Thread: Gradual Grokette! page

Sarina1027 is offline Junior Member

Red face Gradual Grokette!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all - brand new here. I've been reading MDA for a while now (couple months). I have yet to jump in 100% with Primal - for me right now it's a process. Man, those dang grains and carbs are everywhere! My motivation is to be healthier and get more fit/lose some weight.

It's funny, I don't think the diet we have (my husband and i) is BAD - and actually it works just fine...for him. His body never changes, pick a day of the year and he's gonna be wearing those 30/32 levis and tipping the scales right about 143. just how it is....for him.

me? not so much. 52 years old, 5'9" and been stuck around 182ish for a long time. and now in the past year or so there's this weight shift to my middle which is SO not ok!

i suppose it's doable to have a semi-split household when it comes to meals and stuff? for now i'm trying to be real mindful of breakfast and lunch, meals while at work, and then just not fret so much over our dinner meal. i ordered Primal Fuel which is super handy to have at work!

totally a work in progress here! now what's this i hear about no cheese? come on...just kill me! can i just not go there for now? i'm revolutionizing my whole approach to food here!

anyway, nice to "meet" everybody!

Have A Bang On That is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarina1027 View Post
    Hello all - brand new here. I've been reading MDA for a while now (couple months). I have yet to jump in 100% with Primal - for me right now it's a process. Man, those dang grains and carbs are everywhere! My motivation is to be healthier and get more fit/lose some weight.

It's funny, I don't think the diet we have (my husband and i) is BAD - and actually it works just fine...for him. His body never changes, pick a day of the year and he's gonna be wearing those 30/32 levis and tipping the scales right about 143. just how it is....for him.

me? not so much. 52 years old, 5'9" and been stuck around 182ish for a long time. and now in the past year or so there's this weight shift to my middle which is SO not ok!

i suppose it's doable to have a semi-split household when it comes to meals and stuff? for now i'm trying to be real mindful of breakfast and lunch, meals while at work, and then just not fret so much over our dinner meal. i ordered Primal Fuel which is super handy to have at work!

totally a work in progress here! now what's this i hear about no cheese? come on...just kill me! can i just not go there for now? i'm revolutionizing my whole approach to food here!

anyway, nice to "meet" everybody!
    Welcome along.

I just got here myself, looks like i got a whole loada reading to catch up on, this is an excellent resource. There is another forum i use that has the same user template, so its nice n easy to get around.

t's good to see so many different peoples from many backgrounds coming together to get back to basics.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Sarina. I took it slowly when I first learned about primal nearly 3 years ago. I'm doing well despite not following the blueprint strictly.

We use up will power as the day goes on. I use that as a plan. I usually skip breakfast (which has helped tremendously), have lunch or brunch around 11, often bacon and eggs, but other primal choices would work. Then at dinner, I nearly always have carbs - white rice, white or sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, or other non-primal carbs. (I also snack some on nuts, cheese, etc.)

There is a scale of carbs from wheat to white rice and sweet potatoes. The more you can avoid wheat and similar grains, the better.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Mitch is offline Junior Member
    Mark's carb scale can be a good guide. Under 50/day rapid weight loss, 100/day steady weight loss, 150/day maintenance, all adjusted to you. Be aware that if you "splurge" the issue is you can take a couple of weeks to reset. So think about if the splurge is worth it. For me, no. After a few months of this it is a non-issue to avoid bread. pizza, tortillas whatever. I have also cut way back on alcohol-no beer, oaccasional wine and spirits with emphasis on occasional. I like wine (esp with red meat) but the trade off is not worth it.

Stay with it, you will get there.

mikesmithm2 is offline Junior Member
    The incidence of "gradual damage" seems to be on the rise, as homes get older and older. Gradual damage generally seems to revolve around rot, mildew, corrosion and the like, from water leaks. Many years ago there was absolutely NO cover for any form of gradual damage offered by Insurers.

Sarina1027 is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the replies and feedback. such a vast array of knowledge and methods on how people walk this walk. right now what is working FOR me is to restrict/limit the carb intake during the work day and then be mindful during the evening meal. i accept there is some stuff i am just not willing to eliminate right now and that's ok. (ie stouffer's mac n cheese....that's been a comfort food all my life - growing up my mom managed the apt building we lived and owned the small grocery store in the ground floor - i was left to my own devices a lot, and could safely navigate the microwave, thus lots of frozen foods). however, that's not like a daily occurrence!

supplementing with Primal Fuel during the day has really been helpful to the process. I've noticed that by reducing carb intake, i'm not that hungry or at least thinking i NEED to eat - while i'm not a huge snacker, i'm not mindlessly reaching for "something." now here's the kicker...finally I've lost a couple pounds! and i mean like two. my scale pointer was permanently stuck at 182 for a long time, as far as the lowest it would register. then in the past few months it had actually crept up around 186 or so. that was scary. i had tried a new hot flash/menopause OTC med and had failed to do enough research only to later found out one of the "side effects" was sudden weigh gain. well they weren't kidding - it was like 5 pounds boom, right around my waist. quickly quit that, weight normalized a bit. then i got the bright idea to try that certain cereal challenge with a K...protein drinks and bars, hey that has to be good for ya right? well not so much as the carb to protein ratio was 3 to 1??? boom, 5 pounds again.

sigh. slow learner. so now today, i feel more like i am in tune with what my body needs and perhaps just perhaps we are on the right path!? I've noticed that i feel....not sure better is the word...less sluggish, less run down, more up to the challenge of the day. might even say more mentally alert? my sleep is still a wreck but it's been that way for years - go to sleep ok, just wake up sometime around 1 or 2 am and then it's a battle to ever really get back to sleep. bad nights are being awake from 2am on, or 11pm - good nights are at least being to doze off again. i figure that will either change, or it won't...the less i FIGHT it and make sleep a big deal it's ok. stressing about not getting sleep doesn't help one sleep!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there. Some comfort food is ok. You just need to do 80% and do it your way. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.