Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you HAD to choose.... page

pickled herring is offline Junior Member

If you HAD to choose....

Shop Now
    ...would you coose between grass fed local beef, pastured local pork or free range chicken? I ask because I have been researching prices and it's not cheap, therefore I am thinking of switching out the one that makes most sense all around. I'm looking forward to your advice!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    I'd pick fish instead.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Beef

Timthetaco is online now Senior Member
    Beef. It seems to be the absolute lowest quality commercial meat in this country. I still mostly eat regular pork and chicken.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed local beef organs and Wild Fish.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Kangaroo!
    I rarely buy beef anymore because it is so hard to get good quality that isn't pricey, but roo is just a wonder meat for me. And by default it is organic, pastured and grass-fed and whatnot.

Paleobird Guest
    Ruminant meat (beef, lamb,goat, bison, venison etc.) will give you a better 03/06 balance than either pork or chicken. IF you are eating pork or chicken, going free range/pastured is better than factory farmed but still.

I stick with ruminants and seafood.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I go out to eat, I get the pork chops or a steak with a bone in it so I know there's no meat glue. At home, I eat the CAFO beef and chicken and get the spendy grass-fed beef, pastured pork and lamb whenever I can. I shop kinda random. Whatever looks good at the time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Paleobird. GF/finished beef and wild salmon are things I wouldn't give up unless I was living in a refrigerator box on the corner. Pork and chicken, even at their best don't compare.

That said... Grass fed butter is about $5/lb if you shop around. Shore up any factory meats with this. If you use olive oil for your fats, use either Kirkland organic, or California Olive Ranch unless you're positively absolutely sure your brand of olive oil is pure.

If budget is an issue, evaluate protein powders. I know a lot of folks will say that these are processed foods, and they are. But if you are on a budget, a protein powder that doesn't have any non-primal ingredients can be a lifesaver.

No matter what your bank account, if your "regular income" is less than $1100/month for a single person, check out EBT (foodstamps) - the extra money could help you upgrade your food.

My apologies to anyone who thinks my advice on foodstamps is promoting a welfare state. My personal ideology states, "The govt has taken from me for years. If I die having taken back one penny more than they took from me, I win."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I'd toss chicken out of the mix altogether. 99% of chickens are fed soy and corn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast