Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Man dies of liver overdose - said noone ever. page 4

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Lots of good words in here! I also seem to stop at about a pound of liver every week. Whether it's the vit. A or the dense metals, I'm not sure. But my vitamin D level is at 60, so I'm pretty sure I can handle all the vitamin A I want.

I tend to get chicken liver (pastured when possible) because it's so cheap, but I have a cow liver in the freezer I need to thaw, chop, and freeze again.

I eat two cans of oysters a week, so that angle is covered.

Thyroids are very fragile! I'm hesitant to accept every theory out there, but fluoride seems valid and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that simple dietary imbalances add to the problem.

As for Little Caesar's pizza, that's a nice cheat. I remember when I was first starting Primal and cheating a lot to make it easy, I'd do that. One whole large pizza to myself. It's surprisingly easy (no satiety signals, pseudo-food magic!) to eat a whole one in one sitting. And other than painful joints and maybe a few zits, I was never worse for the wear after the inflammation wore off in two or three days.

Stellar's Sea Lion. What other rare organ meats have nutritional info? Wow.

My iron always came back normal, on city water. I've been on well water for a few months now, maybe I should donate again for a free iron level, LOL.

And props for hypercolor teeth. Some dentist just read that and is about to become a billionaire.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I donate blood
    Derp I have got to take my hat off to you.
    We all suck so much out of socety that giving a little back goes a long way towards balance - So well done you !
    Raising glass of very nice NZ pinot noir, in a toast to giving a wee bit back !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That chart is a lot of bullshit.

Flushing and that inflammatory response is hypoglycemia from too much protein without adequate sugar to balance it out.
    I know, I know, I know! Nutritiondata.com has been debunked. Still though, it made sense to me when I was flushing and getting bleeding gums from this apparent nutritional holy grail. As someone said, I guess the devil's in the dosage. I'll try eating it with potatoes

Red wine also has this effect on me... maybe I should chase every glass of Rioja with a chicken liver?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    why do you have an irrational fear of food? I ate that pizza(whole large), chased it down with 6 mexican colas, chugged coffee and smoked a cigarette and I'm still alive. In fact, not only did I not die, but I'm feeling pretty fantastic and my abs have more definition to boot. Will I eat pizza regularly? No, of course not, because it definitely won't ever top a nice lb of dates with some good cheese. The quality is definitely not very good.
    I just got back from a week in Austria with a friend who is afraid of eggs and red meat. He nearly died when I told him my egg count. He insisted we eat oats every morning for brekkie and have a meat free day. I had lentils and tofu, and even had a slice of bread. I didn't die. But I also realise that those foods don't do much for me.

Saying that, my friend is ripped and has great skin. In fact, a lot of my CW friends look great. So I keep my mouth shut about what I believe is healthy because sometimes I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Who knew that giving up foods that make you sick is a manifestation of an irrational fear? You learn something new every day.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I just got back from a week in Austria with a friend who is afraid of eggs and red meat. He nearly died when I told him my egg count. He insisted we eat oats every morning for brekkie and have a meat free day. I had lentils and tofu, and even had a slice of bread. I didn't die. But I also realise that those foods don't do much for me.

Saying that, my friend is ripped and has great skin. In fact, a lot of my CW friends look great. So I keep my mouth shut about what I believe is healthy because sometimes I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on.
    I agree with him. The less animal products i eat an more plants i displace them with, the better i look and feel. Usually i will only have one animal product meal a day.

Also dont eat liver if it doesnt agree with you. There is certainly nothing in it you cant get somewhere else.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    There are no other organs, AFAIK, that contain the anti-exhaustion factor.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    HowStuffWorks "Vitamin A in Polar Bear Liver"

Your own personal tolerable upper limit depends on how efficient your enzyme system is, and how efficient your liver is at storing vitamin A. While the tolerable upper limit for healthy adults is set at 10,000 IU, signs of toxicity generally occur when approximately 25,000 to 33,000 IU are consumed [source: Higdon].

Without enough vitamin A in your system, you could easily find yourself facing symptoms just as bad as those associated with hypervitaminosis A. Deficiencies can lead to dry skin, diarrhea, blindness, growth retardation and even death.

Polar bears aren't immune to the dangers of consuming too much or too little vitamin A; they're affected just as severely by excess or deficiency. The only difference is that polar bears have a much higher tolerance for vitamin A. For instance, a healthy human liver contains 575 international units (IU) of vitamin A per gram while a polar bear's liver contains between 24,000 and 35,000 IU per gram [source: Eliasen]. Compare that to the tolerable upper level of vitamin A intake for a healthy adult human: 10,000 IU [source: Higdon].

Like many animals, polar bears benefit from keeping a certain amount of vitamin A in their system, but there's nothing to indicate they actually require such large quantities. In fact, their physiology evolved to tolerate so much vitamin A for only one reason: to eat seals.

Vitamin A Content Of Beef Liver | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Vitamin A Content of Beef Liver
    A single slice or 68 grams of braised beef liver contains 21,565 International Units or IU's of vitamin A which is equal to 431 percent daily value of Vitamin A, based upon a 2,000 calorie diet, according to Calorie Lab.

Paleo people only eat liver as they made a kill which was then usually shared among others. They weren't eating liver day after day. I like liver and eat it once, sometimes twice, a week. If I tried to eat it more than that I'd get sick of it. But you can overdose if you eat too much of it.
    Last edited by Scott F; 03-02-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Who knew that giving up foods that make you sick is a manifestation of an irrational fear? You learn something new every day.
    Sorry, I just lose track of all the food that makes people sick nowadays.

People take what they read too far. Whenever they have a symptom, they're desperate to find any solution, and seeing something written, said, etc; that prescribes said ailment to a particular food makes many people tie it together without it even being applicable to them. Of course, particular foods are certainly not healthy to eat, like commercial pizza, but it's unlikely to have a horrible effect after consuming it once in a while. People just want that to happen so they can believe they're at the holy grail of health by eating a severely limited diet of meat and salad.

Or, in your friends case, plant protein(ick...)
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-02-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Derp I have got to take my hat off to you.
    We all suck so much out of socety that giving a little back goes a long way towards balance - So well done you !
    Raising glass of very nice NZ pinot noir, in a toast to giving a wee bit back !
    Thanks Gwamma.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast