Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts from a still new PBer. page 3

Beets is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes I also have a sugar addiction. As I just wrote on a other thread some people can eat a single serving of something sugary and good for them. That isn't "willpower" it's the way their bodies work.

I had two kids without any meds after using relaxation and self-hypnosis exercises. These really worked for me in that setting so I tried them for eating as well. I've had success and if you are interested David Illig is my favorite.

An interesting book that looks at the biochemistry of sugar addiction is "Potatoes not Prozac." Silly name, great book. Also, rats fed a lot of sugar who are taken off sugar go into something that looks like opiate withdrawal, not surprising since sugar does indeed act like an opiate on the brain.

Some people can have "a beer" or do coke once or smoke a single cigarette every three years at a wedding and other people can't. It's not about "willpower."

Good for you, OP, and I wish you the best. I quit sugar almost a month ago. It was brutal at first but stopping all sugar (no honey or agave or anything else sweet) has worked much better than any other time I've tried to stop.

Beets is offline Junior Member
    Also I've never tried to eat a bag of sugar. It sounds awfully dry. But mix it into water with a squeeze of lemon and I bet I could drink a whole bunch of it.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Personally I'll never understand anyone who tries to put down a way of eating that is healthy and logical in addition to the other parts of Primal which are just common sense. And anyone who tries to set a relative newby who is having success down a different path is being an asswipe.
    Me either. Especially since, in general, they are theorists with no real world experience in beating this kind of addiction or in losing significant pounds/improving health.

To the OP: Congratulations on finding a path that works for you! I found that sugar and grain products were my downfall as well and by eliminating them from my diet, I was able to lose the weight I'd struggled to lose for years and years. I've been at a normal weight for several years now and only recently have found that I can very occasionally indulge in my nemesis foods without inducing cravings. This change in my body's reactions was slow in developing and something I won't tempt fate over in the future. Good wishes to you!!
    Last edited by janie; 03-03-2013 at 07:13 AM.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    Why would I spend my life trying to prove to myself or others otherwise when I could just give it up and be happier and healthier?
    There is tremendous life power in being able to say "no".

Whatever the real benefit/harm of sugar, your ability to put it aside is already a bigger victory than you may know, yet.

Thumbs-up!

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Me either. Especially since, in general, they are theorists with no real world experience in beating this kind of addiction or in losing significant pounds/improving health.

To the OP: Congratulations on finding a path that works for you! I found that sugar and grain products were my downfall as well and by eliminating them from my diet, I was able to lose the weight I'd struggled to lose for years and years. I've been at a normal weight for several years now and only recently have found that I can very occasionally indulge in my nemesis foods without inducing cravings. This change in my body's reactions was slow in developing and something I won't tempt fate over in the future. Good wishes to you!!
    There's nothing like being told you're wrong about your own body, your own self, by a person who has no idea of what you're experiencing. Timthetaco, you are a man telling a woman to sit down and shut up because she's not capable of recognising what's going on in her own body.

Here's an idea. Why don't you STFU?

OP, huge congrats on facing your demons and taking steps towards living your best life. Be guided by what you feel. If you're feeling happier and healthier and more in control of your life, you know you're on the right track. Best of luck in your journey. Never stop seeking, never lose faith.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There's something more to this argument than food.

Most people are emotionally invested in their WOE, be it the SAD that they got at home from the example of their family, or something they discovered on the internet, tried, and they perceive works for them. The same volleys go back and forth between meat-eaters and vegetarians, between low fat "CW experts" and Atkins dieters, between people who eat nothing but fast food and junk food and those who prepare and eat a variety of different foods that may have been common only a couple of generations ago but now seem unfamiliar, between those who eat mostly wheat products and those who do not, even if they have no choice due to medical issues.

It's a young, healthy, athletic person who would have thrived following almost any lifestyle imagining that the one they settled on is not only perfect for everyone but the only one that could ever work for anyone.

It's about the feeling that merely by eating something different, even considering eating in a different way, someone is threatening your way of life. For some that means that people who don't eat pizza and burgers all the time are un-American. For others it means that if someone tries a diet and finds it works for them, even though what you do failed for them in the past, they need to be stopped. Their health is not really an issue. They are wrong, and they need to keep trying it until it works for them.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    OP: that's awesome, great to hear you're making progress! Maybe one day you can incorporate whole food carbs (fruit, honey, potatoes, sprouted grains, etc.) back into your diet without any ill-effects. But in the meantime, do what works for you and don't worry about conflicting points of view. Low-carb can be a GREAT way to lose weight and get your metabolism back in check. Good luck!
    Last edited by tarek; 03-03-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    There's nothing like being told you're wrong about your own body, your own self, by a person who has no idea of what you're experiencing. Timthetaco, you are a man telling a woman to sit down and shut up because she's not capable of recognising what's going on in her own body.

Here's an idea. Why don't you STFU?
    I didn't tell her to sit down and shut up, and I didn't imply she doesn't understand her own body. I said simply that the insulin hypothesis isn't true. It was late at night, I was bored, and I posted something I feel people ought to know. But it was irrelevant to the greater point of the thread, which Magnolia pointed out, and I apologized. This has nothing to do with gender. I don't know why you brought it up. It would probably do you good to block me to spare yourself future stress.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    My post was a reply specifically to the line where she blamed her weight gain entirely on sugar. Maybe I misunderstood that sugar causes her to binge, and that was responsible for the weight gain. I just want people in general, not just the OP, to understand low carb and paleo don't work the way they think they do.

So Walrus, I apologize if you felt like I was trying to dissuade you from trying this. I think you'll have great success, actually, as low carb is a great way to reduce fat efficiently, especially in the obese.
    I think it was just a misunderstanding. Like I said I know little about science really. I know an eensy bit about nutrition but when it comes down to it I'm a babe in the woods. I should've made it more clear that I believe sugar has been the cause of my binges which have been the cause of my weight gain.

But I do think you were making a big assumption by thinking you knew how I thought paleo and primal worked.

I said sugar was bad. Primal works for me because I eat tasty food that is satisfying. Avoiding sugar is working because sugar, for whatever reason, makes me want to binge. I didn't really elaborate too much on why I think primal is working.

I think if I were younger or more confused on the subject then your response might've deterred me from even pressing onward, and I think that's the kind of thing that's keeping people from trying new things to find the right way of eating for themselves. Just when you think you're on to something someone tells you you're dead wrong.

It's not a fault to believe in something and to want to tell people about it but maybe the way you deliver it could be handled better? Especially if your experiences with weight and health differ greatly from the other person.

Timthetaco Guest
    I apologize again, and I don't want to discourage you. I lost a lot of weight eating no sugar and low carb, so I have no doubts you can do it as well, and I hope it helps with the binging.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast