Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Living + Travel page

paul119 is offline Senior Member

Primal Living + Travel

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Although Mark has done a fair number of blog posts on how to stay primal while on the road, I was curious if any of you had any MORE topics you were interested in learning about concerning either business traveling + primal, backpacking + primal, or long-term traveling + primal. The reason I ask is because I currently blog over at Travel and was hoping to add a high amount of value to the conversation.

Thus far, I've written about (not published yet, but will be soon): working holidays suitable to primal living (think lots of time outdoors, healthy food, the ability to connect with nature), measures to take to ensure quality sleep under stressful conditions, how to make ethical food choices in foreign countries and many more.

Do you guys have anything you're interested in? Please let me know!

Paul

P.S. I've been a follower of the primal lifestyle since Fall 2010, and my hope is to bring the ancestral health movement to the larger travel community via this blog.
    Last edited by paul119; 03-02-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I have to fly places where the gluten-free awareness is basically nonexistent or merely highly untrustworthy. I am usually located in a venue hotel, so if there is food shopping in the area, I can often make do (or better). If I am only gone for a weekend, I am unable to justifying packing a large suitcase so I have room to bring a rice cooker in case there is meat available locally.

I'm not sure if information can help me. When I was in the Bahamas for a week I found there was basically zero awareness locally of gluten-free cooking, and no food stores open within walking distance during the hours I was at my hotel. I ended up with leg cramps from eating mostly the nuts I had brought with me.

Thanks for the reply Katherine

This is a great topic to write about - traveling for people with food sensitivities

A couple suggestion's I'd make off the bat - do the hotels you stay in have any available kitchen to cook in? Would it be possible to make your own food? Maybe just a simple stir fry with some vegetables for dinner and eggs for breakfast.

If cooking isn't your thing, it may be possible to narrow your focus on veggies, fruits, nuts and tubers, and bring along a few packages of beef jerky for additional protein. Eggs are also a safe bet.

You could also pack along tins of sardines and salmon, as well as hard cheese and possibly some dark chocolate. These would all be viable alternatives to help you adjust to your surroundings.

Do you have celiac disease or are you just very sensitive to gluten?

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Traveling as a celiac is a huge pain. All it takes is one person's carelessness to ruin your entire vacation. I mostly travel by car so I can take my food with me. I also have to pack all sorts of medications in case someone makes me sick (benadryl, metamucil, zantac, rolaids, pepto, etc).

rgbytrtl is offline Junior Member
    I support notlupus in that "Traveling as a celiac is a huge pain. All it takes is one person's carelessness to ruin your entire vacation. I mostly travel by car so I can take my food with me".

If I travel, I spend a great deal of time preparing ahead for what I can make ahead of time that can easily be warmed up, as well as what snacks I can take for quick fixes. If I'm having to stay at a hotel, I seek one w/ a kitchenette if at all possible. Or I look around for other lodging options that offer kitchens/kichenettes. In my experience, having some sort of "kitchen" has helped to make my stay less of an ass-pain since it allows me the ability to cook even if it's limited to just stove-top or warm up pre-made meals/food I've brought with me via the microwave it's better than being hungry. And the fridges are typically your normal size fridge so it holds all that I bring with me.

I will also research online for any restaurants in the area that look to be trustworthy for both a Gluten Free menu and/or primal/paleo options and I always research what grocery stores are in the area including stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. I've also utilized Celiac support groups (if the area where I'm traveling has one) as a resource for locating gluten-free places in the area. And the Gluten Free Registry and Find me Gluten Free (an app I have on my phone) have also helped me in some situations.
    ~UGARGBYTRTL~

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Great thread!

I travel a lot for business and agree with rgbytrtl.

Also, I use to always book hotels but now aim for condos through airbnb/vrbo. It's a great option because of obvious perks (bigger, full kitchen, laundry, cheaper). It is about half price of hotels where i travel to so my employers like it too! Also, if i'm going to a new area I do my homework in terms of grocery stores near me and restaurant menus. That way I have a good idea of what I should bring with me and where to grab a bite.

I have to say i make some exceptions sometimes and am a bit looser with the 80/20.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Katherine

This is a great topic to write about - traveling for people with food sensitivities

A couple suggestion's I'd make off the bat - do the hotels you stay in have any available kitchen to cook in? Would it be possible to make your own food? Maybe just a simple stir fry with some vegetables for dinner and eggs for breakfast.

If cooking isn't your thing, it may be possible to narrow your focus on veggies, fruits, nuts and tubers, and bring along a few packages of beef jerky for additional protein. Eggs are also a safe bet.

You could also pack along tins of sardines and salmon, as well as hard cheese and possibly some dark chocolate. These would all be viable alternatives to help you adjust to your surroundings.

Do you have celiac disease or are you just very sensitive to gluten?
    Most of the hotels I stay in have no cooking facilities available. Or if there is that option, it's a $150 upgrade. Nowadays it seems there are fewer microwave ovens in rooms, and more crappy coffeemakers. Rarely are they close enough to drive to, though in that rare circumstance I can pack everything imaginable in my minivan and then only bring in only what I need.

Being in a hotel near an airport limits shopping options drastically. But flying to a foreign country means I have very few options of what food I can bring.

I'm self-employed, so I usually go with the cheapest option.

I have not been tested or diagnosed with celiac, but I have all the usual symptoms. I have not eaten gluten for almost a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Traveling as a celiac is a huge pain. All it takes is one person's carelessness to ruin your entire vacation. I mostly travel by car so I can take my food with me. I also have to pack all sorts of medications in case someone makes me sick (benadryl, metamucil, zantac, rolaids, pepto, etc).
    I had a 3 week trip to Miami spoiled early in the trip by what must have been fresh bread croutons at the bottom of a bowl of salad to soak up the dressing. That night I felt like a 90 year old in very bad condition. I wasn't feeling well again until it was almost time to leave.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Paul,
    You could do a whole post on just pemmican, the original paleo travel food.

The best manual I've found for making your own is by a guy named Lex Rooker (google and ye shall find). US Wellness meats makes a tasty and convenient but pricey alternative if you don't feel like all the effort and mess of making it yourself.

Thanks for the responses, all. I've prepared a list of foods you can bring on the road, kind of picnic style, that I'll be putting up soon. It may give some of you a few good ideas as to what to pack and everything.

Sounds like a post on handling celiac's disease is also in the mix - thanks a ton for all your helpful responses.

Also, AirBnB sounds like a dynamite option in comparison to hotel rooms. Great tip, meloroaster.

Paleobird - I tried making Pemmican once, a few years ago, and failed miserably. I'll give Lex Rooker's stuff another look and do my best with a retry. A post on Pemmican, however, is a fantastic idea. Thanks!!

How do you guys handle fitness/exercise while on the road for business? Do your hotels typically have gyms that you use (I know how shitty hotel gyms are, but can't hurt to ask)? Or do you mainly stick to bodyweight/low-impact training like walking/slow jogging/body squats, etc?

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested in airplane travel and getting suitable food while in the air. At the moment for work I travel mostly by car to within 4 hours of my home, or 50 min flights (no food required), but my family are soon to embarking on an 'adventure' to SE Asia for a few years so we'll be doing lots of air travel. I'm not talking about pre-ordering a GF meal on the plane, but can you actually get a primal suitable meal? Would the airline even know what you are talking about if you said grain free or paleo? Or are there some tricks, or food you can take along for the flight?

Execise wise - I find it really hard to fit in any exercise time wise often. I almost never use hotel gym facilities as they are often located offsite and I can't be bothered. Usually I make do with a walk or run if I get time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast