Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Food budget page 6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    we spend between $100-$150 a week. that me and my wife and 2 large dogs. all from local farms or organic and whatnot from wegmans
    Is that when you don't have venison in the freezer?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I easily spend $1600-2000/mo for three adults, not including restaurants if we eat out. Not all organic, and a lot of it is bulk items on amazon, e.g., 10 bags of dairy-free dark chocolate chips, nutritional yeast, etc. Also, that includes supplements.

I shop at several local stores, but an example of the "natural" store haul might look like this:

Organic fruit, 10-15 lbs: bananas, oranges, cherries, melons, pineapple
    10 lbs organic carrots
    Organic vegetables that look appealing: kale, lettuce, tomatoes
    Japanese sweet potatoes
    Blue potatoes
    2-3 lbs of raw milk cheese
    2lbs grass-fed beef burgers
    2-3 lbs other assorted hormone-free cheeses
    Goat milk
    Sour cream that tastes like marscapone
    Pastured Heavy cream
    Kerrygold butter - 2-3 lbs
    2-3 dozen pastured eggs
    Various chocolate bars
    Supplements
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-01-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Is that when you don't have venison in the freezer?
    yes and no. haha... i mean, we try to stay under $150 no matter what. and when the freezer s stocked, we eat venison 2-3 days per week, so that helps out a lot and we end up on the low end of the budget. when the venison is gone, we tend to come closer to the upper end of the budget. speaking of that, since i only got one deer this year, i only have 1 package of venison left in the freezer. it's basically 3-4lbs of cubed up sort of scrap cuts, so i'm thinking of doing some chili. probably soon. so free up a weekend day and come up
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    You just reminded me I need to use up the last package of wild turkey from last year for some chili verde since season is about to open again...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I spend about $800 - 900 a month for 2 adults. That's just for the home prepared meals. The other person often eats lunch out, and both or us go out to dinner sometimes.
    I, however could do on a smaller budget if I really had to.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    yes and no. haha... i mean, we try to stay under $150 no matter what. and when the freezer s stocked, we eat venison 2-3 days per week, so that helps out a lot and we end up on the low end of the budget. when the venison is gone, we tend to come closer to the upper end of the budget. speaking of that, since i only got one deer this year, i only have 1 package of venison left in the freezer. it's basically 3-4lbs of cubed up sort of scrap cuts, so i'm thinking of doing some chili. probably soon. so free up a weekend day and come up
    Ok. Can I bring a bunch of Primal white russians? I'll infuse some vodka with good coffee beans, toss in a pinch of stevia, and bring a few cartons of heavy cream. Would the wife drink those?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I look at any money I spend outside of ordering my 1/2 a cow is just frivolous.

Doesn't mean I don't do it.... but I do have my priorities

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Derp - you need to find yourself a nice little kiwi girl ..................
    Not many here in California
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Ok. Can I bring a bunch of Primal white russians? I'll infuse some vodka with good coffee beans, toss in a pinch of stevia, and bring a few cartons of heavy cream. Would the wife drink those?
    Proper Kahlua takes about a month to make... vodka, dark rum, natural dried cane sugar (I haven't tried to sub this out), good beans, some cocoa nibs, a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick, a bit of orange peel...
    It's not just coffee flavored vodka!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Proper Kahlua takes about a month to make... vodka, dark rum, natural dried cane sugar (I haven't tried to sub this out), good beans, some cocoa nibs, a vanilla bean, a cinnamon stick, a bit of orange peel...
    It's not just coffee flavored vodka!
    Granted. And a norcal margarita isn't really a margarita, but it can scratch that itch. I'm reluctant to ingest anything that doesn't list the ingredients on the label. Plus it's probably way sweeter than I could handle anymore.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast