Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I ....ahem... get bigger? page 2

johnny767 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    By looking at your pictures you do have some subcutaneous fat in your midsection, but you also seem to have some loose skin; and by looking at your legs, arms, face and clavicles, you are skinny, and lack proper muscle mass overall. In my opinion, and others should share theirs, I'd say a slow bulk with a good workout program, concentrating on heavy barbell exercises: deadlifts, squats, bench press, presses, barbell rows, etc and, very important, progressive overload. Because, I think, if you keep on losing more weight, you'll end up looking skinny fat.
    Darz – thanks!

I think you describe me pretty well. I’m not sure what skinny fat is but I’m sure I don’t want to look it. Yeah I don’t want to lose more weight (I really look tired and drawn when I do). Does slow bulk mean increase my calories (protein? fat?) ? (Sorry to ask a dumb question)

I will try to ramp up the workout program. – and find out what progressive overload is

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Progressive overload means simply to increase the weight or reps/sets of an exercise to induce stress --> to estimulate muscle hypertrophy; every workout or every week you should be able to increase your lifts with a proper diet and routine. Skinny fat is to look skinny, with very little muscle mass and have, that would depend on the individual, a certain amount of fat. A slow bulk would be to eat about 15-20% above your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure); it could be more fat/protein/carbs, that would depend on your preference and overall diet and needs and remember, to build muscle is a slow process.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-01-2013 at 06:36 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    By looking at your pictures you do have some subcutaneous fat in your midsection, but you also seem to have some loose skin; and by looking at your legs, arms, face and clavicles, you are skinny, and lack proper muscle mass overall. In my opinion, and others should share theirs, I'd say a slow bulk with a good workout program, concentrating on heavy barbell exercises: deadlifts, squats, bench press, presses, barbell rows, etc and, very important, progressive overload. Because, I think, if you keep on losing more weight, you'll end up looking skinny fat.
    ^This

Progressive overload means simply to increase the weight or reps/sets of an exercise to induce stress --> to estimulate muscle hypertrophy; every workout or every week you should be able to increase your lifts with a proper diet and routine. Skinny fat is to look skinny, with very little muscle mass and have, that would depend on the individual, a certain amount of fat. A slow bulk would be to eat about 15-20% above your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure); it could be more fat/protein/carbs, that would depend on your preference and overall diet and needs and remember, to build muscle is a slow process.
    ^ This too.

You need to lift and you need to lift more each time. You are not fat, you just have fat where there ought to be muscle. Lifting heavy should take care of the love handles. More carbs, less fat and probably more protein, too. 2 pieces of meat the size of your palm minus the fingers at every meal plus veggies and potatoes. Increase portions only if you can't lift more weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    You should lean out before you concern yourself with bulking up.

I have no idea why people are telling you to eat more when you have weight to lose to meet your goals. Don't.
    ad astra per aspera

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    No, no, - lifting heavy will not take care of lovehandles, you need a calorie deficit, thats what really counts here! 3000 kcal per day may be too high for you, so start by redusing to 2500 kcal and see what happens, proteins seem to be a bit high and carbs a bit low, but it also depends on how you feel, so if you have enough energy to fuel your workouts you can do the same, if not up the carbs a little and reduse proteins/fat...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    As far as fat loss is concerned, the worst advice I ever got and continue to hear is "eat more". Every time I take this advice, I put on fat. I have generally found the calorie calculators to be roughly correct as far as what is needed calorically to lose fat for my age, height and weight. Adjusting it accordingly has produced the results I am looking for.

With regard to strength and muscle, my experience has been that it more depends on effort in the gym than food intake. A person can lose fat, eat a fairly low calorie level, and gain strength and muscle mass at the same time. Of course, if you want to get big, really big, then you must eat big. However, if you want to be lean and strong, then you don't have to eat big to accomplish that. Hunter gatherers that still populate small areas of our planet eat at a far lower level of calories, and yet are ripped beyond what most of us will ever achieve. They are not carb loading, taking supplements or worrying about macros in the least. They just eat whatever they can find.

Also, about your face and aging, a plumped up face due to being overweight spreads out the wrinkles, which then reveal themselves when you lose the fat. That's just how it is. Eat healthy foods, stay fit, and get some regular healthy outdoor sunlight and you will look better than most people your age or even 10 years younger!

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    As far as fat loss is concerned, the worst advice I ever got and continue to hear is "eat more". Every time I take this advice, I put on fat. I have generally found the calorie calculators to be roughly correct as far as what is needed calorically to lose fat for my age, height and weight. Adjusting it accordingly has produced the results I am looking for.

With regard to strength and muscle, my experience has been that it more depends on effort in the gym than food intake. A person can lose fat, eat a fairly low calorie level, and gain strength and muscle mass at the same time. Of course, if you want to get big, really big, then you must eat big. However, if you want to be lean and strong, then you don't have to eat big to accomplish that. Hunter gatherers that still populate small areas of our planet eat at a far lower level of calories, and yet are ripped beyond what most of us will ever achieve. They are not carb loading, taking supplements or worrying about macros in the least. They just eat whatever they can find.

Also, about your face and aging, a plumped up face due to being overweight spreads out the wrinkles, which then reveal themselves when you lose the fat. That's just how it is. Eat healthy foods, stay fit, and get some regular healthy outdoor sunlight and you will look better than most people your age or even 10 years younger!
    I would go with this advice big time ^^^^^

Its deffo easier to start off with getting lean first, then experiment with building muscle. It will depend on your body type too.

Consider I'm 48 this year so have abandoned the idea of large muscle mass. heavy weight training will only lead me to injury and aches and pains I rather live without. I also find it hard to consume enough food to gain lots of muscle, it also leads to a large food bill. I rather be lean and cut with an intake of health 2000 to 2500 cals a day and still be able to touch my toes etc.
    Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-01-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Zach is offline Banned
    I think you are a perfect candidate for a leangains approach (metabolic surge sounds like a leangains ripoff). Basically its a 16/8 fast where 3/4th or more of your calories are post workout. High carb/lowfat on workout days, low cwrb/high fat on off days. Google leangains for plenty of info.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Same goes for me Richard. I am 42 years old now, and the last thing I need is to blow out my back or knees. Less is more these days. I still do heavy weights such as deadlifts, squats and presses, but space them out dramatically rather than doing them 3 times per week. Of course, genetics plays a role, so some people can workout more frequently and still have great gains and little to no overtraining.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Same goes for me Richard. I am 42 years old now, and the last thing I need is to blow out my back or knees. Less is more these days. I still do heavy weights such as deadlifts, squats and presses, but space them out dramatically rather than doing them 3 times per week. Of course, genetics plays a role, so some people can workout more frequently and still have great gains and little to no overtraining.
    That sounds cool. I'm realy into the stuff this dude does now. Al is only 160lbs but way stronger than I will ever be. It also seems to fit in well with the primal way of life. Body building as such seems almost unnatural really. Why build size you don't really need? I guess it depends on why people do what they do.
    Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out!
    Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast