Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lifting heavy and fat loss page 4

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find that for the first 2-4 weeks, the scales remain stagnant when I'm lifting. But if I continue lifting and eating properly, then the scale moves downward. During those first weeks I do see movement in my clothing fit. This cycle continues and I drop weight for a couple weeks then stay stagnant for a couple. This also happens to coincide with TOM. I'm only losing ~2lbs/month, but I no longer have a ton to lose either (into what I perceive to be last 20lbs).

Everyone's experience is different. You have to find what works to keep your stress level lowest.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Its better to look at this long term. Get the weight loss rolling first and introduce lifting slowly. Your body shape is going to change way more by what you eat than what you lift. Doing both can lead to confusion and frustration.

Personally I would pay more attention to the diet side of things first and just do the simple stuff mark advises in the book, ie lift heavy things, ie you, press ups, plank, body squats, walk and sprint. This REALLY WORKS! when you get to a weight your happy with then the world is your own to lift all you like..just get rid of the fat first. Its more rewarding and healthy from the start.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Strength training really has slowed my reaching my weight goal. In fact, it has taken so long that the goalposts have moved, due to extra muscle I have gained. But I picture myself arriving at the final goal: lean and strong - at the same time I would have otherwise.

If I had lost all the weight through focusing on my intake, I would probably have lost 75 pounds by the end of December. My goal is now probably 10 pounds higher than that. If I had waited to get exercise I would be way behind on my strength. There is no perfect way to have it all at the same time.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Its better to look at this long term. Get the weight loss rolling first and introduce lifting slowly. Your body shape is going to change way more by what you eat than what you lift. Doing both can lead to confusion and frustration.
    For the obese and fat, definitely. For those who are lean - Men 10-14% body fat or women around 20% body fat, it's a completely different story. But what is nonsensical is for obese or fat people to concern themselves with body composition when they still have multiple stones to lose.
    ad astra per aspera

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    For the obese and fat, definitely. For those who are lean - Men 10-14% body fat or women around 20% body fat, it's a completely different story. But what is nonsensical is for obese or fat people to concern themselves with body composition when they still have multiple stones to lose.
    I can't agree more, the OP has lots of weight to lose. As ever people get bogged down with information overload, a great deal of it coming from people on here at different levels of weight size and shape etc.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

little vase is online now Senior Member
    But don't you think that with 100+ to lose, strength training from the beginning will help immensely with the inevitable loose/saggy skin? It's an extra factor to consider. I wonder if it's better to lose more slowly so the skin has a chance to recover, and have the ST go hand in hand with the WOE from the very beginning. Thoughts?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea about sagging skin. But honestly I would be more concerned with getting the 100 lb weight vest off of my body as soon as possible as my number one priority. I think if I lost 100+ lbs quickly and had the "problem" of sagging skin to deal with (as opposed to a 100lb. weight vest on at all times) I would be so overjoyed that I would have no problem buying elective cosmetic surgery for a tummy tuck/face lift etc. That would be the shortest path to a healthy weight and non saggy skin.

However I will say to anyone concerned with "as fast as possible" "ASAP" "Most efficient" etc way to lose lots of weight... Who are you kidding? It took you years of bad decisions, apathy in regards to your health and diet and *NOW* you must lose everything as quickly as possible? Don't get ahead of yourself - do the right things and the adaptation will come. Overthinking, second guessing common sense will just slow you down. Eat less, exercise more.

And yes of course weightlifting is effective for losing weight and growing stronger
    unfortunately many women on this forum declare and tell others: "I am getting so huge from my 100 lb deadlifts I am an absolute ogre I put on so much muscle that I have to stop even though I'm still obese/overweight/carrying around a 40 lbs weight vest it's the huge muscles I am growing that are making me too large" syndrome. And then they are told by forum members (who bemoan their own ability to attain their idealized body composition) they should just eat more food.

it is enough to make this jungle cat go crazy. -_-
    ad astra per aspera

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    But don't you think that with 100+ to lose, strength training from the beginning will help immensely with the inevitable loose/saggy skin? It's an extra factor to consider. I wonder if it's better to lose more slowly so the skin has a chance to recover, and have the ST go hand in hand with the WOE from the very beginning. Thoughts?
    I don't think so at all. Any ethical plastic surgeon will tell potential clients that they need to wait a full year after weight loss is complete before having nips and tucks. If you lose weight very slowly you might not notice the looseness that tightens up. But I think in the end your skin will tighten up the same amount whether you lost the weight in 6 months or 5 years.

By what mechanism do you imagine strength training working to tighten up skin? I have developed impressive arm and shoulder muscles, but I still have saggage under my arms.

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    Hi ayla,

I'm no expert but I've been primal for almost 2 years now and have been very successful with achieving my fitness goals. In my opinion if you are eating primal/paleo and doing starting strength you should see very good results in leaning your body out. One thing that will really ramp up your results is incorporating high intensity workouts, or metcons, to your workout routine. They can be body weight or with added free weights. Just like Mark discusses they should be short (no more then 15-20 minutes) maximum effort with little or no rest in between sets. You need to really listen to your body with these guys. If it's telling you to back off, especially at the begining, listen to it. I'm not saying that these are for everybody but a good place for ideas are the simpler crossfit girl workouts.

Cindy
    5 Pull Ups (modified if needed)
    10 Push Ups
    15 Squats
    As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 20 Minutes

Helen
    3 Rounds For Time
    Run 400m
    21 Kettle Bell Swings
    12 Pull Ups

Kettle bells are also great and there are tons of resources online about good workouts. In my experience, if you are eating clean, doing a couple days of strength work, a couple metcons, sprinting/playing all in a week you're going to feel great and see results.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    There's too much overthinking going on here. If you want to get strong and in shape, eat right and lift weights. Doesn't really matter how much you have to lose.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast