Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chia Seeds page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Chia Seeds

Anyone here a fan of Chia seeds? If so, how do YOU eat them? Dried? Straight up? Soaked in water?

I'm also wondering if the nutritional value and caloric value remains the same whether you eat them dried or soaked in water.

Just re-read Mark's post on the Seed guide and wanted to get some insight ;-)

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes add them to pudding for bulk and to balance out omega 6 heavy seeds. I personally prefer flax for its taste and its utility and making a pudding. Although I think chia is healthier in general.

Never tried them soaked. Essentially measure hte try, find the nutrition facts for the dry, soak them and consider the nutrition facts for the dry amount to be what you ate.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I simply pour a few in my big ass salad. I also use them in smoothies, and sometimes on my "mexican potatoes". I don't know why I call them Mexican potatoes - lightly mashed, butter, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, bacon bits and a sprinkle of chia.

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Thanks!

@ Stabby - Regarding your comment about measuring them dry..that's what I've been doing but since some veggies' nutritional content changes when eaten raw vs. cooked I thought I'd ask if it was the same for chia seeds. Google doesn't seem to provide an answer so I'm guessing you're right. Nutritional content must stay the same if the chia seeds only soak up the water?

@ kmacphee - I know that flax seeds lose it's nutritional content unless ground (due to the fact that it's not broken down as much while digesting). Do you know if it's the same for Chia seeds as well? Should they be ground before putting into foods?

Thanks again!

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    I will use them on a BAS, that's about it so far!!! I've read that you can make a gel out of the seeds and use it to make things go farther, like ketchup or jam or something similarly saucy.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

CJ4400 is offline Member
    @ Stabby - I forgot to mention! If you are interested in adding some serious bulk to your pudding try soaking the chia seeds in water for 10 minutes and you'll see what I mean.

@ Meggilizz - Try soaking them in water for 10 minutes. I think this is the gel like consistency that we've been reading about.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking the same thing but I don't have the answer, although I am planning to grind the chia seeds once I run out of the flax in the grinder.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    The Raramuri soak them and mix them with lime and sugar to drink on their 50 mile runs - sounds yummy, right?

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Kmacphee, they say that you get the benefits from chia seeds WITHOUT needing to grind them like flax seeds!!

CJ--I reaaaaaaally am not sure what I would do with the chia gel....it seems too much of a hippie-food for even me!! Guess I'm just not interested in the gel :/
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i thought chia seeds werent all that good for you??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast