Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I ....ahem... get bigger? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny767 View Post
    I’m not sure what skinny fat is but I’m sure I don’t want to look it.
    The best way to visualize skinny-fat is to picture a fashion model and a fitness model. Though they may wear the exact same size, the fashion model may have zero muscle development and enough more fat to qualify as "overweight", while the fitness model could have her body fat % so low she looks "cut".

I will try to ramp up the workout program. – and find out what progressive overload is
    If you do the same strength workout each time, your body will adapt and you will reach an equilibrium. To increase muscle mass, you must increase intensity or volume of exercise you do.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    You should lean out before you concern yourself with bulking up.

I have no idea why people are telling you to eat more when you have weight to lose to meet your goals. Don't.
    Simply because with a higher amount of muscle, which the OP lacks, it'll be a lot easier to shed the fat + he'll have a decent amount of lean mass when cutting.

As an easygainer I find it much harder to lose fat after bulking.

IMO there's no such thing as easy or hard gainer, you're just underestimating or overestimating the amount of calories you are ingesting.

Yep, that's your opinion. That's why some guys in the gym struggle to put on weight despite heroic efforts and other men and women have no difficulty gaining both fat and muscle. Must be self-delusion.

They aren't eating enough or they think they are eating less than they really are.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    They aren't eating enough or they think they are eating less than they really are.
    Ugh. There is so more more to gaining lean mass or shedding fat then just eatin more or less. Types or exercise and workouts, calorie partitioning, calorie timing, macro breakdown. Sure you can eat you face off and gain some lean mass and also a bunch of fat, or restrict calories and lose weight (fat and lean mass) but whats the point of that?

Everyone is different. Train and eat smart and you can accomplish a lot more in a shorter amount of time.

johnny767 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone.

There is some fantastic information and advice here: I will read it carefully and change my approach accordingly. I want to read absorb and understand each post before responding

Oh, Iím 52 Ė maybe old enough to know better. I'm not ready for pipe and slippers just yet though. I monitor everything I do in the gym and try to constantly increase the weights (and reps). The only problems I have had with injury is recurring (started last October ) pain in my right upper arm (tendons?) Ė itís particularly painful with after/during pull-ups and barbell curls. When I do hammer curls I have to do 18 kg left and only 10 right; Iíll end up lop-sided

I also aggravated an old knee injury (damaged tendons) ; I leg-press 728 lbs (on a machine thing) and donít always bother to warm up first.

Thanks again for your help; I will respond over the weekend

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who was afraid to click the thread based on a misinterpretation of the title?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Darz. I see

a) Loose Skin -- Mark says that this should shrink back over time.
    b) Naturally thin muscles (you're in good company; Mark has thin muscles too -- look at his calves.)
    c) Skinny fat

Skinny fat is when your weight seems low but the muscles are flab and the fat is in all the wrong places, like the waist. You see it more on vegetarians and women. If you've even seen the movie "Fathead" (free on Hulu.com), the filmmaker mentions that he went vegetarian for a while, and he "lost weight but it was all in my muscles, I was still fatty in my middle." He was skinny fat. That's why Primal people like to measure weight loss by waist size or % fat instead of raw scale weight.

Here's my 2 cents: If you're exercising one hour a week, then 3000 calories is WAY too much. I would say that you should cut out 60 grams of protein and 80 grams of fat to bring you down to about 2000 calories per day. Really! Once the fat is gone, you can reassess the muscles.

For the workouts, fewer reps at higher weight is what builds muscle bulk. Your legs seem fine For abs, I personally like the Swiss Ball (also called balance ball) exercises; a guy name Adam Ford is an expert, he's on You Tube.

...and one more thing... if you're feeling tendon pain, PLEASE go get tested and go to physical therapy!

I had tendonitis a year ago. I didn't think it was a big deal, and the doc only "recommended" physical therapy. But when I did go to therapy, the therapist said she was glad I was there, because I needed it. It's very easy to aggravate and it takes months to heal. Give your shoulders a break until that pain is gone.
    Last edited by oxide; 03-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast