Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have high cholesterol? page

mike is offline Senior Member

Do you have high cholesterol?

Hi all - The message that I got from the Primal Blueprint is to not worry about what your blood cholesterol levels are, as long as you're eating healthily. The last time I got my blood cholesterol checked was about 8 years ago, and my levels we all fine. At the time I was eating plenty of real food: meat, veggies, fruits, but also wheat and other processed foods.

Two months ago I started eating 'primally' and trying to follow Mark's other advice. I try to explain my diet to friends - I like to call it a change in eating habits - and they think I'm some kind of wacko. The discussion usually arrives to the subject of cholesterol and my friends tell my that I will die of heart disease on this diet. I know about Mark's opinion on the subject and I'm not too concerned about my own blood cholesterol, but I have seen several testimonials on this website in which people who are eating a primal diet high in meat and animal fats actually have cholesterol, LDL and HDLs that a right were CW says they should be. That, in my opinion is great ammunition to use in a discussion with these poor unenlightened people who are killing themselves with sugar and pasta

I will go to get my own cholesterol checked in a few months after I am down to a healthy weight. I'm still a few pounds overweight but since I've been on this diet I've lost 11 pounds (in 2 months) and I have never felt better.

So, my question for you folks who have been eating primally, is your cholesterol level where CW says it should be?

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Yup. My cholesterol was all kinds of messed up in CWs eyes when I was eating what CW told me to...

The bad stuff was high, the good stuff was low, and the total was too high.

So I stopped listening to CW and now, CW says my cholesterol is perfect ha. The irony.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mike and welcome to MDA.

Before going primal I had quite a low cholesterol level, and since (8 or so months) - all my numbers have improved !!!!!!

so yay to lots of butter, eggs, meat, etc.... Its working for Gwamma !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Not anymore, sadly. It crashed when I tried a fruit experiment. It was 260, with HDL at 90. Now it's only 208 with HDL at 70. Trigs always low, blood sugar always low, too.

You can expect abnormally high numbers after weight loss and/or dietary changes, though.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Timmer is offline Junior Member
    First post here (I'll do an intro when I've something useful to say), but can I ask what the equivalent numbers these would be in the UK?

My cholesterol was last checked and it was around 2.8 mmol, I think. I don't have the figures for HDL and LDL. I take a statin as I am a heart bypass patient from over ten years ago, and I also suffer from a few heart valve problems which don't help. So I don't see me coming off statins any time soon.

Your thoughts on the differing number systems, please.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have an appropriate amount of cholesterol for my lifestyle and repair needs.... I don't actually know what it is since I don't measure, but I'm certain that its appropriate

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had my cholesterol measured for many years. Low cholesterol runs in my family. I seem to recall it has ranged between 112 and 165.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    My cholesterol is 5.4mmol/l. Just high enough to be considered "not 100%", but not so high that anyone at the Dr's asked for a more detailed analysis.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Read Griff's "Chikesterol Primer" in the Research section.

I have had a Total C of over 550 for about 20 years while on the CW diet. Doctor's pushed statins like mad, but I'm allergic to all of them. After 3 months on primal my TC was 330's and I have complete faith that it will continue to improve. However my ratios are no all good!

Weight loss drives up the TC, so don't have the test taken for about 2 months after stopping weight loss.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    First post here (I'll do an intro when I've something useful to say), but can I ask what the equivalent numbers these would be in the UK?

My cholesterol was last checked and it was around 2.8 mmol, I think. I don't have the figures for HDL and LDL. I take a statin as I am a heart bypass patient from over ten years ago, and I also suffer from a few heart valve problems which don't help. So I don't see me coming off statins any time soon.

Your thoughts on the differing number systems, please.
    multiply by 40 to get American equivalent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast