Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you HAD to choose.... page 2

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Going to agree with the beef. Grocery store chicken and pork are edible. Grocery store beef is NOT. I never buy it anymore because you might as well be throwing your money down the toilet. I only get the organic beef from the market now (can't afford grassfed).

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I'm going to have to diverge from the concensus a little bit here. Pork is the one item I absolutely don't eat CAFO/grocery store/restaurant versions of. It's kept in the worst conditions and is most susceptible to having its own fat profiles altered by its diet of the three.

So if you can eat lean beef from the grocery store, and buy pastured pork, and maybe compromise on organic chicken, even if it's still off the grocery store shelf, I think that's about the optimum mix of health:budget balancing.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    I don't like beef. My first choice would be pork, then - chicken.

pickled herring is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all you responses so far!

So the concencus is that there is no concesus

Sale shop wherever possible, stock up on the non-perishable essentials, and go with the highest quality meat of your choice that you can afford...

Yup. Wild caught fish in cans is cheap. Even the bpa-free ones go on sale from time to time. They last forever, so stock up.

Grass-fed beef organs are reasonably priced, if you have access to a local farm. You typically have to buy bulk from the online retailers. Not a bad idea if you have a freezer.

Sometimes there are good Australian grass-fed beef sales in one of the supermarkets around here. Might have to buy a whole tenderloin and slice it into steaks yourself before you freeze it, but grass-fed filet for $7/lb is a hard bargain to pass up.

Someone in another thread mentioned that Whole Foods has whole organic chickens on sale from time to time. I don't have one near me, but you might.

I still say don't eat grocery store pork. Just ick. But do what you can with what you got.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Its all down to what is available in the part of the world you live. I can buy anything on your list..at a price. I buy all three from a farmers market that's home grown, so I just eat all three types of meat and try not to worry about it.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Its all down to what is available in the part of the world you live. I can buy anything on your list..at a price. I buy all three from a farmers market that's home grown, so I just eat all three types of meat and try not to worry about it.
    I think the OP plans to eat all 3 and is asking which one to get from a better source if he/she has to pick only one due to budgetary constraints. That's how I answered it. If he/she's going to ONLY eat one of the 3 animals' flesh, beef is the winner, hands down.

pickled herring is offline Junior Member
    @RichMahogany - You are right. I want to incorporate all of the meats at this time - that is what I have been eating since..well forever...and I do not want to drop one over another.
    Since starting the Meal Plan provided by the Primal Blueprint folks, I have bought a few grocery store 'steaks' and have been less than impressed. The pork (tenderloin) and chicken (usually thighs) have been quite good (my meats of choice since always). I have tried the wild salmon canned, and thought it was alright, a matter of getting used to. The wild stuff is way out of my price range. I love pickled herring, so that's been a small snack here and there. Eggs have been a staple. Kangaroos do not exist on my continent so eating them is a no-go unless I kidnap one from the zoo lol!

I think that grass fed/local beef is something I will incorportate into my diet once I get an intuitive sense of how to shop for everything else to balance costs.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Also here our beef is majority grass fed as a rule, so pretty tasty and healthy, though not totally free from soy feed supliment, or un-nessassary drugs. Chicken is pretty crummy but freedom foods or Co-ops chicken is rasied to better standard and not much more, free range is a bit of a step up and then organic even better. Pork, well I only buy UK pork so it is better treated than EU pork, but IMHO if you can get free range outdoor reared pork, and even better pork fed on a natural diet the taste is a world better than the conventional raised stuff.

So if I was going to up one thing it would be pork for taste and chicken for price. But that is coming from a UK viewpoint.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I think the OP plans to eat all 3 and is asking which one to get from a better source if he/she has to pick only one due to budgetary constraints. That's how I answered it. If he/she's going to ONLY eat one of the 3 animals' flesh, beef is the winner, hands down.
    Fair comment

I guess I eat more chicken than anything as I can source good quality stuff and its cheaper than beef. out of the three I would dump Pork.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12