Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting heavy and fat loss page 3

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I just now got finished reading this. Written by a woman, a very good read and the beginning of a series.
    Strength Training 101 | Nerd Fitness
    I need to lose weight too and notice that my weight loss has totally stalled since I started lifting heavy. Deadlifts and squats. It IS very frustrating. And yet all of my clothes are hanging off of me now, and I haven't lost a pound in weeks. I know it's easy to say focus less on the scale but if you need to lose 100 lbs, at some point you have to start seeing a loss of pounds to be happy. I totally get it.
    I got that email this morning, have not read the link yet, but will.
    Yes it is frustrating, especially now its moving at a good rate finally.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    You can definitely do strength training and lose weight at the same time.
    You strength progress might be hampered a bit by the weightloss, but it should still work.

I was getting stronger most every week, while losing weight with primal and heavy lifting. There were some strength plateaus that I think wouldn't have been there if I was eating in a surplus, but you just gotta decide what is more important. Increased strength or lowered fat? I'd still recommend doing the weight lifting, no matter what your focus is, but adjust your food accordingly.

I have also noticed that I gain a few pounds whenever I have been inactive and then start working out. I think it's water weight.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed the scale goes up after the heavy lifting days, and then back down. My scale weight hasn't moved much, but measurements have decreased, which is encouraging.

I'd obviously like the scale weight to go down too, since in the end I still have more fat to lose. But I wouldn't drop lifting for strictly cardio.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    You strength progress might be hampered a bit by the weightloss, but it should still work.
    For me it's the other way around. My weightloss is being slowed by the strength workouts.

I just weighed myself. I lost 11 whole ounces! In the entire month of February! I know that all of my clothes are loser on me or not fitting at all anymore, and I can see my body recomping. But I have a lot of weight to lose. And knowing that I didn't even lose one pound? Ugh. At some point the scale HAS to start moving!! I am really feeling down right now. I wish I hadn't looked. I was weighing every day, then once a week, and I finally changed to once a month, thinking I would have to see some progress. But noooooooooooooo.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    If you are lifting heavy and gaining weight, I can't imagine you are gaining fat. You may retain water or gain muscle. If you lift heavy and then go eat more than you would otherwise, you may gain fat. Or if lifting heavy replaces fat burning exercise you may gain fat.

I can't see how anything beyond eating too many calories will create fat accumulation (I know there are many things that can impede fat loss though).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

I think there's definitely a relationship there, that can go both ways.
    I haven't lost weight since August (may have even gained a bit lately, as I've upped the carbs), but I've lost fat. My strength is also moving forward. But I feel that if I make a bigger effort to lose weight, my strength will suffer, and if I eat a lot more to support my strength, then I will gain too much fat along with it.
    The way it's going right now is slow and steady fatloss and slow and steady strength increase.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Jordan Feigenbaum on the Starting Strength forum has his own Nutrition subforum. He deviates pretty far from the whole GOMAD stuff that Starting Strength emphasizes, at least for older people and people prone to overweight. He's got a lot of valuable information. You could just look through his forum and maybe find some answers he gives to overweight people and to women. I think he would tell you that you CAN lose weight and gain strength, just that strength gains will be slower. Nothing wrong with slower. He usually recommends something close to paleo for overweight people, with low carb on off days, more carbs on the workout days. Nothing out of the ordinary, really. I suppose you could also try the "rapid fat loss" thing, but I think that sounds horrible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    If you are 100 lbs overweight - you can have rapid fat loss by just focusing on getting your diet under control. Ketosis is your friend; don't even think about "which exercise is best do I want to be strong or slim" etc etc. You are waaaaaaaaay over thinking it. *ANYTHING* in terms of exercise or weight lifting that you do as someone 100 lbs overweight will be effectively helping you reach your goal. What is *not* helping you reach your goal is ruminating on an online message forum to the point of paralysis what is best method to be both lean and strong. The time would be much better spent doing burpees or running instead (and no you aren't at the risk of chronic cardio). Cart way before the horse. Lose 100 lbs and then start that conversation. You have all the information you need to lose 100 lbs - don't overthink it, just go do it.
    ad astra per aspera

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    If you are 100 lbs overweight - you can have rapid fat loss by just focusing on getting your diet under control. Ketosis is your friend; don't even think about "which exercise is best do I want to be strong or slim" etc etc. You are waaaaaaaaay over thinking it. *ANYTHING* in terms of exercise or weight lifting that you do as someone 100 lbs overweight will be effectively helping you reach your goal. What is *not* helping you reach your goal is ruminating on an online message forum to the point of paralysis what is best method to be both lean and strong. The time would be much better spent doing burpees or running instead (and no you aren't at the risk of chronic cardio). Cart way before the horse. Lose 100 lbs and then start that conversation. You have all the information you need to lose 100 lbs - don't overthink it, just go do it.
    You're right. I lost 14 lbs in January and I was in ketosis. I lost zero pounds in February and I wasn't in ketosis. Point taken. I know I'm not overeating (probably about 1500 cal a day) and I'm also lifting , bike riding, and doing a couch to 10k so getting the exercising part in. Thanks for the reminder.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast