Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a tinfoil night cap? Biphasic sleep weirdness. page

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Do I need a tinfoil night cap? Biphasic sleep weirdness.

Primal Fuel
    So I've been an unintentional biphasic sleeper all week. Sunday night thru Thursday night. I wake up once, pee, sit/lie quietly for 20-30 minutes, and go back to sleep. Very restorative, deep, beautiful sleep. I'm not complaining.

The odd thing is that I've woken up at pretty much EXACTLY 2 a.m. (ranging from 1:54 to 2:02) 5 nights in a row.

I sleep where there's no light, and no illuminated clock. It's "can't see your hand in front of your face" pitch black. No signals or cues I can think of for me to subconsciously know that it's 2 a.m.

Bed time has ranged from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. So it's not that I'm waking up a certain number of hours after going to bed.

So, here are my potential hypotheses for this phenomenon:

Secret government implant in my brain
    Aliens

Obviously I'm not convinced that either of these is/could be responsible. Anybody have a more feasible guess at the mechanism? Or do I need to find a way to wear my tinfoil hat to bed?

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    I would look for something new in the house that is making a noise about that time, that might be enough to disturb your sleep but not loud enough and not lasting long enough for you to recall it when you wake.

I had that issue for awhile, turned out to be an old watch in a drawer in the kitchen that had an alarm set that was going off.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Do I need a tinfoil night cap?
    I don't know how you can sleep without one!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I remember a story my mom told me long ago about a time when we moved to a new house that was no longer near a church clock that tolled every hour. For a time, she would wake up hourly because of the absence of the sound. Of course, she wasn't wearing a tinfoil hat at the time.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 03-01-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I would look for something new in the house that is making a noise about that time.
    No new electro-gizmos in my house. It is a condo with paper-thin walls, so there could be a noise in one of the adjacent units. But wouldn't that likely be going off at 2:00 a.m. exactly? Not 1:54 one day and 2:02 the next? I still say it's the illuminati reading my thoughts in the night that I'm reacting to. Or Pee Wee Herman. Never did trust that guy.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed almost the same pattern lately as well. I'm not sure at what time I wake up, because I don't have an illuminated clock either, but I get the feeling that it's pretty much at the same time every night.
    Could it be the full moon? Seriously.

I like the moon idea. Makes some sense of the precise timing thing. I'll keep an eye and see if it continues to get either earlier, or later (or stop happening altogether) as the moon wanes further. In the meantime, I'm going to wallpaper my sleep room with tinfoil and duct tape, just to be safe.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I kinda like biphasic sleep where I actually get up and do something for awhile (even if it's just some paperwork) then go back to sleep.

As for 2AM every night....

1d10t could be right. I've experienced the waking up due to lack of something familiar too. It can be as simple as a fan or a light (street light outside your condo) turning off, or traffic lights switching from normal to flashing yellow/flashing red overnight mode. However, in my experience there is usually an accompanying feeling of something-like-unease. Not panic or anything, but a feeling that you are on alert. Silence in nature can indicate a predator is near, after all.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I would think that one of those Northface fuzzy beanie caps would suffice... they are lined with foil dot fabric you know... and that SHOULD keep the aliens/gubment out.

Especially if you get a nice purple one.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Personally, I kinda like biphasic sleep where I actually get up and do something for awhile (even if it's just some paperwork) then go back to sleep.

As for 2AM every night....

1d10t could be right. I've experienced the waking up due to lack of something familiar too. It can be as simple as a fan or a light (street light outside your condo) turning off, or traffic lights switching from normal to flashing yellow/flashing red overnight mode. However, in my experience there is usually an accompanying feeling of something-like-unease. Not panic or anything, but a feeling that you are on alert. Silence in nature can indicate a predator is near, after all.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not complaining. The sleep has been great, some of the best I've had as an adult. The closest traffic light is probably too far to hear, even in a super-aware state. And there's zero light in my sleep cave. It has no windows.

I don't remember feeling any unease when I wake up, just disappointment I realize that I have to get up to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I would think that one of those Northface fuzzy beanie caps would suffice... they are lined with foil dot fabric you know... and that SHOULD keep the aliens/gubment out.

Especially if you get a nice purple one.
    I should probably get some foil dot lined purple fuzzy footie pajamas too just to be on the safe side. Don't you think?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast