Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statins Save Lives!!!!

Hybrid View

Statins Save Lives!!!!

According to this article, it is self-evidently true and widely accepted that lowering LDL-C with statins saves countless lives. It makes my head hurt listening to all of the experts take diametrically opposing positions and all of them have plenty of research to back-up their positions. I will be getting a new lipid panel soon (first one since late 2011 when I started my primal journey). I am afraid to see the results as I suspect my LDL-C has skyrocketed due to my HFVLC diet. Most of the time I tell myself: who cares, high LDL-C is not a reliable predictor of anything and statins do much more harm than good. However, there are times (like when I read this article) that I wonder if I am signing my own death warrant with my HFVLC diet. I eat the HFVLC diet to control my blood sugar which I am betting is my best path to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.

Do We Really Need Head-To-Head Comparison Trials With Statins To Improve Cardiac Health? - Forbes
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-01-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Have you read Griff's posts on Cholesterol here. Do. My numbers are high but the ratios are good. I'm not a bit worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Have you read Griff's posts on Cholesterol here. Do. My numbers are high but the ratios are good. I'm not a bit worried.
    Yes, but his info seems to be quite dated.

Griff Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Why do you say that. It's up to date, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Why do you say that. It's up to date, I believe.
    Last edited Aug 2010.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Cholestyramine, a drug they tout, has been removed from the NIH's list.

Here's a great book published last year, 2012
    "How Statin Drugs Really Lower Cholesterol: And Kill You One Cell at a Time", by James B. and Hannah Yoseph
    This is a review, I haven't read it yet.
    "The Yosephs have written the most stunning exposť. In simple language they reveal the science, the corruption and the enormous conspiracy it took to bring statins to market. As fast paced as a Mickey Spillane novel they report the research, the fraud and the facts like a detective in hot pursuit of a Nazi war criminal. Once picked up it cannot be put down until the reading is done. It is riveting. They have accomplished the impossible: they have made both complex science and medical history fascinating to read. What could not be done in an exposť they accomplished with almost unbelievable ease. It will change your paradigms about medicine forever as will the sequel "Poisoned! (Recovery From Statin Side Effects)". Read it!"

Or this remedy, which is Great!
    23. Fish Oil Vs. Statin Drugs - YouTube

It might not be scientific, but I want to point out that my dad was put on statins for a while and he had to stop taking them because of the pain in his legs. It still bothers him. They can have very serious side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    It is a bit. But at least it isn't blatantly incorrect like that forbes article.

First the article was written by a big pharma insider.

Second, there was no discussion of total death rates. The two studies cited only considered CV death rates. I want to stay alive from all causes, not just some!

Finally, these drug trials have exclusion criteria that don't match the general population. What has been the real world experience of these drugs?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

I believe that avoiding refined seed oils, transfats and exsessive omega6, and replacing it with coconut oil, olive oil, wild fish, and pastured meat and eggs, protects against heart disease even better than statins do.

Big pharma probably isn't too eager to do that head-to-head study though are they?
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan