Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running With Supportive Shoes page

erinzest is offline Junior Member

Running With Supportive Shoes

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

I read "Born to Run" about 3 years ago, and was pretty convinced. I ended up getting some 5 Fingers, which I wear a couple of times a week, but I don't care to run more than 3 miles in them because my calves get insanely sore. I mainly do CrossFit and sprints in the 5 Fingers.

Instead, I've just been wearing my old supportive shoes (Adidas Supernova with overpronation support) for 3 years. I run about 20 - 25 miles a week. I've also run a marathon in that time.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my knees, hips, and ankles feel kinda creaky and achey when I run. I'm wondering if running on busted up old Supernovas might actually be worse than running on new super padded up Supernovas.

What do you think? Should I try to transition to running 100% in 5 Fingers?

Erin

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I would go to vffs 100% . I loved wearing mine and used them for everything . Running and cf incl

ciep is offline Senior Member
    It completely depends on your running mechanics and approach to training. Running in padded shoes is likely to lead to injuries, but running the wrong way in minimal shoes will too (and probably faster).

If you try to go minimal you need to make the transition slowly. I also suggest completely barefoot sprints on grass weekly to improve mechanics and strengthen your feet and legs.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Slowly transition to your VFF's full time. But before doing so, be sure to get the mechanics of POSE running down pat. It'll be a slow, gradual climb, but your body will thank you.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

komondor is offline Junior Member
    Definitely transition slowly. I personally don't like the VFF's mainly due to their soles and weight (they were pretty fat until the See Ya's). Any very low weight, low cushioning show with a large toe box + injinji socks will do the same thing. I love VivoBarefoot's Ultras which I did the Columbus Half in and I run ultras in shoes like Mizuno Wave Universe and Saucony ProGrid A5. There are some other ones out there as well.

fredmull is offline Junior Member
    You could do a low/mid support shoe like Komondor suggests. I've been enjoying my saucony kinvara. Almost as light a VFF but with slightly more cushioning. Running or walking on grass in VFFs will help with the transition.

RobertInCypress is offline Junior Member
    Minimalist running isn't for everyone. If your calfs hurt after longer runs in your vff's then you need more support on those longer runs. if your old adidas are worn out & have lots of miles on them that can be whats bothering you too. vff's are good but don't go crazy & don't rush into them. listen to your body & don't get hurt.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erinzest View Post
    Hi all!

I read "Born to Run" about 3 years ago, and was pretty convinced. I ended up getting some 5 Fingers, which I wear a couple of times a week, but I don't care to run more than 3 miles in them because my calves get insanely sore. I mainly do CrossFit and sprints in the 5 Fingers.

Instead, I've just been wearing my old supportive shoes (Adidas Supernova with overpronation support) for 3 years. I run about 20 - 25 miles a week. I've also run a marathon in that time.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my knees, hips, and ankles feel kinda creaky and achey when I run. I'm wondering if running on busted up old Supernovas might actually be worse than running on new super padded up Supernovas.

What do you think? Should I try to transition to running 100% in 5 Fingers?

Erin
    I want to reply to this post without even reading any of the responses, because I don't want to be influenced by those responses. This post struck a chord...

I have had a 20 year experimentation with orthotics and supportive shoes. The results, for me, are conclusive - supporting your feet may feel like relief, but it is an insidious relief that ultimately causes major problems. The creakiness and ache you feel is real. I had the same response to support. I thought, "But the podiatry community says you must support a pronating foot"! And if that support ruins your hips (my left hip always hurt in orthotics), makes your knees ache (mine did) and makes the joint of your big toe hurt worse (yep...happened to me...got swollen like you wouldn't believe), how is that good? Every time my feet got tired and I felt the need for support, I would insert orthotics, and it would feel good...for a while. Then the other symptoms, as you have reported, and as I have delineated, would surface, and I'd go through the whole cycle again.

I have ditched support, walk barefoot when I can, and cannot believe how much more fluid my joints feel. Pain? None. My vote is go without support. Start slow...work up to it. Don't run long distances until your muscles (especially atrophied foot muscles) get stronger. I'm doing it...it feels right.

By the way, I run in several shoes...Saucony Progrid Ride 5 (8 degree toe to heel difference), and two versions of Nike Free Run.
    Last edited by Bear; 04-12-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is to switch over to a zero drop shoe or barefoot, whichever you prefer. But, as others have said, go slowly and pay attention to your form. I think your previous problem with running in VFFs is that you didn't allow your legs to transition slowly and long enough.

I read something in another forum that really rings true: "you can run with good form in any shoes, but you MUST use good form if you're running in minimalist shoes." IMHO, for a lot of people, form may degrade in regular shoes when you get tired. At least in minimalist shoes, you can feel it and attempt to correct it.

For the record, I run in Luna Sandals (originals and Leadvilles) and have been using minimalist shoes for three years.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    You probably need new adidas too-even if you are transitioning. When I get 400 miles or so on my shoes my hips start to hurt. Everytime the miles go up my joints hurt-new shoes and I have relief.

Just my experience going minimalist-I got a double stress fracture in my heel due to calf issues in 2010. It was hell. I eased into, everything I was told to do. But it didn't work for me. I am a happy camper back in my regular shoes. Just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast