Thread: College girl getting fit - at last!! page

Primbel is offline Junior Member

College girl getting fit - at last!!

Shop Now

Hello!

A bit about myself:

I'm a 21 year old female student from Switzerland and I've decided to finally give this lifestyle a serious try!
    I've been lurking around here for what seems like an eternity – one to two years probably.
    Although I have been slowly incorporating primal foods and eliminating grains and such, I wasn’t consistent enough with it for it to make a real difference. Additionally, my sleep schedule is sometimes way out of whack and I’m not as active as I should be.

I’m very interested in health and nutrition and I enjoy researching it, but sometimes the quantity of information out there can be overwhelming or confusing, which may have also been a reason why I’ve never actually started following any of it for a longer period of time.

My goal and why:

My goal is essentially to get healthy and fit (nothing too original ).
    I don’t have major health or weight issues, but still feel like they have a bigger impact on my quality of life then I’d like them to have.

To name them all:

Light acne, stretch marks (from weight gain during my teens, I used to be skinny), brittle nails, dry skin, abdominal weight gain, some strength and coordination imbalance (I’m seeing I physiotherapist for this, I used to have lower back pain as a result of it. I’m very flexible and tall which may or may not have had an impact on my muscle-development growing up.), irregular BM, bloating after eating, low blood sugar (goes away when sticking to low carb), concentration problems and tiredness lately (doesn’t help when one should be studying…).

I’m 5’10.5’’ (or 179cm), and I don’t know how much I currently weigh (I have to change the batteries of my scale). My guess is 165lbs / 75 kilos (maybe more?). I’d love to be somewhere around 143-154lbs or 65-70 kilos but with more muscle mass. My main problem is that I feel most of my excess weight is around my waist/ on my belly, I think my arms and legs look fine. In two months I’m going to California for a vacation and it would be great to come a bit closer to my goal until then…

-------------------------------------------------------

I’ve decided to create a journal to help me focus on my goals and to finally become a more active member. I’m fed up with my unproductiveness lately. Life is too short to not enjoy it and cherish it and a healthy body and mind are the basis for it.

I want to post here regularly. How my progress goes, maybe my daily diet or exercise as well. Please comment for tips, critiques, encouragement, random chat…whatever!

Liliana is offline Junior Member
    Hi Primbel! Exciting that you are starting this adventure! It's excellent that at only 21 you are aware of your health and deciding to be actively involved in improving it.

I have also recently gone primal after lurking and adapting some changes here and there. I am also a healthy weight but am interested to see if there will be changes in my energy level, skin, BMs, muscle mass, etc. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Hi Liliana!
    Thank you for your sweet comment! I know, 21 is probably younger then the average here...
    Great that you're also starting with it now, I hope it will work out well for both of us!

Day 01:

So this is what I ate yesterday (saturday):

B: Bulletproof coffee, 2 hard boiled eggs
    S/L: whipped cream + cocoa drink made out of 100% cocoa powder, water and cream (chocolate craving)
    D: spinach-salad with 1 carrot, 2 cans of tuna, vinegar-mustard dressing
    Later going out: 1 glass of pinot grigio, 2 tequila shots

total:
    1668 kcal + 200kcal (from the alcohol) = 1868
    105g/122g/45g + 28g of P/F/C

Kind of a weird food day, I know. I really craved the BPC in the morning but after typing in everything on Paleotrack I figured I needed a lot more protein to come to my required daily amount.

I'm trying to go lower cal aswell, idealy around 1500. I did some research yesterday to find a good eating plan for me. Also I want to really log in everything in the beginning to make sure I get my macros about right. I used to be a vegetarian for a while when I was younger, and I think this still affects my protein intake (i.e. I tend to not eat a lot of it). I want to see how my body reacts to having “enough” protein.

I roughly estimated my lean body mass, and according to mark one should consume around LBM*(0.7 to 1)g of prot/day, which would put me at 73g-122g. Since I want to build some muscles as well around 100-120 would probably be good.

Carbs should be around 50-150, more like 50-100 in the beginning, since I do want to lose some fat. I know some people don’t do too well after a while of very low carb, so I will try to pay attention to how I feel and maybe add back some safe starches after a while (or do carb-cycling...) if that doesn’t work for me.

Thus, a 1500 kcal day should be around 122g/90g/50g of P/F/C, which is 33%/54%/13% does that seem reasonable?
    Obviously I will try to eat when I’m hungry and when I see it’s not enough or too much I can still adjust…

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    dont get to low on calories. you needto eat enough to build the muscles you want and heal. And going to low stalls weight loss. just ease into primal by eating the right stuff first and listening to the hunger signs of your body, not counting the calories unless youstart adding weight and inches

Hello paleodutch!

Are you from the Netherlands? Probably you are right with the calories, also regarding getting enough nutrients and all that. The thing is, I gained quite some weight recently and I want to get used to eating smaller portions again. My plan was to more or less stick to this for a week or two. If I feel hungry all the time or keep thinking about food etc., I will up the calories. Thanks a lot for the input though!

Day 02&03:

Today and yesterday went really well! I feel pretty good although I haven't slept too much last night

Today's (monday) food:

B: can of drained sardines, coffee + 1 tbsp cream + 2 tsp EVCO
    L: Salad (Spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumbre, 1 slice of ham, 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs, lime juice and salt)
    S: coffee with little whole milk
    D: Beef-broccoli-zucchini-stew
    (As I was still hungry ans low on kcals
    Desert: "hot chocolate" (water with cream, 2 eggs, unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon, little bit of honey... stirred over heat until it's a creamy consistency )

Total:
    1428 kcal
    102-95-46 (P-F-C)

I went to a pilates class today, which was fun. My college offers a wide range of free sports classes so there is really no excuse! My plan is two go to 3 pilates or yoga classes a week (they’re not too strenuous) and additionally do some short (like 5-10 min) work-outs 6 days a week, alternating arms-legs-abs/back. Something that really tires out the muscles but doesn’t require much time… And then of course make the effort to rather use the stairs etc. Since I’m in college I do some “slow-walking” everyday, which is good.

Tracking my food, I noticed that I'm consistently not getting enough Thiamin (vitamin B1). Should I be concerned? Does anyone have the same problem? Same goes with vitamin E and magnesium, which I supplement from time to time. I also take a tsp of cod liver oil daily...

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primbel View Post
    Hello paleodutch!

Are you from the Netherlands? Probably you are right with the calories, also regarding getting enough nutrients and all that. The thing is, I gained quite some weight recently and I want to get used to eating smaller portions again. My plan was to more or less stick to this for a week or two. If I feel hungry all the time or keep thinking about food etc., I will up the calories. Thanks a lot for the input though!
    Yes, I am from the Netherlands.

Your food sounds good but I would cut the workouts a bit, it takes some 38 hrs for your muscles to recover from strenous exercise, so maybe do it every other day. look at marks free ebookon some good bodyweight exercises that train the whole body. Dont work to failure but make it tough so you can only do a few reps. There are numbers in marks book