Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpopulation, is it a myth? page 2

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So you are suggesting that we should encourage overpopulation as an experiment to see if there is infinite arable land that can be both farmed and have housing built on it at the same time, as so often I have heard suggested?
    No. The population swell of the last two centuries led to the productive gains we've seen. Those gains in efficiency mean we now need less people. And, lo and behold, population levels are starting to fall in the West.

Most arable land is already being farmed.
    Arable land is the most desirable and profitable for building housing.
    Once arable land has housing built on it, it will never be farmed again.
    A population increase results in demand for more housing.
    We just went through a housing boom that had little to do with population pressures. It was a speculative mania that could've been avoided with high property taxes.

And I'm not sure that most arable land is being farmed. There are parts of the world that used to be farmed that aren't any more.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    No. The population swell of the last two centuries led to the productive gains we've seen. Those gains in efficiency mean we now need less people. And, lo and behold, population levels are starting to fall in the West.

We just went through a housing boom that had little to do with population pressures. It was a speculative mania that could've been avoided with high property taxes.

And I'm not sure that most arable land is being farmed. There are parts of the world that used to be farmed that aren't any more.
    Population is falling in the West, but until it falls all over the Earth, then too many people will remain a problem.

The parts of the world that used to be farmed and aren't any more are generally abandoned due to being ruined. There are two pressures on farmland right now. One is housing, since people like to live in lush places. The other is that our current agricultural practices work just at this moment, but they result in dead land. So we can feed the population now, but even if we keep up with current practices, the available land will shrink.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Fortunately the technocrats behind forces like the food industry are hard at work exterminating mankind
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Fortunately the technocrats behind forces like the food industry are hard at work exterminating mankind
    Small problem- they aren't taking them out prior to reproductive age, so it doesn't help much.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Factory farming and growing crops that strip the land of nutrients is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. I saw a PSA recently that talked about 60 years of bringing meds and food to a specific area. Really? 60 years is a long time. Sustainable foods are the only way to go. Monsanto and others who profit from bullshit practices and fake food pay the powers that be to foster the "intelligence" that says we can't feed everyone. But of course we can. If you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Small problem- they aren't taking them out prior to reproductive age, so it doesn't help much.
    haha well remedied with a draft and a plague and a haarp earthquake or three.

Maybe the nations are proceeding at very different speeds, but in America, our local police even have been integrated now into the federal (which is to say also UN) computer web; county-wide police departments work with real-time feeds of acreage of total surveillance plugged into facial recognition, license plate scanning, overhead thermal scans and video, and they stop motorists based on red-flags generated by computerized intelligence profiling based on these scans, which are nationwide and networked right down to municipalities.

So, the enforcement surveillance citadel's cement is juuuuust now settling over daily life (with all of the accompanying incremental outrages- road-block check-point shakedowns, citizens abused or murdered by police with impunity, mental health dungeon disappearances).

Once that Jersey I-95 Corridor Manhattan Digital Fortress computerized law enforcement shit is totally nationwide, they can bottom out the economy with disasters and fake disease quarantine extermination squads and there will be no means of effective escape or resistance from the kill-zones that they have mapped in department meetings around population clusters.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    The videos are accurate and I suspect the myth of overpopulation is a media ruse to depopulate white people, whom they hate.

It was interesting last year observing the mainstream media celebrate that 2011 was the first year ever where there were more blacks and Hispanics born than whites in the U.S., and the mainstream media widely celebrate this as a "milestone for diversity" and America "overcoming white privilege", etc., etc. Conversely, anytime a white dares to have children the media calls them "selfish" and cries for government to sterilize people begin anew.

The late, great Michael Crichton did a good deal documenting the media-concocted lies and stupid premises ("resource consumption increases symmetrically with raw numbers" which is something that has never been true in the history of the species) of overpopulation. His speech, 'Environmentalism as a Religion' is just one place to get some perspective.

I suppose the bottom line with having families, though, just like with the paleo diet, is this: If you agree with it, do it. If not, don't. It's each individual's own personal business, and nobody else's.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    The green revolution is actually black.....black gold. Petroleum is the energy source driving the green revolution. It's used in pesticides and nitrogen fertilizers are derived from natural gas production, not to mention the diesel equipment used in agriculture.

Eating Fossil Fuels
    by Dale Allen Pfeiffer
    http://www.queensu.ca/ensc/undergrad...Animalfeed.pdf
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah overpopulation exists. I experienced that living in central London.

I moved away for a better quality of life around 11 years ago.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First two links state the following:

What percentage of the earth that is land mass is populated? | ChaCha
    It is estimated that only 10 percent of Earth's surface is lightly or densely populated. Over half of the Earth's land mass consists of areas inhospitable to human inhabitation, such as deserts and high mountains. -
    How much of the Earths surface is inhabited by humans
    According to Matt Rosenberg, in this:

http:/geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/a/popdensity.htm

90% of the population occupies 3% of the land. Land covers 29% of the globe.

.03 x .29 = .0087 = .87% Let's call it 1%. Therefore, if Mr. Rosenberg is

correct with his data, I believe it's very safe to say that less than 2% of the Earth's

surface is inhabited by humans.
    And National Geographic (2005): Farming Claims Almost Half Earth's Land, New Maps Show

Farming Claims Almost Half Earth's Land, New Maps Show
    James Owen
    for National Geographic News
    December 9, 2005

Food production takes up almost half of the planet's land surface and threatens to consume the fertile land that still remains, scientists warn.

The global impact of farming on the environment is revealed in new maps, which show that 40 percent of the Earth's land is now given over to agriculture. snip
    I have no idea if the first two links are reliable sources, but I think Nat Geo is.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast