Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How do I ....ahem... get bigger? page 5

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i clicked it BECAUSE of the title
    Ditto. Led down the garden path by an "ahem"
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Found this txt from the man him self..

"I have tried on several occasions to increase my muscle mass through a focused program of more intense weight-training and more copius eating. But I’m what we call a “hardgainer”. The most I was ever able to weigh was 169. That extra five pounds of muscle was not only difficult to achieve (and still keep body fat low) it was almost impossible to retain. I had to eat way more (and more often) than I intuitively wanted to and couldn’t skip more than a few hard workouts or I’d start to lose the muscle. I also couldn’t play hard without burning it up. I realized that this was a totally non-Primal pursuit."
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

johnny767 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone.

I wish Iíd posed this question a year ago

Some Initial thoughts:

Diet

Iím surprised that 3000 calories a day is considered to be too much; according to Fitday, thatís almost exactly what I burn on a normal day (before any exercise at the gym). According to the advice given here; I would actually need to increase to 3600 a day to achieve slow bulk

I Ďm really not sure what to do about what I am eating; I had intended to go through March with carbs below 50 grams a day (thinking Ketosis would burn off some of the fat) and was intending to increase overall calorie intake.

The make-up of my diet doesnít vary much at all (ever);

Breakfast; tuna/salmon/smoked salmon/mackerel /chicken/sardines/eggs (up to 6 a day) with salad.. Lunch mostly the same. Dinner; steak/chicken/ground beef/pork chops/lamb chops/white fish/salmon/ with steamed vegetables; usually broccoli and cauliflower/cabbage

Iíve recently got hooked on protein shakes; which Iíve started making with coconut milk. Other than stopping the coconut milk, Iím not sure how I reduce fat and increase protein further.

I am going to read up on leangain; and intend to give it a shot.

Workouts

I thought I was pushing myself fairly hard at the gym. I steadily increase the weight (sometimes too ambitious and need to drop back). If I am not satisfied with the number of reps I can achieve; I make myself do my sets until I am satisfied. I find I need at least two or three rest days otherwise my performance deteriorates . I had assumed that if I could do two hard 90 minute sessions a week it would be enough Ė plus an occasional cardio session. Iím going to have a weights session tomorrow : Iíll record what I do here. I have been doing spin from time to time but will switch to ďboot campĒ.

Iím 52; I guess I need to modify aspirations and expectations a little. I think my current weight is around 198 lbs (6 ď 1í) is that typical for skinny fat? My waist has gone from 38 to 34 in 12 months.

Iíll get my arm checked out

Iíll really make an effort to get my head around the leangain principle Ė and the advice given here.

Iíll really commit for the next two months and see what I can achieve; Iíll post progress pictures. Until I know what Iím doing, or am advised to do otherwise, I will;

• Keep my calorie level about where it is now. Keep my carbs at 50 to 70 grams a day for March
    • Increase the amounts that I am lifting (and frequency) introduce one boot camp or boxercise session a week
    • Start sprinting (when the snow goes).

Iím excited by this!

Oh, and I was convinced that it had actually got bigger since my 265 lb days; I now find out itís probably just an optical illusion .

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I think you are a perfect candidate for a leangains approach (metabolic surge sounds like a leangains ripoff).
    In my original comment I mentioned both LeanGains.com and Metabolic Surge by Nick Nilsson. He's a natural beast: 19" arms for a 5'9"-5'10" dude.

Him performing 30 reps of deadlifts using 350 lbs with a trap bar in his home gym.

High-Rep Trap Bar Deadlifts - 350 lbs x 30 reps - YouTube

To the OP, johnny767, I can e-mail you the Metabolic Surge program just send me a message. Or you can try reading through LeanGains and follow that style of training. Either should get you where you want to be. Nick (Metabolic Surge author) is an absolute professional and knows his stuff. The same goes for Martin Berkhan at LeanGains.com

I'm 5'10" and around 200 lbs so my daily maintenance is around 2700-3000 calories including activity level. 3000 calories seems like that would be your maintenance so try decreasing it by 250 calories. That's not a lot so it should be easy to accomplish.

If you've been around 3000 for a while now and haven't seen changes, and you're trying to decrease your body fat, the last thing I'd tell you to do is increase your calories.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Every time this thread goes back to the top of the page I want to post this...
    So here it is.
    It'll help you... ahem... get bigger.
    ďYou have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.Ē
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    Nope.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it looks bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Every time this thread goes back to the top of the page I want to post this...
    So here it is.
    It'll help you... ahem... get bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny767 View Post

Oh, and I was convinced that it had actually got bigger since my 265 lb days; I now find out it’s probably just an optical illusion .

Men and their JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha LMFAO................... or LMF head O
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I was also afraid to click on this thread from the title - but anyway,

I reckon you look great! Total silver fox

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    And I was just about to provide a link to "the pump".

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ďYou have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.Ē
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ha - you jest, but some men say that being primal makes their penises bigger... so I was curious

OP, I'm pretty lazy, but I have discovered that a range of physical activity (cycling, walking, swimming, running, body weight exercises) coupled with calorie cycling has tightened me up considerably. Sometimes people overthink things. A wide range of activity plus a weekly calorie deficit works for me

Although that advice is based on gettting wirey and lean. maybe not if you want to get "big". And btw - yes - total silver fox!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast