Thread: Sleeping with mouth CLOSED page

vintageeats is offline Member

Sleeping with mouth CLOSED

Shop Now
    Kind of geekily thrilled this morning that last night, I was able to sleep pretty much the entire night breathing through my nose. Have always been self-conscious of the feeling that I might be snoring with my mouth open - not the sexiest sleepovers with a partner does that make

Has anyone else noticed an increased ability to just.. breathe? I've never been a mouth breather during the day, per se, but at night, I couldn't sleep with it closed.

Oh, and also down a good eight pounds. Woohoo!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I don't think I ever fully breathed through my nose until going Primal in my mid-20's. I can't believe I suffered through that for all those years.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Mouth breathing is horrible for your teeth--it dries out your saliva, which protects your teeth from decay; your immune system--it bypasses the mucus membranes and hairs that are meant to trap pathogens before they reach your lungs; your energy--you absorb oxygen more efficiently breathing through your nose because the air is warmed and moistened, which makes gas transfer faster; and your posture--mouth breathing often comes with a forward head tilt that can cause back and neck problems. It can also cause or exacerbate asthma (because dry cold air in the lungs causes bronchial inflammation).

So it's definitely a good thing if you're keeping that mouth shut! Unfortunately a lot of mouth breathing is caused by a narrowed upper palate, which constricts the nasal passages (it also shows up as crooked/crowded teeth), and requires palate expansion to correct. I'm hopefully getting that done in the next couple of years since I have the same problem. If I get even the smallest bit congested It becomes very difficult to breathe through my nose.

Apparently if you have adequately developed maxilla/upper palate, you should be able to breathe through your nose comfortably even while jogging or playing sports, something I've never been able to do. Looking forward to it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

vintageeats is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Apparently if you have adequately developed maxilla/upper palate, you should be able to breathe through your nose comfortably even while jogging or playing sports, something I've never been able to do. Looking forward to it.
    I've started doing that too!

Good luck with the palate extension journey - it sounds like it'll help you a lot. It sucks to not be able to breathe.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My oldest child was a mouth breather. Chronic throat infections and the grossest tonsils! Plus some tooth decay, snoring, bad breath,etc.

Since starting orthodontia, her jaw alignment is much improved and she rarely breathes through her mouth, even while sleeping with a mouth full of metal! A couple of years before that, she did some exercises to make her aware of her mouth breathing and correct some bad habits. The simplest thing to do was hold something between her closed lips, like a plastic credit card, for longer periods of time. She did this while she did other activities like reading or watching TV, when she was most likely to hold her mouth open unconsciously.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Oh I like the credit card idea! When I'm concentrating on something I tend to let my mouth hang open. It's a particular problem when I'm playing the cello - does not look good when I'm performing! I'll try the credit card to see if I can retrain myself.

The trouble is that I do tend to breathe a little more heavily than my nose allows. In bed at night I find it helpful to lie such that the dominant nostril (you always breathe through one nostril more than the other, and swap round every couple of hours) is downwards; thus gravity helps open it just that little bit wider. It does mean I have to wake up to turn over sometimes. But I tend to get back to sleep again very quickly. And I don't get sore throats from having my mouth open.