Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Desertcreature page

Talking Primal Journal: Desertcreature

I'm starting this journal today because:
    1) I have only been following the eating part of the 10 laws in the Primal Blueprint. I need to start following the rest of the laws, especially the more difficult ones related to fitness and sleep;
    2) if I put it on the internet, I have witnesses, and I will likely do a better job at following through;
    3) it's the first of the month, I started the PB 30-day challenge today and I like starting things on a first.

Some facts:
    53 yo female, single, no kids, caring for elderly mother with dementia, work from home at a computer, 6 wonderful cats, 1 overly devoted dog, rural 1 acre residence, surrounded by the most beautiful desert in the world.
    But my size and my sedentary at-home job have led me to be isolated and lonely. Hiking last year helped me get out, but I couldn't loose weight due to my addiction to sugar and starch.

Weight when I started Weight Watchers (11/29/12): 242
    Weight when I started Primal (1/19/13): 238
    Weight this morning (3/1/13): 228

My goal: To loose fat, gain strength and to reach a weight that is reasonable for my frame, using the principles of the Primal Blueprint.
    My motivation: I would like to enjoy life like all the success stories I read about on MDA!
    My method: The PB way of eating; gentle 3-5 miles hikes in the many desert trails nearby; occasional sprints in the driveway; sleeping more and watching less TV; and perhaps cycling again (once the gut is gone).

Some background (and yes, I talk too much, but I don't have anyone else to talk to, so forgive me):
    I converted to a Primal way of life mid January this year. Last year I didn't know anything about Primal or Paleo - I honestly thought they were fads that "foodies" had come up with in order to be "different" from everybody else (clearly this was an uninformed, uneducated theory).
    I had already begun eliminating sugar last fall (with help of a hypnotherapist, seriously!), but after an uncontrolled consumption (~800 calories) of some very good chocolate around New Year's Day, I realized sugar was Evil, it was NOT my friend and I needed to eliminate it entirely! I had started Weight Watchers at Thanksgiving (I needed structure), but noticed I didn't loose much when I ate starches, even though I weighed and measured everything to the gram! And even though I got back on track right after that January 1st sugar binge, it had the effect of increasing my weight by 4 pounds over the next two weeks!
    A series of events led me to a reference to MarksDailyApple, so I checked it out. Since then I have spent way too many hours (I have no social life) reading Mark's blog, reader comments and PB Forum entries, just to get grounded.
    I have posted on the "Eat More Fat" (LCHF/Ketogenic) thread in the PB Nutrition Forum, but feel it's time to start my own journal here. I don't use Facebook.
    I do have a copy of the Primal Blueprint, but am only at the beginning. I'm aware this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. And I have never felt better or more confident about making this kind of change.

Well, I've written more than I intended; if you've read this far, thank you!
    See you in Health!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! No, you didn't write too much. We want to know about you.

I'm glad hypnotherapy helped you. I used to be a hypnotherapist, long ago.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Talking Staying on track and finally moving!

Fri: 3/1/13 meals
    B: Whey protein shake (Pure Protein brand), half an avocado, coffee with H&H.
    L: 4pc bacon, 2 fried eggs, peach salsa from Flagstaff Farmers market, 54g Jarlsberg cheese.
    D: Roast turkey, green beans, coconut milk (taste tasting)
    Snacks: raw almonds, full fat cream cheese, V-8
    1587 calories; 115g fat; 96g prot; 50g carb; 18g fiber (net carbs 32).
    Activity: none

Sat 3/2/13
    B: Whey shake made with avocado oil and coconut milk; coffee w/H&H
    L: not very hungry, just a handful of raw almonds
    D: spinach and grape tomato salad with full fat Italian dressing, a little over 1/4 of a roast chicken with skin (I stuffed bacon under skin overlying breast and put more slices over skin for basting - wonderful!)
    1256 calories; 79g fat; 113g prot; 20g carbs; 5g fiber (net carbs 15)
    Activity: 20 minute walk with my dog

Sun 3/3/13
    B: coffee w H&H
    L: whey shake made with 8 oz unsweetened almond milk,
    D: We had special company for dinner, so food was extra nice. I made all primal/paleo food from Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo Family cookbook: Curry Coconut slowcooker Chicken, Riced Cauliflower, roast butternut squash with poblano pepper, spinach salad w/avocado & roasted grape tomatoes, and we shared 2 bottles of Pinot Noir. My guests were not aware the whole meal was Primal/paleo, they just gave me loads of compliments and I was so proud of my success!
    Activity - finally spent some more time outdoors!
    Sunday morning I took my dog Ellie and we went for hike out in the desert (Spur Cross preserve) north of home. Forgot my pedometer, but was moving for exactly 1.25 hours over uneven terrain, with 5-10 minutes worth of breaks. Weather could not have been any nicer! I was just so happy to be out and moving under my own power again.
    No breakfast, just coffee with H&H in the car on the way there. But I never felt weak or dizzy, unlike the "olden days" (high carb) when if I hiked without breakfast, I'd get lightheaded about an hour and a half into the hike.
    Last edited by desertcreature; 03-04-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: just some corrections...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Welcome! No, you didn't write too much. We want to know about you.
    I'm glad hypnotherapy helped you. I used to be a hypnotherapist, long ago.
    Thank you - I think I will write in my journal about hypnotherapy some day. My first session with her cured me of a life-long nail biting problem. And we didn't even focus on that issue that day! It just happened. I am so grateful for her help with my sugar and starch addiction, because it has made going Primal just SO much easier.

struggling a little...

Well, this has not been a very good week. I think that when I say I'll start an online journal because it will be public and I'll be more accountable, it sets up something in my brain for sabotage. Either that or I just went too low carb.
    Sunday 3/3 was such a good day, hiking and preparing good clean food, and even going to bed early; but I slept horribly that night, waking several times and struggling to get back to sleep. I do not normally have sleep issues.
    Monday 3/5 was a great day (B: protein shake with avocado oil and almond milk; L: leftover chicken curry; D: pork chops; Snacks: avocado, Jarlsberg cheese, almonds. But then late that evening, instead of going to bed early and trying to make up for the previous night's poor sleep, I stayed up and watched TV and suddenly I found myself in front of a cookie jar I keep loaded for just my mom. I haven't touched the contents in months other than to fill it. Now I am taking out 5 Nilla wafers, then going back for 5 more, now to the fridge for the last of the yogurt (full fat!) but topping it with local honey (2-3 tablespoons). Except for the cookies, it doesn't sound too terribly bad, but this was not part of the plan. I was not going to eat sweets till I was much closer to my goal weight.
    The next night the same thing happened. Good breakfast (protein shake, avocado oil), lunch (natural bacon and eggs fried in same fat), dinner - two locally made bratwurst. But another late night raid of the cookie jar, this time I didn't keep count, but it was several fists full, plus several handfulls of almonds.
    I have not touched the cookies since, and my eating hasn't been all that crazy, but I ended the week 3 pounds heavier than I started. So that business of 3500 calories makes a pound - bullshit. Did I eat 10,500 calories in excess? Not anywhere likely! I just had carbs in the form of SUGAR (that evil thing that is not my friend).
    I have been really depressed about this. Plus life at home hasn't been real happy. But I'll get past it.
    I've been on track all day today. Plus I just got some MCT oil and have been making Bulletproof coffee last 3 days.
    I am wondering about dairy. I use half and half in my coffee, but try to limit it to no more than 4-5 Tbsp a day. I use butter in my coffee. I also sometimes snack on full fat cream cheese and Jarlsberg or sharp Cheddar. Is this too much dairy? The yogurt I finished off was a container I hadn't touched in a couple weeks, but I used to eat the low fat stuff daily before going primal. I no longer drink milk at home (I did have a few glasses of whole milk on the cruise - heaven!)
    I've been hungry a lot and I find myself wanting to eat something, but not wanting to cook, so I resort to almonds and the occasional packet of beef jerky. I still haven't made a meal plan like I wanted to. I'll do that Sunday...

Sunday (3/10) was a good turning point. While I'm sure I didn't get enough calories (I wasn't hungry, plus I haven't reversed the mindset that going without food will lead to weight loss - that one has really been a struggle), I did eat Primal.
    Best of all, I went for a nice walk/hike (level, but rough terrain). Covered between 1.6 and 2 miles, depending on measuring source. First half in 20 minutes, then I challenged myself to return in less time so did a little bit of jogging; second half = 15 minutes.
    Sunday 3/10
    B: bullet proof coffee
    L: leftover porkchop
    D: Slow cooker chicken curry (yum!)

Didn't make the mealplan like I said I would.
    But I am going to try some changes for the four weeks:
    >Limit coffee to 2 cups daily (I currently drink a 50% caffeinated homeblend)
    >NO dairy (except 3 T 1/2 & 1/2 per cup of coffee and 1T butter in the 1st cup)
    >NO artificial sweeteners. And that means no Crystal Lite. I haven't included this in my MDA journal (I've been hiding it from you as I know it is furthest thing from being Primal, but I figured I "need" it to help drink the 3 liters of water I regularly enjoy consuming). I've now gone at least 72 hours drinking just plain water, and I haven't passed out yet.

Monday 3/11
    B: BP coffee, whey protein shake, avocado oil (in the shake)
    L: leftover chicken curry, sugar free Jello (oops, sorry, that was made with artificial sweetener)
    Snack: half an avocado with balsamic vinegar, 2 ounces deli turkey meat
    Dinner: planning on 7 ounce steak with salad greens. Possibly glass of red wine.

Tuesday 3/12
    Read Mark's post about foods that are Primal... Pork rinds - Yes, but the ones in the cellophane bags at the supermarket are nothing like home cooked pork skin. The hams my mom baked at Christmas when I was little still had the skin on (sometime a little stubble too). She woud give me a piece the size of a playing card that was about as stiff as saddle leather, but not so brittle that it snapped. I would start chewing on a corner (after scraping the delicious thin layer of inner fat off with my teeth) and that piece seemed to last for hours. Oh what a lovely memory. I'll have to get a ham that still has the skin and see if I can reproduce this memory! Obviously will have to be a "cage free" pig...

Today's stats:
    B: BP coffee (no butter this time, just MCT oil and H&H), whey protein shake w/ avocado oil
    L: leftover chicken curry, last of my sugar free jello (forgot to add that it has about a quarter cup of unsweetened pineapple) Won't make more sugar free Jello, it's just too "non-primal"!
    Snack: was craving "something", found a bag of delicious prunes, ate about 10 over a 1 hour period (I am now probably way over my carbs for the day, at least they weren't from pasta or candy...)
    D: locally made Bratwurst with mustard, salad greens, Italian dressing

Macros:
    1276 calories
    78g carbs (23%)
    83g fat (56%)
    68g protein (21%)
    Actually, these numbers aren't too bad all things considered...
    However, my only exercise was a 15 minute walk this morning. But, you know, that's more than I have done some days... sigh...the perils of being a lazy person working from home...
    Last edited by desertcreature; 03-13-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Dairy is a very individual thing. I do quite a bit myself but that doesn't work for everyone.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

notes for Tuesday 3/26/13

Well, I had a run-in with Dryers Rocky Road ice-cream last week. I thought I could bring some into the house for my mom, but I ended up binging on it. I then had to go out and get some more to replace that for her, and same thing happened. I am not going to kid myself and do this again. She will just have to go up to the Dairy Queen and have a cone or something if she wants ice cream.
    As I wrote above, I was going without dairy and artificial sweetners before this incident. I actually only use the sweeteners (Crystal Lite, sugar-free Arizona tea, Arnold Palmer Tea etc) in my water. I dilute it by half otherwise it tastes too strong. (I know, I'm trying to justify myself here...)
    But I wonder if going without the occasional sweet taste led to the overwhelming urge to consume mass quantities of sugar... Funny that I keep bread in the house for my mom and I haven't had so much as a slice of that...
    Well, because I have been unable to organize my mealplanning and grocery shopping, I signed up for Marks Mealplan service. For the past 10 days I've been cooking recipes from Mark's book (PB Cookbook). It's a bit overwhelming (I haven't always cooked from a recipe for every meal), but I'm adjusting. And the food has been really good!
    I found a source (through Craigslist) for homegrown chicken eggs. I found affordable organic HWC at Costco. And I'll be ordering a box of grass fed beef and pastured pork as soon as there is room in the freezer, probably by early April. I am going to do my best to stay Primal. But I'll say Thank you Mark for the 80/20 thing. It helps with the guilt that I cannot be as disciplined as some others are.

I did a 2 mile easy hike on Saturday and a little over 1 mile walk on Sunday. I don't think I did anything Monday. Today I walked the half mile roundtrip to the mailbox. Hope to do that again this evening...
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Notes for Wed. 3/27/13

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Meals since the ice-cream episode (it's all gone now)
    Mon 3/25:
    B: coffee w/ HWC (2 cups/4 Tbsp)
    L: leftover Chicken w/ fennel stew (PB cookbook recipe)
    S: about 20 almonds, and 4 small biscotti from Costco (bad girl! NO!)
    D: 2 strips thick bacon, 2 (local homegrown ) eggs cooked in the bacon fat.
    Exercise: nothing (you lazy bum!)

Tues 3/26
    B: coffee w/HWC (same as above)
    L: leftover chicken with fennel stew (I sure made a big batch of that!)
    S: 2 biscotti (again with the sugar?? that's enough of that!)
    D: Primal Pizza (PB Cookbook recipe) made with pepperoni, cheese and yellow bell pepper. I ground the almonds to make meal myself, but the crust was too dense. I tried to grind it very fine, but still wasn't pleased with the results. Will have to experiment more with this...
    Exercise: just the 1/2 mile walk... sigh...

Wed 3/27
    B: coffee w/HWC and 2 Tbsp MCT oil
    L: planning on bacon and eggs
    D: planning on either Salmon chowder or Smoked sausage and cabbage (PB cookbook recipes)
    S: anything but sugar! Maybe nothing at all!

Plans: start making my own fermented sauerkraut and kimchi! I've got lot's of whey leftover from making yogurt a few months ago...

Just started reading Diane's (sbhikes) fitness journal. Will need some time to catch up but she and some of her followers are very inspiring. Heck, most everybody on this site is inspiring! I especially like to see women around my age (53) who have been overweight a long time and were successful at loosing weight and getting in shape. I'm in menopause, and I feel like I missed my chance to loose weight back when my metabolism was somewhat more "normal" (being obese for 30+ years it was obviously never normal).
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast