Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ..................paying it forward.................. page

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member

..................paying it forward..................

Shop Now
    I am a huge believer in paying it forward - or giving a little back.
    Each one of us sucks/takes so much out of a community, and I believe that to truely get some balance back in our own lives - we need to give something back.

some of us give nothing............
    some of us give a little...............
    some of us give huge amounts................

I am curious - what do you do to give a wee bit back into your community ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Paleobird Guest
    I donate blood every eight weeks.

I think that is fantastic PB. I am also just looking into doing this. Middle DD also regularly donates blood.

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I used to sell my plasma, but that's not very giving since I got paid. However, since the wait time and give time meant the payment was barely minimum wage, I kind of sort of felt like it was donating. (I can rationalize anything.)

There's a couple here going through a rough patch - you have to promise not to tell. I leave stuff for them like food, decent beer, etc. Shhhh.

I never had children. That was me donating zero polluters to the planet. I told you I could rationalize anything.

The Big Chill and rationalizations:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Whenever my kid's special needs school needs donations of time, money, or supplies, we are there. We also save the best of our Goodwill donations of outgrown clothing, shoes, toys, etc for the school nurse - she gets the items directly into the hands of the family who could use it most. One of the benefits of a rural school - fewer middlemen. Otherwise we keep out of trouble - no using taxpayer/community resources to keep us in the clink or on the government dole, for example.

Hubby donates blood. I wish I could, but no blood bank will touch me for the sole reason that I lived in Europe during the mad cow 80s.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    My neighbors across the street lost their middle daughter, 9 year old in an auto accident last year on Christmas day.
    Every once in a while i bring over a home cooked meal or some other food I've bought. I have also offered my babysitting services if and when needed. The father suffered serious injuries and is not able to provide for the family. So sad. Wish I could do more.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I work with special needs kids. Yes I get paid, and to be fair I probably get afar more out of it then they do but I also put a lot in for very little money. So maybe I am rationalizing too I know I could do more...
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

canio6 Guest
    Just having me in the neighborhood raises property values. kidding.

I donated blood every 8 weeks until they told me I couldn't due to being a risk for mad cow disease.

I donate to a couple of charities for homeless kids.

I do charity events for the local symphony, high school, and donate to the girl scouts (no, I don't buy the cookies). I also always buy whatever the little kids upstairs are selling for their elementary school.

Oh, and I treat service personnel - cashiers, waiters, custodians with dignity and respect.

TL;DR I try not to be a douche...well, except on the internet.

you guys rock !!!!!!!
    I spent 6 years as a volunteer on our local ambulance service. It ended up being 1 x 24 hour shift per week. We were lucky, or unlucky as the case may be - that we had a huge area to cover, so when we got a call out it was usually a goodie, and would take a fair few hours to get to the patient, deal with whatever injuries and then transport to Christchurch.

These days I like to give anonymously to various people and charities, but I really should be doing a bit more. DH is involved with the Lions, so is always out there raising money for something or other.

It does give me warm fuzzies when you give a little of yourself. And usually people really appreciate it.
    During one of the big earthquakes in CHCH, I was in a large mall. The earthquake struck and the place was just going up down and in all directions. It was mayhem...... people running and screaming everywhere. I actually was so shocked by everyones reaction that I didn't panic or run. Actually alot of people died when they panic'd and ran out of buildings. The facades got them on the way out...... anyhoo once I was able to get out of the shop and into the mall itself, I found this poor little old man, who couldn't speak or move. He was having an emphysemic attack. Anyway old hero here stayed with him, found a computer chair, and finally got him outside. I found his car and got the oxygen onto him. But it was a really interesting experience, firstly because no-one was helping him, and I got there way after hundreds of people had run past, and just the shear panic of the masses.

moral of the story - I'm a hero and your not !!!!!!!!!! well you might be, and I hope you don't ever find out in an earthquake !!!!!

...small steps....

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    This thread reminds me that sharing what you share can inspire others to share also. Many years ago, we used to get paid the balance of our unused sick time where we worked. I had been healthy that year and got basically 2 weeks pay. Being grateful for my health, I stopped by the rescue mission on my way home and gave them the entire amount. My boss happened to be in the car, getting a ride home from me ( the mission was on the way home). There was a line of people waiting outside for food or whatever and since I was young and in a rough part of town, I was glad for the company. The next night, as she rode home with her room mate, she stopped and gave a large donation. The following night, the room mate stopped and gave money that she had. This pattern continued on for a bit as we all worked in the same office and word got around to other giving spirits. You never know what one action you take can lead to such a large effect.

Currently I mostly volunteer at my kids schools, but I have always felt that it is very important to give time to my community. Little things like helping neighbors makes all the difference.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast