Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight loss without exercise? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

weight loss without exercise?

Primal Fuel
    Ive more or less decided because of my age (45) and size 6' around 330 pounds I am putting off joining anything like Crossfit until I lose at least 80 to 90 pounds. Can I do this just by changing my diet or do I need to add some exercise?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can do this. Even people who are unable to exercise at all due to physical limitations can lose weight.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yes totally possible.
    Could you do some walking each day just for the fresh air if nothing else?
    Def don't need CF right now, you can save that for much later when you are ready.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Changing your diet is THE most important to losing weight off and keeping it off, so yes, you can do it that way.
    But CrossFit is a bit of an extreme there! You don't have to do CrossFit for it to count as exercise... move more, walk, swim, any activity will help. Gradually get your cardio up so that you can increase your activity and get fitter. If you only lose weight, you're still going to be unfit and have trouble doing a proper workout.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just do some walking, stretching and general movement, you are already carrying excess weight so any movement you do is effectively weight training, I'm pretty sure you will be surprised at how it will move when you improve your diet.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some years ago, at my worst weight ever, I would only walk as exercise. But it worked to increase my stamina and self confidence. I wouldn't even ride a bicycle because I was so self-conscious that I figured I looked like a beach ball with a bike sticking out of my ass. So I walked, and I have to tell you that one of my mantras is that if you can walk, you can walk yourself back to health. My first walk was 15 minutes. Within four months, I was walking 90 minutes five times per week. I was about 10 years older than you, so (in my best cheerleader voice), Walk baby, walk!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Your body composition is 80% the result of diet and 20% exercise. Totally doable to lose weight with diet alone, particularly at your size.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Darz is offline Senior Member
    True that diet is extremely important when trying to lose weight, however, I think lifting weights is as important; in order to preserve, or maybe in your specific case, gain some lean mass along the process.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It's important to preserve muscle and for overall health and stress relief. That said, there are alternatives to Cross Fit. Walk and do the Primal Blueprint body weight exercises. Move.

If you are totally out of shape, probably going to Cross Fit will be frustrating. You don't want to burn out due to injury from pushing too hard or get frustrated because you can't get the exercises right. Starting out, you can get a good burn from doing squats, planks and push ups on your own.

My friend lost a ton of weight with zero exercise and frankly he looks like hell- like a deflated jellyfish.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Some years ago, at my worst weight ever, I would only walk as exercise. But it worked to increase my stamina and self confidence. I wouldn't even ride a bicycle because I was so self-conscious that I figured I looked like a beach ball with a bike sticking out of my ass. So I walked, and I have to tell you that one of my mantras is that if you can walk, you can walk yourself back to health. My first walk was 15 minutes. Within four months, I was walking 90 minutes five times per week. I was about 10 years older than you, so (in my best cheerleader voice), Walk baby, walk!
    Basically I did the same thing when I was at my all-time heaviest and lost 30 pounds with no dietary restriction but an IF eating window of 6 hours a day, which I did to control night time heartburn. I was walking to get in shape to walk for transportation, as I had recently given up car ownership. Since I wasn't doing it to lose weight I eventually managed to start eating more, got lax on the eating window, and put half the weight back on again. Gee, if I'd had half a clue what was happening I could have reached my goal and got in shape back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast