Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food budget page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Food budget

Shop Now
    Just curious as to what everyones food budget is. I probably spend too much, but I spend way less in other areas, and I think good food is important.
    Ours is $800 every 2 weeks. Half of that is on meat.
    Works out to be $100 per person per week, which I guess is not awful. But I know it could be done on much less, so wondering what yours is, and do you go organic always?

I don't buy organic everything, and occasionally lately ive been buying produce at the supermarket which I don't normally do, but its a convenience to do so at the moment.

Our meat is from one butcher who uses no hormones, and all his meat is organic free ranging, same with the egg chickens.
    I mostly buy fruit and veg from a small local farm with seasonal stuff, not certified organic, but he says he only uses pesticides on the broccoli.
    Supermarket is generally for toilet paper, tuna, spices and olive oil.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    800!? EIGHT-HUNDRED DORRARS!?[

What. the. fuck.

My food bill averages out to 4.54 a day... So... $63.56 every 2 weeks...
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    $60-$100 range here too ... a fortnight
    I don't even know how one person could eat $100 worth of home-prepared food a week.

and you have only you to feed?
    The meat actually does last more than 2 weeks at times, but depends on what I buy exactly, but yeah I guess it is a lot. The meat is actually very similar to supermarket prices, as there is no middleman. We buy a fair bit of lamb which is fairly expensive.
    And that really is just meat and fresh produce, very little else is purchased.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I spend easily $200.00 per week for myself and my husband. This does not include all the meat that we purchase. I would spend more on the weeks that we are entertaining.

Groceries include:
    veg and fruit
    meats
    dairy
    some cleaning supplies and Toilet paper/paper towels, laundry soaps.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

oh and the meat includes our pet food too, but that is probably a very small portion of that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    We spend about $100 a week for the two of us, which includes 8 cats.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Well you said it worked out $100/week per person, so mine is $60-$100/fortnight per person. I live with my partner though so that's an estimate. We tend to spend $150/fortnight for the both of us usually, but he eats a lot of his lunches at work.

Lamb is very expensive though... that would do it

I am due to go out to the butcher again soon, so will break it down but yes lamb is pretty expensive, even in the supermarket here.
    And we like to have shoulder roasts, and chops, cutlets, and also he mades lamb meatballs, with just herbs and spices and the meat. My sons love these cold for lunches. Cold sausages are a fav too. He makes a huge range of sausages with different meats and no preservatives. These are also a fav for my oldest for school lunches, even cold. I think compared to the supermarket here the sausages may be more. I think $9 per kg, where supermarket you can get preservative filled sausages for $5 per kg maybe?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's just me...

Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast