Thread: Lucuma and Mesquite powder? page

KatlynDurocher is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Lucuma and Mesquite powder?

I have recently been noticing a lot of people using Lucuma and Mesquite powder for an alternative sweetener to honey or maple syrup in their recipes . I have never heard of them until recently and was wanting to learn more about them. Are they paleo friendly alternative sweeteners? From what i understand Lucuma is from a fruit and Mesquite is from the pod of the plant. Has any one tried these two before, what were your thoughts on them?

Thank you !

Passionate Paleo

Eliganics is offline Junior Member
    Hi Katlyn Durocher,

I use a lot of Mesquite and Lucuma powder in my recipes.
    First of all, Mesquite powder is low in sugar but has a natural sweet exotic flavour. It also contains many nutritious properties including, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc, amino acids and dietary fibre.
    Then, Lucuma powder is also rich in antioxidants and has many beneficial properties including, high levels of carotene, fibre, vitamins, minerals vitamin B3, and other B vitamins. It is well known for its sweet maple flavour and low sugar content.

To sum up, I use these both fruits in many dishes and foods such as cakes, ice creams, drinks, shakes, baked goods and many others.

As for me, I buy all my products there: Maretai Organics
    They offer high-quality products at the best price!

I hope to have answered you question!

Bye!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello,
    I think that high quality honey and maple syrup are really nice. If you use them only once in a while, why are you looking for other sweeteners unless you cannot tolerate these dense sugars ? If you want something which has 0 GI, 0 cal, and close to sucrose sweetening power, you can check this product: About Sukrin granulated - Sukrin Ltd or their other products. I have some at home, not used often but if a recipe calls for too much sugar, I use this stuff instead (or a mix).

nosrek is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I was wondering about how mesquite powder is made, considering the fact that it's a leguminous plant. Does anyone know if the beans pods are cooked to remove the harmful proteins?

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by nosrek View Post
    Hi, I was wondering about how mesquite powder is made, considering the fact that it's a leguminous plant. Does anyone know if the beans pods are cooked to remove the harmful proteins?
    See the thread I just started on a related topic (Mesquite = legume thread). In short, I'm not aware of harmful proteins in the pods, and the beans are normally separated from the pod itself and not ground up as part of the flour.

When I eat mesquite directly off the tree I simply spit the beans out.