Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statins Save Lives!!!! page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Statins Save Lives!!!!

Primal Fuel
    According to this article, it is self-evidently true and widely accepted that lowering LDL-C with statins saves countless lives. It makes my head hurt listening to all of the experts take diametrically opposing positions and all of them have plenty of research to back-up their positions. I will be getting a new lipid panel soon (first one since late 2011 when I started my primal journey). I am afraid to see the results as I suspect my LDL-C has skyrocketed due to my HFVLC diet. Most of the time I tell myself: who cares, high LDL-C is not a reliable predictor of anything and statins do much more harm than good. However, there are times (like when I read this article) that I wonder if I am signing my own death warrant with my HFVLC diet. I eat the HFVLC diet to control my blood sugar which I am betting is my best path to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.

Do We Really Need Head-To-Head Comparison Trials With Statins To Improve Cardiac Health? - Forbes
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-01-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Have you read Griff's posts on Cholesterol here. Do. My numbers are high but the ratios are good. I'm not a bit worried.

peril is offline Senior Member
    First the article was written by a big pharma insider.

Second, there was no discussion of total death rates. The two studies cited only considered CV death rates. I want to stay alive from all causes, not just some!

Finally, these drug trials have exclusion criteria that don't match the general population. What has been the real world experience of these drugs?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I believe that avoiding refined seed oils, transfats and exsessive omega6, and replacing it with coconut oil, olive oil, wild fish, and pastured meat and eggs, protects against heart disease even better than statins do.

Big pharma probably isn't too eager to do that head-to-head study though are they?
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

I'm allergic to all statins, really badly. They just tear up my intestins. I've been made to try them all. Some non-statin medicines even effect me badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Have you read Griff's posts on Cholesterol here. Do. My numbers are high but the ratios are good. I'm not a bit worried.
    Yes, but his info seems to be quite dated.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I believe that avoiding refined seed oils, transfats and exsessive omega6, and replacing it with coconut oil, olive oil, wild fish, and pastured meat and eggs, protects against heart disease even better than statins do.

Big pharma probably isn't too eager to do that head-to-head study though are they?
    I hope you are right because that is exactly what I eat. Pastured eggs, grass fed/finished beef (including beef liverwurst) and bison, olive oil, Wild Planet skipjack tuna and sardines, Nutiva coconut oil, Bobs Red Mill unsweeted shredded coconut, Navitas nibs, 90% Lindt, Kerrygold cheeses and Greek yogurt make up at least 98% of my calories.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I used to work for a doc who was a major figure in early cholesterol research and thus became seriously indoctrinated into the cholesterol causes heart disease way of thinking. When I see articles such as the one you cite, I too have my brief moment of second thoughts. It is hard to stand firm against their assurance that their way of thinking is right.

However, when I followed their official advice I was fat and tired, and also had high trigs and low HDL as well as over the norm TC and LDL. I also had slowly elevating BP. Statins lowered the TC and LDL but also lowered the HDL into what they would classify as dangerous territory and raised my trigs. I was still fat and my BP was still going up. Enough, I said.

Today, eating primal, I still have elevated TC and LDL -- but I also have an outrageously high HDL, basement level trigs, and an outstanding CR-P,. My last BP was 114/74, and I've lost 70 lbs. More than that, I listen to my body and my body says that I'm doing the right thing as I feel super well and am full of energy. The persons that write these reports only prove that they are well-indoctrinated in CW thinking and are unable to face facts or reason for themselves. There is much evidence that we are doing the best thing for our bodies. Don't listen to the well-trained little boys who merely regurgitate old info in order to scare you.

Griff Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yes, but his info seems to be quite dated.
    Why do you say that. It's up to date, I believe.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Why do you say that. It's up to date, I believe.
    Last edited Aug 2010.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-02-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast