Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpopulation, is it a myth?

Hybrid View

Overpopulation, is it a myth?

I just saw these videos, and I haven't really done more research on it, but I thought it was interesting and wondered if some of you knew more about it.

well then

No. The planet does not have the capacity to support unlimited continued increase in population. It is wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.

Back in the 70s, Zero Population Growth was considered the best way to reach sustainability. That went out the window during the Reagan years, with the influence of the religious right on policy.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-01-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    No. The planet does not have the capacity to support unlimited continued increase in population. It is wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.
    Ok. But do we have an idea of what the Earth's carrying capacity is exactly? Remember, we're not rabbits. We don't just eat. We plant, herd and husband. We create the food we eat. We support more people in better conditions that we ever have. People are born with one mouth but two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Ok. But do we have an idea of what the Earth's carrying capacity is exactly? Remember, we're not rabbits. We don't just eat. We plant, herd and husband. We create the food we eat. We support more people in better conditions that we ever have. People are born with one mouth but two hands.
    So you are suggesting that we should encourage overpopulation as an experiment to see if there is infinite arable land that can be both farmed and have housing built on it at the same time, as so often I have heard suggested?

Most arable land is already being farmed.
    Arable land is the most desirable and profitable for building housing.
    Once arable land has housing built on it, it will never be farmed again.
    A population increase results in demand for more housing.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.

So you are suggesting that we should encourage overpopulation as an experiment to see if there is infinite arable land that can be both farmed and have housing built on it at the same time, as so often I have heard suggested?
    No. The population swell of the last two centuries led to the productive gains we've seen. Those gains in efficiency mean we now need less people. And, lo and behold, population levels are starting to fall in the West.

We just went through a housing boom that had little to do with population pressures. It was a speculative mania that could've been avoided with high property taxes.

And I'm not sure that most arable land is being farmed. There are parts of the world that used to be farmed that aren't any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    No. The population swell of the last two centuries led to the productive gains we've seen. Those gains in efficiency mean we now need less people. And, lo and behold, population levels are starting to fall in the West.

We just went through a housing boom that had little to do with population pressures. It was a speculative mania that could've been avoided with high property taxes.

And I'm not sure that most arable land is being farmed. There are parts of the world that used to be farmed that aren't any more.
    Population is falling in the West, but until it falls all over the Earth, then too many people will remain a problem.

The parts of the world that used to be farmed and aren't any more are generally abandoned due to being ruined. There are two pressures on farmland right now. One is housing, since people like to live in lush places. The other is that our current agricultural practices work just at this moment, but they result in dead land. So we can feed the population now, but even if we keep up with current practices, the available land will shrink.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Sure, if you only think in square footage, if you think in cubic footage...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

I tend to stay away from Youtuba-nomics on such issues.

Way too much scaremongering and wonky wisdom for my liking...

It's great for watching funny cat videos though

Quote Originally Posted by Have A Bang On That View Post
    I tend to stay away from Youtuba-nomics on such issues.

Way too much scaremongering and wonky wisdom for my liking...

It's great for watching funny cat videos though
    Also great for workouts and exercise demos.

Also great for workouts and exercise demos.
    That's true, once learned how to fix my car from a tutorial... got me thinking, as to why Car manufacturers still insist on printing books that come with the car and not just provide a trouble shooting dvd ?

Would be handy for oil changes, head light changes, thats kinda thing..