Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bacon and Eggs fro breakfast club! page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Pigs are dirty animals
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Emfuser is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing this for over a year and I'm beginning to wonder if they high omega-6 PUFA content of bacon fat is what's holding my total and LDL cholesterol high. I get some decent quality bacon from a southeastern whole/organic food chain (Earthfare, if you're in the area), but I don't know if the two rather thick slices a day I'm eating with the eggs should be replaced with something like beef or fish. I just started taking fish oil so I'm hoping that helps.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Mmmmm. Love bacon. I get mine from an Amish farmer or Wellness Meats (no nitrates or sugar). Don't eat it every day and not necessarily for breakfast.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Eggs every day, usually as a vegetable omelette. Never get tired of them. Sometimes add bacon or cheese as well.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I don't do breakfast, so I have my eggs for lunch. I love them. I usually have some sort of omelet.

Bacon disgusts me. Eggs I could eat every day though. And probably do.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I have my own chickens as well. I cannot stand the taste of store/ restaurant eggs. Bacon... Pufas. Dunno. I will have my own bacon this fall and intend to have it processed without nitrates, etc.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Why do you guys like bacon so much? Serious question. You do know it's not exactly good for you, right? Is eating low carb just your way of excusing yourselves of eating whatever processed meat you want?

I want to make a bacon haters group, cause that stuff is seriously nasty and hurts my stomach so bad since cleaning up my diet.

I like it because it tastes good. That said, I recall seeing a shirt that said, "Bacon is meat candy" and that is how I treat it. I know it is not optimal so I eat it as a treat. I get it from a specialty shop and it is basically just smoked pork belly (smoked on site) which they then slice to order. I say 'basically' because they have different varieties which are spiced differently. Yesterday I had 3 slices of jalapeno bacon - pork belly, rubbed with pureed jalapenos before/after being smoked.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Why do you guys like bacon so much? Serious question. You do know it's not exactly good for you, right? Is eating low carb just your way of excusing yourselves of eating whatever processed meat you want?
    I want to make a bacon haters group, cause that stuff is seriously nasty and hurts my stomach so bad since cleaning up my diet.
    At the risk of agreeing with Derpy, I'm agreeing with Derpy. I don't eat bacon at all or any other pork.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfuser View Post
    I've been doing this for over a year and I'm beginning to wonder if they high omega-6 PUFA content of bacon fat is what's holding my total and LDL cholesterol high.
    I also think high bacon consumption is holding a lot of PBers back from reaching their weight loss goals.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    "Bacon is meat candy" and that is how I treat it. I know it is not optimal so I eat it as a treat.
    This is a sensible attitude. Bacon is not and is never going to be a health food. I think there is a lot of self deception about that around here.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Bacon made from pastured pork belly really is just fine IMO. I gotta admit that all the scientific reasoning in the world that we should concentrate on ruminants for our meat can't convince me that eating pig and fowl is inherently suboptimal. I love good BBQ and for me pork will always be king of the meats for the smoker.

All that said I still only get around to cooking up bacon about once a week. So yeah, usually I'm in the eggs and eggs club. I'm far more likely to throw a whole pork shoulder on the smoker and eat pulled pork for days on end

jaczor is offline Member
    Damn, I wasn't expecting all this bacon negativity!

My weightloss has been going fine, my LDL was a tad high after two months paleo (however, it was during the holidays when my diet wasn't exactly clean, ate quite a few bad carbs for about 3 week prior to it), could bacon be the cause? if so, why? I guess I could substitute it with sausage or chorizo and only have it two or three times a week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast