Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ..................paying it forward.................. page 2

Rhiannon8404 is offline Junior Member
    I volunteer a couple days a week at the city animal shelter. I coordinate a program that works with pit bulls to teach them leash manners, basic obedience and give them lots of socialization so they are more likely to be adopted. The program is sponsored by Chako Pit Bull Rescue and my son and I both also volunteer directly with them.

I work for a small company that makes very nice leather dog collars. I coordinate their collar donation program where we donate collars to various non-profit dog rescue groups either directly for the dogs or as auction or raffle items.

We also regularly give or donate item to various local charities and Goodwill.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I help with fundraisers that we organize where I work. My family tries to regularly attend the volunteer fire departments fundraisers in several of the towns we live near. Ever been to a Rocky Mountain Oyster feed? We also donate plenty of the "oysters". We NEVER tell the kids which organ meat it is .

Our oldest son is in Boy Scouts and we donate extra to Friends of Scouting so that maybe a couple of boys who wouldn't be able to participate, can.

Living in a rural community can really bring you closer to your neighbors

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I worked in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) for about 15 years, I was working for a paid service but for some of the stuff that paramedics have to put up with, they can't pay you enough.

Volunteer fire fighter during part of that time

Reserve (volunteer) deputy sheriff

My wife and I adopted 4 "special needs" kids, I put the special needs in quotes because they have grown up just fine. Before the adoptions, we foster parented somewhere around 35 kids over a span of 15 years.

Guess thats it.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    wow - this is huge
    I take my hat off to you all.
    I don't believe that communities would survive without good people like yourselves
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I'm an enabler I enable my OH to do volunteer work with AIMS and NCT, that being her thing (esp the whole maternity/birth rights thing)

I'd like to do more political/economic/eco stuff (all linked in my mind to one issue) but I don't really know where to start that will actually do some good other than 'living the change' the best I can, and being a member of the Green Party, which at least have some good ideas IMO though will probably never get into a powerful postion in my lifetime.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have donated my accrued annual leave to coworkers... I've given leave to one whose 14 year old daughter needed a heart transplant, one who had severe complications with a routine surgery that was botched, and one whose 8 year old son needed weekly chemotherapy treatments.

I also donate to the Wounded Warrior Project, one of the great charities that helps our wounded troops recover, rehabilitate, go to college, and find jobs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I work with special needs kids. Yes I get paid, and to be fair I probably get afar more out of it then they do but I also put a lot in for very little money. So maybe I am rationalizing too I know I could do more...
    I taught for years and while I think that anyone who teaches is paying it forward in that they don't get paid nearly enough, teaching special needs kids is a special kind of calling. I salute you.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    As the mom of a special needs son, I hold all teachers of such kids in the highest regard. My grateful appreciation to you all. You are a rare and wonderful breed!

As for me:

I have been a coach and team manager for 9 years for Special Olympics - soccer team all summer and floor hockey team all winter. In addition, I attend monthly community council meetings for Special Olympics and help out at various additional events. This summer, I will be taking out Soccer team to the Provincial Games for the 3rd time (every 4 years, and we have qualified three times in a row!)

I volunteer at church. Teach adult church school, run a weekly quilting group. preside on Sunday mornings, do occasional sermons.

Professionally, I take on dietetic students for training experience during their practicum or internship.

I have gone to Guatemala and Honduras for development and building work 5 times, each a two week trip that I fundraised for the cost of - a months long process, and collected school materials, kids shoes etc to take along.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    In the past I was a phone councler at a suicide/trauma hotline. I tended the emergency information hotline on 9-11. I have volunteered at St Francis house and at Ronald McDonald's house. I have payroll deductions for two charities (20 a piece every two weeks.) I generally won't give cash for beggers but do have a few gift cards for the needy.

Right now I am looking for something to volunteer some time but have not found the "right" fit.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As the mom of a special needs son, I hold all teachers of such kids in the highest regard. My grateful appreciation to you all. You are a rare and wonderful breed!
    I taught for years and while I think that anyone who teaches is paying it forward in that they don't get paid nearly enough, teaching special needs kids is a special kind of calling. I salute you.
    Thank you both Honestly I love my job. I am a speech language pathologist and work at the special needs school, the emotional behavioral disorders school and a general education school. The only bad thing is the political bs that keeps us from doing what the kids need. So I often feel like I am the one getting the most out of it instead of the one giving

I generally won't give cash for beggers but do have a few gift cards for the needy.
    I do give cash but it is more of a knee jerk I don't know how to help reaction. I have a friend who keeps water and small snack bags in his car to give out. I keep saying I will do this but I haven't yet.

I am inspired by everyone's contributions!
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast