eat it a lot.

Recently when I want something sweet, I mix cocoa powder into some ricotta or cream cheese with some artificial sweetener. I think the last time was about a month ago. I think of it as mock pudding.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    He occasionally gets a halvah bar at the health food store, these aren't the good kind you can get at a Middle Eastern market but the " healthy" kind made with brown rice syrup. The last time he got one he said it wasn't that good but still he wants to get one when ever he has a chance, the same goes with other sweets.
    This is an awesome example.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I have heard on a bunch of podcasts (Robb Wolf, Everyday Paleo etc) that just the taste of the something sweet can stimulate insulin production. I think the experiment cited involved runners swilling their mouths out with artificially sweetened water and then being able to carry on running for longer.
    I am not sure I am seeing the connection here. Why would stimulating insulin allow the runners to carry on longer? Since insulin promotes sequestration of glucose/fat, wouldn't this rob your muscles of glucose during activity and thus decrease performance? Or, on the other hand, does it aid in allowing the muscles to take in more glucose and somehow halt it from being stored in fat?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Major family of sugar addicts here. Not old Gwamma thou ! Never really have been into sugar in a big way ('cept red wine). What bugs me to this day is.....
    At age 14 first was finally diagnosed with ADD. Not so common in girls, and for years my doctor told me I was "just a bad parent", even thou I took her numerous times to the doctor to try and sort out all her "issues"
    Anyhoo finally diagnosed, put on ritalin, saw a wee bit of an improvement......
    However as the years went by I was adamant that there was a relationship between firsts sugar consumption and her ADD symptoms.
    So I consciously reduced her sugar intake.
    First is now 27 with two of her own sons, and they have just been to stay for the weekend. What a total windup !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't have many/ if any grain and sugar products in the house, however DH likes his sugar and grains too.
    First bought lots of SHIT for the children to eat, and they bounced off the walls for the entire stay. First was also displaying alot of her old ADD symptoms......... totally engrossed in TV whilst the boys were crying beside her, inability to focus for any length of time, flitting from one thing to another when she finally was able to pull herself away from the TV.
    Honestly Gwamma was not impressed.
    When I try to discuss the sugar thing with her, she gets all defensive etc........... so I don't bother. But it is very interesting to observe.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    When I try to discuss the sugar thing with her, she gets all defensive etc........... so I don't bother. But it is very interesting to observe.
    This is what makes me laugh. People become so defensive when you suggest that sugar could be causing their problems. I have learned to let it go, as you have.

Sometimes my girlfriend (mostly around that time of the month) will go on a sugar binge after dinner, and ends up being quite lethargic for obvious reasons. She complains about being tired, I wonder why?? Anyway, I have decided not to push my own experiences/facts on others, including my beautiful girlfriend, so that I don't give others a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to health. People truly do need to learn things on their own...

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    Anyway, I have decided not to push my own experiences/facts on others, including my beautiful girlfriend, so that I don't give others a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to health. People truly do need to learn things on their own...
    I so agree with you on that one FPBD. ......... and just sometimes they come back to you and say "I finally gave it a go - and *gasp* it works !!!!!"
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    The sugar habit is a hard one to kick. I've been working at it for several months now. I do use raw honey in my tea every morning for the health benefits. Besides, I need it to help with the ACV that I also put in my tea!

Yes, I too have noticed how people keep going back for more sugar. I used to be the same way. Now, I can have my spoonful of coconut oil "chocolate" and be happy. Used to be I'd eat one Hershey's Nugget and go back for another every five minutes for an hour.

One thing that's helped is realizing that a chocolate craving is really a magnesium craving. When I started takign magnesium supplements, using magnesium oil as my deodorant, and taking epsom salt baths every couple of days, the chocolate cravings vanished. I still keep some GAPS Chocolate Drops made with coco powder instead of Baker's Chocolate on hand for those days that I do need some chocolate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast