Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lifting heavy and fat loss page 5

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The problem is "eating right" and "lifting weights" are a bit too general.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    The weight loss part is fine at the moment, I have got my eating down, and the scale is moving.
    I used to do crossfit, and will again eventually, but not at this weight as I know I will end up getting injured again.

I think for now ill leave the lifting, but try to do some body weight stuff at home. I did plan on getting kettlebells so now is prob a good time to do that too.

I am not worried about lose skin, as I do plan on getting surgery if need be, I am not bothered by that.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    http://http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/28/strength-training-101/. Good article with charts explaining some of what happens with low rep heavy weight vs higher rep moderate weight. Your measurements will change faster than the scale. It will also build you up to prevent injury before getting into met con or endurance work.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    unfortunately many women on this forum declare and tell others: "I am getting so huge from my 100 lb deadlifts I am an absolute ogre I put on so much muscle that I have to stop even though I'm still obese/overweight/carrying around a 40 lbs weight vest it's the huge muscles I am growing that are making me too large" syndrome. And then they are told by forum members (who bemoan their own ability to attain their idealized body composition) they should just eat more food.
    Please point out these women because I have not seen this phenomenon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Please point out these women because I have not seen this phenomenon.
    I would like to see this too. Please share a few of these posts.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I know 20 years ago when I was powerlifting and speedskating I had a bulky appearance, but that was a combination of muscle with a thick layer of fat on it.

Padz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by benedictbrent View Post
    Many people start lifting weights because they have been told that muscle burns more calories than fat. While this is true, current research shows that the difference is not as great as once thought. If you are trying to lose weight quickly, a weight lifting routine won't make a lot of difference.
    Along with this though trying to lose weight quickly isn't healthy in the first place.

Doing weight sessions with multi limb movements (dead lift, squat, clean & press, pull ups, dips) when combined with a sufficient diet will cause muscle growth. More muscle will give you a leaner looking body but won't necessarily cause weight loss. Over time you will see a definite change for the better in your body where it will fill out in to the shape your body genetically wants to be.

Try not to focus on your actual weight, rather focus on lean muscle and lower body fat.

Personally I do an intense weight lifting session 3 times a week normally with maybe 2 circuit training type sessions. The only "cardio" I do is walking or every now and then a run for an event or something.

Hope this helps

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I do MRT with heavy weights, 3 times a week and MCT once or twice a week. Since I started about 7 months ago I've lost a little over a stone in weight, but have built muscle and lost a whole load of fat...so I look like I've lost way more than a stone - presumably because I have lost a stone of almost all fat.

It's hard to take focus off the scale, but I'm learning slowly. I think the lifting weights thing is to do with much more than weightloss - I feel stronger, fitter, healthier and more confident since I started and it is these things that help keep you motivated and help to get the focus off of 'weightloss'.

Lifting has also completely redefined my goals too. I used to have a goal weight - which was previously the lowest weight I had achieved as an adult, however I am now realising that I am currently the same size as I was when I was last that goal weight, however I am at this moment around a 16lbs heavier than I was. I also know that I look better now than I did then too. I still have a fairly hefty chunk of fat to lose, but as I'm also building muscle I have absolutely no idea what a new goal weight might be.

So...I think you can definitely lose fat and build muscle at the same time, and I reckon that the benefits will be beyond weightloss, but you have to let go of the attachment to the scales. If you're building muscle and losing fat then the number drops will be lower than if you were just dropping fat (although they shouldn't be substantially so).

jkarlen is offline Junior Member
    This is topic that's been heavily on my mind the past few days so I'm glad to see there's such an active discussion underway.

I'm currently 364lbs. I've lost 25-30lbs over the past few months through eating primally and more conventional workouts - targeted weight lifting (leg day, bicep/back day, triceps/chest/shoulder day) and varied cardio but I'm drawn to primal fitness and crossfit and those things make a lot of sense to me for most people. My concern is that my weight loss requirement is so substantial that I'm not sure I can be one of those people who don't care about the scale and just focus on conditioning. Ultimately I do need to create caloric deficit over a long period of time to shed 130-150lbs. I can't wrap my head around how the 2 explosive weight workouts and a sprint session per week Mark details in the book get me there.

I'm looking for as much guidance as available.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    well this week ive done a bit of kb stuff, enough to be sore. And sure enough I stayed the same this week, well 200g down, which hardly counts. So I think my theory is right. A bit frustrating as I know i need to do some decent exercise.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast