Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Food budget page 4

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Derp - you need to find yourself a nice little kiwi girl ..................
    Yep cos us kiwis are so damn awesome right?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Ayla - I have to be honest - I have no idea how much I spend on food each week - however In my unmeasurable way I reckon that my food bill has severely lessened since going Primal. I do the outside isles at the supermarket, with a very occassional trip instore !!!!!! to get a pkt of chocy bickies or some such for DH. He has cut down on ice cream, sauces and bread - I should actually work it out.....it would be an interesting exersize..........
    .....one day I might !!!!!..........
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yep cos us kiwis are so damn awesome right?
    abso - efffing - lutely

...small steps....

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    ooh yes that is a great idea. I think my family would love that.
    What do you use in your mince? I have used this Caveman Food: Taco Salad and Homemade Taco Seasoning before and just served it on lettuce, with salsa and guacamole, and they loved it.
    Ha, now I just feel like I'm showing off. :P

Paleo Nachos | MyFitnessPal.com

^How I prepare my nachos. With offal, you need a decent meat grinder to crush it all together - a hand-held whiz stick can do the trick, but is a real pain to clean. Adding veggies gives a ridiculous amount of bulk to the meal; IMO, mushrooms are the best.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    My mom gives me 390 ($510) a month. So I can spend 13 a day. Holland is expensive so all I eat is eggs, ground beef, left over organs and milk. But it's all grassfed and everything
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    My mom gives me €390 ($510) a month. So I can spend €13 a day. Holland is expensive so all I eat is eggs, ground beef, left over organs and milk. But it's all grassfed and everything
    actually Gadsie if Holland is anything like Denmark - wow.
    We were there in 2008 and we couldn't believe the prices of food etc.... My DH wanted to buy meat for an evening meal - and we nearly had to mortgage the house to do so !!!!!!

...small steps....

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    G you should work it out one day just for fun.
    We only have a budget, cos I am trying to be a good house wife haha Na more so I can see where it goes, as I used to spend a lot of money on nothing really. But now I don't.
    Yes when I go to the supermarket its just the outside, except for tuna and olive oil, and toilet paper. Oh and spices.
    Since school started ive been there for fruit/veg almost every day. But will go back to only the farm, its not that much further down the road.

Angrykiwi, I can get my butcher to grind up the offal with the minced beef which is helpful. Will check out your recipe later.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    actually Gadsie if Holland is anything like Denmark - wow.
    We were there in 2008 and we couldn't believe the prices of food etc.... My DH wanted to buy meat for an evening meal - and we nearly had to mortgage the house to do so !!!!!!
    Well luckily there is a butcher who freezes in left over pieces of organs which I can get for €4 per pound. And I can get raw milk at a farm for €0,50 per liter. I do have to cycle longer than hour and back for it..
    Billie trips balls

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Wow that is a pretty expensive food bill. I spend about $50-60 a week but I could probably go a lot cheaper if I didn't buy imported blueberries, chocolate and manuka honey that costs $15 per 250g.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, you're fortunate to be able to feed your family such good quality food. It's easy to spend $100/person/week here also if you've switched to an uncompromising view of food. Our govt gives the poorest of us $200/month/person and they base it on factory farm/Walmart prices. Considering that since I switched from grocery store meat to GF/pastured meat, my meat prices have more than doubled, I don't think the amount you're spending is that out of line.

Eg. I often see CAFO t-bone steaks on sale for about $6/lb. I never see GF t-bones for less than $14/lb. Ground beef at Wallyworld is ~$4/lb (pink slime included for free!), but GF ground beef is $8/lb. In a pinch, I'll buy a couple of conventional tomatoes at the corner store for $1.09/lb, but organic tomatoes are on average about $3/lb. The smallest increase I've seen is on half and half - only a 33% increase going from factory to pastured. Butter is about $3/lb factory; pastured is about $5/lb. Store bought sardines in a can might be as low as $1.50 a can, but if you want sustainably fished and bpa-free cans, that goes up to $2.67/can.

As a note, people who have the space and access to buying half and quarter cows/other animals spend much less for GF meat than I do. Also, food prices can vary somewhat in different locations of the US. Even national chains like Costco (a pretty terrific store) and Whole Foods (a mostly good store) can vary a lot in both type of product, price, and sales depending on their location.

All of that rambling aside, I don't know what I spend in a month because I often buy in bulk. Not as much as I'd like because I don't have the space, but 20-30 lbs at a time of one meat or fish when I can save money by doing so. Some of it is offset by the fact that I don't eat many $8 po'boys anymore nor do I eat pizza ever (that's $100/month savings right there). But just guessing, I'm pretty sure I spend $75-100/wk on food for myself. And that's a whole lot more than I was spending when I just threw packs of sale meat into my cart at Walmart.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast