Thread: High carb, low carb cycle? page

That One Guy is offline Junior Member

High carb, low carb cycle?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone have any experience with, eating carbs only on workout day? I am not interested in a ketogenic diet, but don't mind eating low carb overall. I am currently playing with eating 100-150 carbs on my strength and sprint days. On non-training days I am playing with eating 0-20 carbs. I wanted to also expand into eating near my resting BMR on non-workout days and eating much more on workout days. I recall reading, under eating will just bring your bmr down to match food intake. The whole idea is keep the body guessing and use carbs in a smart way. Anyone have any thoughts on any of this, or this just plain nonsense?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals? If you are looking to get super ripped or you are on a stubborn plateau, some of these exotic methods can help, right? If you still have 20 pounds of fat to lose and things are steady as she goes, then maybe save the carb cycling for those last stubborn pounds? I'm no bodybuilder, just a long time reader of fitness forums...

I think I am at homeostatis. Pre primal, I ate whole foods with tons of carbs (fruits, quinoa, brown rice) I was able to get down to 200 and became stuck. Later I tried ADF (alternate day fasting) 3-4 times a week and got stuck at 200. Now on primal lower carb, I am stuck at 200. I looked at a calculator based on my body size, my ideal weight is 190-208, but I want to get to the lower end. This is just an attempt to keep the body guessing.

hsvendblad is offline Junior Member
    I am currently cycling my carbs and also timing my carb intake around my workouts. On non-workout days (there aren't many of these for me) I typically keep my carbs under 30g. On heavy workout days (highly glycolitic) I will go VLC prior to working out, and after my workout (usually PM) add a few tablespoons of Cacao to a PWO protein shake or eat 200-300 grams of sweet potatoes/yams. Dinner will include moderate carbs from veggies. Additionally, mid-week (regardless of workout) I will have up to 150 grams of carbs (berries, sweet potatoes, vegetables, quinoa) on Saturday or Sunday I will go up to 280 grams (bananas, yams, berries, raw milk). This has worked well for me. My recovery and cardio/metcon performance have improved, my strength has increased, my weight is stable (which is what I want), but my body comp has improved. Best of all having some variety in my diet has been a nice change from obsessing over keeping my carbs low all the time. Note that my workouts, both in intensity and frequency are beyond the PB guidelines so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by hsvendblad View Post
    I am currently cycling my carbs and also timing my carb intake around my workouts. On non-workout days (there aren't many of these for me) I typically keep my carbs under 30g. On heavy workout days (highly glycolitic) I will go VLC prior to working out, and after my workout (usually PM) add a few tablespoons of Cacao to a PWO protein shake or eat 200-300 grams of sweet potatoes/yams. Dinner will include moderate carbs from veggies. Additionally, mid-week (regardless of workout) I will have up to 150 grams of carbs (berries, sweet potatoes, vegetables, quinoa) on Saturday or Sunday I will go up to 280 grams (bananas, yams, berries, raw milk). This has worked well for me. My recovery and cardio/metcon performance have improved, my strength has increased, my weight is stable (which is what I want), but my body comp has improved. Best of all having some variety in my diet has been a nice change from obsessing over keeping my carbs low all the time. Note that my workouts, both in intensity and frequency are beyond the PB guidelines so YMMV.
    Yeah, I am much more aligned with PB exercise style. This is why I am only taking in max 150 carbs on workout days. Today for example, I didn't workout and I ate something like 3 carbs. Intensity calls upon glucose, so you might as well give it some easy carbs and keep the protein for repair.

hsvendblad is offline Junior Member
    150 grams seems high if you are trying to lose and aligned with PB exercise volume. Excluding that one day a week I never go above 150 grams. My carbs typically fall between 30-75g... This is with an average of 10 hours/week of high intensity training -- lift heavy things, cycling, running, swimming. Another thing to note is that I do two IFs a week which keeps my calories down under 2K on those days; on other days I can go as high as 3000. So I am also cycling my calorie intake. I've been tweaking this protocol for months and it works as I've improved the way I feel, look, and perform... I found when I was at 150grams or above that weight was creeping up.