Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really use this much fat? page

Incindiary is offline Member

Do I really use this much fat?

Forgive me if this is a newbie question. I'm still learning.

Tonight I cooked my first spaghetti squash using this recipe:

Garlic and Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash

LOVED IT!

But I used only half the olive oil and half the goat cheese called for. Even then it was so rich I could only eat a small portion. Now, it may be that I used a medium-sized squash instead of a large, but even then, that seems like a LOT of fat. I've made a few recipes from MDA in the past two weeks, and they seemed much lighter, but still delicious.

So, is this really okay? I know that sounds naive, but I'm only two weeks or so into this. It's totally okay if it is okay, by the way.

I just want to make sure I'm not overdoing it. Eating this much fat withot feeling guilty is going to take some geting used to.

Zach is offline Banned
    Heck yea thats a lot of fat! That recipe calls for like 275g of fat or 2500 calories. Almost seems like a typo for making one spaghetti squash.

Oh but of course its from a primal blog, so the more fat the merrier, right?!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Wow... as written that seems excessive even to me.

And I'm an unabashed HFLC queen.
    LOL.

Half if probably good for a LARGE spaghetti squash.
    Keep it for a small side portion and enjoy that way, or reduce the olive oil further... and just go with the butter and half the goat cheese only and see how that works for you.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I view food like that - paleo/primal versions of SAD foods - occasional foods. Fine if you're fat adapted and they aren't interfering with your goals but nutritionally not a lot different from the food they're mimicking. For the main, focus on getting whole foods. If you eat all of the animal/fish you'll get enough fat without
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Well, my husband liked the texture of the squash but HATED the goat cheese, so I won't be making that exact recipe anytime soon.

I was thinking of tossing the squash strands with just butter, salt and maybe a splash or two of half & half. I can always crumble an ounce or so of goat cheese on my portion, as I really do like the goat cheese. Feta would probably work as well.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    This sounds up my alley. I love me some goat cheese. And since I'm not trying to lose any weight bring it on!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    How can anyone hate goat cheese? Goat cheese is so tangy and delicious. It's just so expensive...
    nihil

I know! He hates all the good cheeses - goat, blue, feta - anything smelly, really.

Maybe that' a good thing. I can barely afford my own stinky cheese addiction.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Well, maybe if goat cheese didn't smell exactly like the rotten smell of old gym socks, and taste as one would imagine the socks might taste, it would be more tolerable. I mean, I ate the stuff for awhile when experimenting with alternatives to dairy, but only because of the good health reviews.

That's not an insane amount of fat, but at such a volume it would displace other foods. But the recipe has almost no protein. So I'd at least pair it with a small bit of something meaty.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's an insane amount of fat. My view o fat is that it's great, but to add it to stuff for only the sake of getting more fat into a Neal is mindless and stupid. Eating a huge fatty steak is fine, adding a gallon of olive oil to a recipe for shits and giggles is not.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast