Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Desertcreature page 2

drjoyous is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi DesertCreature (great name, that!):
    You've got some things that make it tough, as we all do. Yours are just "yours." I'm older than you (58), post menopause, went primal last september after watching my son do fabulously losing a ton of weight, and wanting to feel good. I was not overweight at the time, so others can give you better suggestions about that. But i am a sugar addict as well. Someone here (paleobird? sbhikes? i forget whose kernel of wisdom helped me...) suggested that when the sugar desire hits, eat meat. Period. Just DO IT. Eat meat/protein until you are so full that you don't want the sugar. (a) you will fill up and (b) you will eat healthier. And it works. Second suggestion--this one is "mine": get rid of all sweeteners, even ones with low/no calorie. There are a lot of sciency reasons for that (check around the blogs if you want to know them), but my reason was to retrain my MIND as well as my body not to need or want sweet. Drastic, yeah--even to the point where i only eat 100% chocolate once in a while. I figure some day sugar and i will be able to play nicely, but for the moment I can't. I just don't play fair with it. Period. So I don't play with fake-friends.

Also, when you feel like eating something you shouldn't, try just reading the blog or forum. On the blog, search whatever term you want (i usually search for things i genuinely adore to find out what they do/don't do for one, like seitan, or tempeh, or sour cream, or whatever you want. So far, every.single.thing i've searched has been there...). And/or go to the forums and just READ whatever people post--the point is i'm reading ABOUT eating and reading about eating HEALTHY, so it helps divert the "i wanna eat food" trainwreck. You'll soon get to know who's struggling with what issue, and you find your support there. I read your post right now exactly for that reason--i'm stuck at work, hungry, can't eat right now, so i decided to "feed" my knowledge and understanding by reading YOUR post. I saw the user name, was intrigued, saw i LOVED how you set up your introduction (so clear, so easy, so charming!) and read what others said to you. I read you were reaching out for others who have the same obstacles you do. I have some of them; others will help you with other parts. So I needed to read your blog this morning and you helped me out too. Thanks!

IronGirl is offline Member
    Hey girlie, I just saw you over on my journal and decided to check out yours!

It looks like you've been having a lot of trouble with binging. I have a history of binge-eating disorder, so I totally understand. I think the main thing you have to see is this:

Food solves hunger by providing nutrition--but that is the ONLY problem it solves. If you are eating and you're not hungry, you are trying to solve some other problem with food, and it won't work. But, this is a pretty cool first-alarm system, because it is letting you know there is some sort of problem to be addressed. So when you find yourself eating (or about to eat) and you are not hungry, go grab a pen and write down all the things that could possibly be wrong that aren't able to be solved with food. Maybe you're bored? Tired? Stressed? There are things to address those issues that you could be doing--and you could be feeling BETTER instead of worse (because when you eat instead of address the actual problems, you still have the underlying problem AND you feel bad that you ate something you shouldn't have).

I did this by keeping a record, for one straight week, every time I ate. I would write the time, my hunger level on a scale of 1 (starving and ready to knaw off my own arm for some nutrition) to 10 (Thanksgiving-day stuffed), what I planned to eat, and my emotions/how I felt. Then I'd come back after I was done eating and write the exact same items, except I'd write what I did eat instead of what I had planned to eat. I saw MAJOR patterns. Like I was eating at 3PM every day even though I was at a level 8 (not hungry at all) and my emotions were always "BORED." But that information empowered me--I was able to decide that I could address boredom alot more efficiently by (1) reading a romance novel; (2) walking down the hall to chat with a buddy; (3) cruising Amazon.com for purses, books, workout clothes, etc.; (4) planning my weekend, etc. etc. etc. Any and all of these things were superior in addressing the actual problem to eating. So that's an idea for you to maybe try and see what you learn about yourself!

Finally, I already mentioned the Paleo Coach in my journal, but it's on my mind, and one thing the author said was that every time we eat we are making a particular decision: do I want my long-term goals more than this food item? So in reading your intro piece, applied to you every time you are about to eat something non-Primal or even eating something Primal when you are not hungry, you should think about the idea that you are in fact chosing to eat that instead of reaching "My goal: To loose fat, gain strength and to reach a weight that is reasonable for my frame, using the principles of the Primal Blueprint. My motivation: I would like to enjoy life like all the success stories I read about on MDA!"

I bet when you think of it that way, you would choose your goal and motivation over ice cream any day!

Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk this type of thing out, I'm telling you it's all I've been working on for five years (and I've not binged in I don't know how long, so it works!).
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    Hi DesertCreature (great name, that!):
    You've got some things that make it tough, as we all do. Yours are just "yours." I'm older than you (58), post menopause, went primal last september after watching my son do fabulously losing a ton of weight, and wanting to feel good. I was not overweight at the time, so others can give you better suggestions about that. But i am a sugar addict as well. Someone here (paleobird? sbhikes? i forget whose kernel of wisdom helped me...) suggested that when the sugar desire hits, eat meat. Period. Just DO IT. Eat meat/protein until you are so full that you don't want the sugar. (a) you will fill up and (b) you will eat healthier. And it works. Second suggestion--this one is "mine": get rid of all sweeteners, even ones with low/no calorie. There are a lot of sciency reasons for that (check around the blogs if you want to know them), but my reason was to retrain my MIND as well as my body not to need or want sweet. Drastic, yeah--even to the point where i only eat 100% chocolate once in a while. I figure some day sugar and i will be able to play nicely, but for the moment I can't. I just don't play fair with it. Period. So I don't play with fake-friends.

Also, when you feel like eating something you shouldn't, try just reading the blog or forum. On the blog, search whatever term you want (i usually search for things i genuinely adore to find out what they do/don't do for one, like seitan, or tempeh, or sour cream, or whatever you want. So far, every.single.thing i've searched has been there...). And/or go to the forums and just READ whatever people post--the point is i'm reading ABOUT eating and reading about eating HEALTHY, so it helps divert the "i wanna eat food" trainwreck. You'll soon get to know who's struggling with what issue, and you find your support there. I read your post right now exactly for that reason--i'm stuck at work, hungry, can't eat right now, so i decided to "feed" my knowledge and understanding by reading YOUR post. I saw the user name, was intrigued, saw i LOVED how you set up your introduction (so clear, so easy, so charming!) and read what others said to you. I read you were reaching out for others who have the same obstacles you do. I have some of them; others will help you with other parts. So I needed to read your blog this morning and you helped me out too. Thanks!
    Thank you for such kind words and advice. Sorry I haven't responded till now! I actually read your post shortly after you wrote it (yikes!), but because I am so anal about making my reply "just so", I kept putting it off...
    Anyhow, I have actually had to cut back on the time I spend on this site and some other favorite websites because it's just cutting into my day. I am appalled at the time I am wasting in front of a computer.
    Anyhow, I've had some setbacks with sugar again, but I keep on keeping on - after all, "tomorrow is another day"...
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Hi Irongirl!
    I confess that I always thought "binging" was going on a massive quantity consumption, but I see that I may have that wrong. If binging is not being able to stop once you start consuming, then I have this problem.
    Since my last post back in March, I have eaten so much ice cream it would shock most normal people. It never makes me sick, I can eat a pint in one sitting, then finish another one an hour later. And this is the full fat version - I don't bother with the "reduced" kind, I want the smooth mouthfeel of real fat ice cream.
    Surprisingly, I haven't gained weight, but of course haven't lost any either. I hide the empty cartons under my bathroom sink so my mom won't see them in the trash, and I haven't taken them out yet. I think I will leave them there as a cautionary reminder (they are clean and dry and don't smell).
    Mind you, I have not fallen off the primal wagon; I document everything I eat, and except for the sugar in that ice cream, it's the only non-primal thing I've been eating.
    I have put all my sugar substitute stuff out of sight (I'm sorry Drjoyous (*cringes a little here*), I can't seem to bring myself to get it completely out of the house yet, even though I agree with you about the chemicals... I just need more time...!)
    I want to thank you for reminding me of my own goal and my motivation - I really should write that down so I see it and be reminded of it every day. It's easy to write something on a webpage, then forget it as time goes on...
    I'm following your progress, and I frankly I envy the joy you've found in getting fit. I haven't got that yet, but will soon post some progress I've made...
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Well, I wanted to update my journal, but needed to make some replies first - it is the proper thing to do!
    I've noted above some problems I've had with food, but I have some good to document when it comes to exercise. Since I work at a desk in my house and am hideously lazy, many days I take fewer than (gasp) 3000 steps. It is just appalling, I don't know why I'm even telling you.
    On March 30, I "competed" in a local race - the Cave Creek Trail run 5k/10k which is raising money to purchase open desert for preservation. I had signed up in January with the hopes that I would start a 9 week training program I printed out. Well, I didn't do any training, but that morning, I still got up and did the 5k. I started at the back of the pack, I jogged a bit but mostly speed walked, and I had a nice time. And I went home feeling I could do more of this if I juuuuust put my mind to it.
    So a few days later I looked up upcoming 5ks, 10ks and half marathons that would be within reasonable driving distance, and jotted them down in my calendar. I found a half marathon in Phoenix held at the beginning of November that I'd like to enter. I am not the slightest bit interested in a full marathon, but 13.1 miles sounds do-able. I started jogging a little every morning before work, but it just feels tedious and uninspiring doing it alone.
    Last week I found a Meetup group that does a 3 mile run/jog/walk in north Scottsdale. Someone had just started it, it's open to beginners, and it's only a 15 minute drive from home. So I signed up for the next few Saturdays, with this morning being the first one for me.
    I actually ran/jogged quite a bit of the course, and when I couldn't run, I walked very briskly. At one point the leader - who said I was doing very well - suggested that just for today I take a little shortcut in our loop, which I readily agreed to do. I'm sure it wasn't a whole lot less than the 3 miles the rest did. I could feel that I had pushed myself (in a good way) to jog more than I did on the trail run. When I got home, I cooked a steak and had a terrific salad (from a bag of shredded cabbage, broccoli & brussel sprouts).
    So I'll keep training here in my neighborhood (if I go to my mailbox and back it's a half mile), and hope to do the whole 3 with the group, even though I'll be in the back. They don't mind and neither do I. Hey, if I'm in back, I'm still out there!
    There is a fundraising run in 3 weeks on May 11; I'd like to go do the 5k. Then starting May 25th the Arizona Road Racers puts on a series of 5k's through the summer (for those crazy people that run in Arizona in summertime).
    I've got a lot of opportunities to challenge myself.

Some exercise goals

I thought I would wake up sore on Sunday, but I wasn't. So I went out and jog/walked for about 15 minutes.
    Did it again on Monday, and just now today (Thursday). I didn't feel very energetic today, but since I'm going jogging with the group Saturday morning, I made myself: I have to keep practicing.

I wrote out some short term and long term exercise goals for myself:
    Long term goal: enter and run the Phoenix Half Marathon in November. By then I hope to try to follow the same pace as Bill Iffrig ran in the Boston Marathon. You know him as the white haired man in the orange tanktop that fell to the ground a few yards from the finish line just as the first bomb went off. He was assisted back up and finished the race; his chip time was 4 hours, 3 minutes, 47 seconds. He is 78. Damn.
    Short term goals: First - work up to jogging/running at least 20 minutes 5x a week; next - run a 5K every 3-4 weeks; next - run a 10K in September.

I had some food/control issues Monday and Tuesday - I just wanted to eat anything late in the evenings, and we have so little in the house that doesn't require cooking... Monday's eating was still Primal, but late Tuesday night I ate my mom's leftover pancakes - and I could feel it in the morning. But Wednesday was pure Primal. Coffee with cream and MCT oil, an 8oz steak for lunch, and some macadamia nuts in the evening. Writing this out it somehow doesn't sound healthy, but I'm doing LCHF in addition to Primal, and I've recently started trying the 5:2 fasting according to Dr. Micheal Mosley. I got his book last week, and it's been interesting reading.

Did my jog/walk this morning. 3 people had signed up but it was just the organizer and me. So we did a shortened loop and he gave me some tips as we went along. We covered 2.78 miles in 47 minutes. That's 3.54mph or a 17 minute mile. I realize that's pretty slow, but that's how it is in the beginning.

back to square 1, again

Can a person have a separate hidden personality within oneself that wants nothing more than to destroy the hopes and dreams of the main body?
    I place loosing weight and getting in shape at the top of my priority list, yet some inner "self" does all it can to get me to eat sugars and starches and go to bed late (like 3am, so that I get insufficient sleep + it's too hot to exercise when I get up).
    I've been eating so many non-primal foods in the last 2-3 weeks and not doing any exercise (like I stated I was going to do above) that I've added 6 pounds to the 88 I started out to loose 2 1/2 months ago. I act like a zombie in the kitchen "Must.Eat.Bread"
    Uggg. I get so disgusted with myself - it's all I can do to keep from having the "what's the point, I'll always be fat and out of shape, why not just give up?" attitude.
    I'm tired of starting over. So why can't I stop giving up?

Yesterday - was off to a good start...
    Thinking I will do a 5:2 fast (around 500 calories)
    B: Coffee w/ cream, protein shake (a mix with 15g)
    L: Protein shake (a mix with 25g), medium Pear
    Calories so far per MFP: 406
    S: 2 handfulls of raw almonds (counted 46, however I discovered when entering into MFP that this was way too many calories. So now now I'm up to 726, might as well make it a regular day)
    D: 5 roasted chicken drumsticks (was fine with 4, ate 5th because it was there)
    Calories per MFP: 1251. This is a very reasonable total. I have had sufficient calories for my level of activity for weight loss. This should be the end of my eating cycle. But no... I am still up another 5 hours after dinner.
    Then there was the very late night carb raid: a total of 4 large Kaiser rolls I found in the freezer, toasted, with lots of cream cheese.
    Calories total now: 2267.
    Seriously?
    Okay. I'm just going to have to move on. It's not the end of the world.
    Today is a new day.
    I'm going to try another "fast day", and keep calories to 500
    Last edited by desertcreature; 05-16-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling

drjoyous is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    it's all I can do to keep from having the "what's the point, I'll always be fat and out of shape, why not just give up?" attitude.
    I'm tired of starting over. So why can't I stop giving up?
    Please don't give up, Desertcreature! Many here struggle with much the same issues--there's support when it helps. Just please don't give up: it may take time to get where you want to go, but you WILL get there. It won't be perfect (none of us are!) but each step IS a step forward, even if it feels like it isn't. Keep getting back up after the fall... It's not starting over...it's keeping going in your OWN way.
    Keep looking for the way YOU need to do it, whether it's to decide that next time, it will only be 5 days "off primal" (instead of 6), well, that's an improvement. Each time, find what you did WELL, regardless of what you feel you didn't do the way you had planned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast