Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunch ideas for a plumber page

Lunch ideas for a plumber

Primal Fuel
    We started a couple of years ago with Primal Blueprint, and have been on-again-off-again for that long. When we're ON, we feel really great, have more energy, and lose weight. We have since taken custody of my step son who is 16 years old and also needs to be primal due to extreme acne, and he's a walking sweet tooth (gee, wonder why the acne?) My husband is the most gluten-intolerant (and lactose intolerant) of the three of us, son in the middle, and I'm probably the least affected by it, but still prefer a primal diet.

I work in an office, so taking leftovers from the night before, or just primal chicken salad lettuce wraps is not a problem for me. I have my own fridge, and a microwave in the breakroom. But, my husband is a plumber, and I'm finding it quite difficult to plan his lunches following the primal guidelines. Never know when his break will be, no microwave to heat things up. I must admit we are not 100% primal...we gravitate towards corn tortillas a lot, and being on a very tight budget as of late, we still consume quite a bit of brown rice, as what we buy and what I cook has to stretch a long way. My son takes his lunch to school every day (and actually likes doing so, so I'm very thankful for that). Obviously the easiest thing for them to take is a sandwich. Obviously not primal. So, the past couple of weeks I've been making gluten free bread (mix by Bob's Red Mill). It's good, but still not primal even though it's gluten free. So I'm looking for some ideas here. But, to start, I'll share what we currently do.

This is what our typical weekday food intake looks like:

Morning:
    Fruit and green smoothie - filtered water, frozen mixed fruit or berries, flax seed, green superfood powder, apple cider vinegar, protein powder (has been soy, because I'm not sure how my husband will tolerate whey), all mixed in a Vitamix.

Lunch and snacks:
    - Husband usually takes one or two Atkins shakes, nuts or trail mix, dried fruit (like cranberries), a gluten free bread sandwich with homemade mayo, lunchmeat and cheese.
    - Son usually takes the same kind of sandwich (has been regular bread, but now the homemade g-free), an apple and chips. (not primal in the least)
    -I will either take leftovers, or make chicken salad with pesto and homemade mayo. I have been taking gluten free crackers to try to avoid too much of any kind of bread. And yogurt and a banana or apple is usually my snack if I take one.

Dinner -
    casseroles either involving brown rice, chicken or beef, cheese, corn tortillas. Soups with mixed vegetables, beef or chicken.

As I write this, it looks even worse than I thought. With the life changes it's just been difficult to get back to primal/paleo the right way. When we were 100% paleo before, we didn't have our son, we weren't on as tight of a budget, and my husband worked from home. Now, he's a plumber full time, so just the nature of his job is restricting and more welcoming of the "easy" to eat foods.

Please give me some suggestions how to modify our diet!
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Have you really read "The Primal Blueprint", maybe your library has it.

Yes I have. And I have it in my own library. Thanks.
    Last edited by aprilleigh1974; 03-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Hearty salads. Instead of using bread use summer roll wrappers with lettuce and meat. If I use 2 it'll still be easy to eat at lunch and no heating needed. I've got a nice lunch box and an ice pack, so yogurt is still edible by lunch as well. You can make home made larabars as a dessert. Cold quiche is also tasty and can have lots of veggies.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I also enjoy cold sweet potato chunks as part of my lunch. I'm generally not picky about temperature and will eat room temp stew so I'm probably not the best person to give advice.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    i don't really understand the concern. Pack your hubster leftovers from the night before. Get a thermos to keep food hot and an insulted lunch bag to keep things cold.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Mama~Mare is offline Member
    In my opinion meatloaf and roasted veggies taste pretty damn good cold!

Or you could do an egg, meat and veggie quiche. I take whatever leftover meat I have and cover the bottom of a coconut oiled pie plate. Top it will any leftover veggies. Whip up 6 eggs, pour it on top and bake for 45 mins at 350. Cut into pie slices and you are good to go. Works well as a snack and as a meal. It actually tastes best cold. Stock him up with raw veggie sticks.......

Something simple like an avocado would be filling as well. Take the whole darn thing along with a knife to split it open and a spoon for eating.....wallah lunch

If I had that smoothie for breakfast all those carbs would send me into a serious hunger fit! Does it keep him full and satisfied?

Seems like an abundance of carbs for all of you all day. I would be constantly hungry and thinking about food all day!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I like hardboiled eggs and cold meat. Throw in some fruit. No cooking required, easy to eat on the go.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Does your hub like lox and bagels? Switch him to lox and goat cheese wrapped in nori. OMG, I was amazed that I liked it better than lox and bagels.

Canned fish is easy to carry and won't go bad (the stuff in my cabinet is good through 2015). Wild Planet Sardines in Olive Oil or Olive Oil and Lemon are easily one of my favorite snacks. Pour a can over white rice and voila! - instant goodness.

If you all eat cheese with no problems, make up casseroles using meat, cheese, eggs, veggies, (tomato sauce). Putting beaten eggs in these will give them some body (like putting eggs in a lasagna makes that firmer). When it's cold from the fridge, you can cut it into squares and it travels well (the casserole - no lasagna! lol)

Room temp frittata is delicious - scrambled eggs + anything you like. Bake up a big one and cut it into portions that travel well.

Mini meat loaves (made in muffin tins). HB eggs. Big thermos full of bone broth + meat of choice + some veggies + nori.

That's all I got.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thanks every one who actually gave me suggestions. As I read them it reminded me of things we used to do when we were doing this right.
    He would have no problem taking a thermos with soup, however he's a little gunshy now because one time (I think it had been in the thermos too long that day) as he opened his thermos, the pressure inside was so extreme the lid literally exploded off and if he hadn't blocked it so fast it probably would have put his eye out. And it smelled really bad, so I don't know if maybe it had spoiled during the day or what. It was a tomato based soup so I don't know if that's a no-no for thermoses.

Anyway I liked several of these ideas and I'm sure he will too. Even though the gluten free bread is made without grain (it's bean flour) he also realizes its not ideal.

As for the smoothies, I have to say we both feel they have improved our health tremendously. It's the only fruit we have all day normally, and it has protein in it as well. It does give us energy but no crash afterwards. For me, it keeps me full till lunch but he still requires a snack between that and lunch because his job is extremely physically demanding. And I did forget to mention earlier that Lara bars are part of his daily snack as well. They don't always stop for lunch so easy and fast is usually the order of the day.

Thanks everyone!

ETA: he actually DOES like lox, and was pretty happy when I mentioned this. See, this is why I posted, because I knew you all would nicely remind me of things I'd forgotten!
    Last edited by aprilleigh1974; 03-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast