Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpopulation, is it a myth? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Overpopulation, is it a myth?

Shop Now
    I just saw these videos, and I haven't really done more research on it, but I thought it was interesting and wondered if some of you knew more about it.

Billie trips balls

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    No. The planet does not have the capacity to support unlimited continued increase in population. It is wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.

Back in the 70s, Zero Population Growth was considered the best way to reach sustainability. That went out the window during the Reagan years, with the influence of the religious right on policy.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Have A Bang On That is offline Junior Member
    I tend to stay away from Youtuba-nomics on such issues.

Way too much scaremongering and wonky wisdom for my liking...

It's great for watching funny cat videos though

Quote Originally Posted by Have A Bang On That View Post
    I tend to stay away from Youtuba-nomics on such issues.

Way too much scaremongering and wonky wisdom for my liking...

It's great for watching funny cat videos though
    Also great for workouts and exercise demos.

Have A Bang On That is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Also great for workouts and exercise demos.
    That's true, once learned how to fix my car from a tutorial... got me thinking, as to why Car manufacturers still insist on printing books that come with the car and not just provide a trouble shooting dvd ?

Would be handy for oil changes, head light changes, thats kinda thing..

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    The earth can support the population that it already has by doing it with the current agricultural policies. But if everyone ate Primal the earth could not do so. An early statement in the podcast is wrong because it takes the landmas of the earth as an entity, while a good portion of the earth (the deserts) can support no humans or very few.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    No. The planet does not have the capacity to support unlimited continued increase in population. It is wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.
    Ok. But do we have an idea of what the Earth's carrying capacity is exactly? Remember, we're not rabbits. We don't just eat. We plant, herd and husband. We create the food we eat. We support more people in better conditions that we ever have. People are born with one mouth but two hands.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Funny you should ask because the Netherlands is a good example of why it's not a problem.

First, the saying about real estate -- "they're not making any more of it" -- isn't true in the Netherlands.

Second, one of the more densely populated countries on earth and yet a net food exporter.

The Dutch rank third worldwide in value of agricultural exports, behind the United States and France, with exports earning $55 billion annually. A significant portion of Dutch agricultural exports are derived from fresh-cut plants, flowers, and bulbs, with the Netherlands exporting two-thirds of the world's total. The Netherlands also exports a quarter of all the world's tomatoes, and trade of one-third of the world's exports of chilis, tomatoes and cucumbers goes through the country. The Netherlands also exports one-fifteenth of the world's apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Ok. But do we have an idea of what the Earth's carrying capacity is exactly? Remember, we're not rabbits. We don't just eat. We plant, herd and husband. We create the food we eat. We support more people in better conditions that we ever have. People are born with one mouth but two hands.
    So you are suggesting that we should encourage overpopulation as an experiment to see if there is infinite arable land that can be both farmed and have housing built on it at the same time, as so often I have heard suggested?

Most arable land is already being farmed.
    Arable land is the most desirable and profitable for building housing.
    Once arable land has housing built on it, it will never be farmed again.
    A population increase results in demand for more housing.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    They will stack us in shipping crates that go beneath the surface of the earth.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast