Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can't get my calories down page 2

ktgrok is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, and I forgot to include stress level. Put it this way, I stay home with a 3 year old, an infant, and am homeschooling a 13 year old teen boy, with a husband that works late more nights than not. Teen boy broke his back a month ago and is in a brace (and not happy about it), ex husband (father of teen boy) had a kidney transplant 2 weeks ago, and although we have money in investments for retirement/college our day to day finances are always tighter than we would like. So yeah...some stress lately

ktgrok is offline Member
    [

Just try to make sure you have enough food and water. I wouldn't calorie restrict AT ALL while you are breastfeeding.[/QUOTE]

Do you think I can still lose weight at a high calorie count, if i'm eating clean otherwise? Because given my history of nursing each child for several years I can't really just wait until they wean

And although sure, it would be great to look cuter, my main concern is that this weight makes it hard to play and be with my kids in the way they need.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, sounds like a really stressful time, which is not healthy for you. I don't think that you should add an additional stressor of calorie restriction.

For what it's worth, I fed your stats into this site and it came back with a daily calorific need of 2113 Calories. So sounds like you are undereating if anything. Maybe eat bigger meals and you won't feel so much of a need to snack?

do you think that I can still lose weight at a high calorie count
    Well, there are two things here. Getting enough nutrition (which is calories, plus all the micronutrient vitamains and minerals you need), and the other is body fat. I totally think that if you eat to satiety on the healthy non-snack foods you listed above, and focus on getting enough nutritious food, your body will absolutely use up it's excess fact reserves as you breastfeed your children. When your body has huge energy needs, it will make you eat lots. As your energy needs slack off, you will become satisfied with smaller amounts.

Eating to satiety (fullness) rather than out of habit is the key.

I totally support playing and being with your kids. Just get out there and do it. What's stopping you now?

Edit: I would try to make your snacks as healthy and nutritious as possible. Straight coconut butter or cream are relatively low in micronutrients compared to their calorie density. I recently discovered microwaved scrambled eggs, which you might enjoy: Break some eggs into a bowl, add a chunk of butter and pour in some cream. Microwave until firm, stirring ever 45sec. Eat straight away, with salt and pepper to taste. Eggs are very nutritious, and it's easy to tell 'peckish' snacking behaviour rather than 'hungry', since if you aren't hungry for eggs you probably aren't hungry at all
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Based on teh comments and your diet, history and needs my only suggestion would be to up the veg. You said you normally eat more than what you mentioned, which is great. BUt for lunch for example, i would focus more on veg (i.e., big salad) with little fat and protein. Then maybe at dinner, your protein and fat are higher. Either way, just add tons more veg and maybe even some fruit and ease off the protein and maybe some fat (like the extra sprinkling of cheeses - totally not necessary and mainly for taste am i right?? i do the same!).

This will likely still keep you full without reducing anything drastically given your caloric needs.

Zach is offline Banned
    This is a time for your children to grow, not a time for you to try and lose fat. Eat to appetite, eat carbs, eat nutritionally dense foods. You want your breast milk to be as nutritionally dense as possible. Also remember breast milk is over half sugar so dont completely avoid it in your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by meloroaster View Post
    This will likely still keep you full without reducing anything drastically given your caloric needs.
    Wait, you're saying she should eat less fat and protein to feel full? That seems like the opposite of true.

Unless you're saying she should physically fill up her stomatch with nutrition-poor things like leafy greens just to have a distended stomach?

I think that being full is about much more than the physical contents of your stomach.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I completely agree with the suggestions to focus right now on really, really healthy eating and optimal health overall ...not weight loss.

Get into the groove of this way of eating (and living) and when the time is right, then you can tweak your portions and ratios.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Wait, you're saying she should eat less fat and protein to feel full? That seems like the opposite of true.
    Unless you're saying she should physically fill up her stomatch with nutrition-poor things like leafy greens just to have a distended stomach?
    I think that being full is about much more than the physical contents of your stomach.
    FYI: Zach is one of the pro-carb Perfect health potato-hack warriors who recently infiltrated the MDA forums.
    All his postings should be viewed in that light.
    I guarantee he will reply by calling me "the most dilusional poster on the board." Take it however you wish.

That said, I agree that the OP needs more veggies. 54 carbs a day is barely enough for one person, much less three.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Actually, I was responding to meloroaster, who suggested cutting fat and protein and replacing it with salad.

I have Zach on ignore, so I didn't even see what he posted. Now that I've gone back and read it, I don't have a problem with what he said. His post seemed very reasonable (except for the misinformation cautioning her not to avoid sugar. The OP should get plenty of carbs from vegetables like potatoes on a normal day).

ktgrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

That said, I agree that the OP needs more veggies. 54 carbs a day is barely enough for one person, much less three.
    Ok, THAT made sense, in a way it hadn't before. I find myself eating the coconut butter and wanting cream...I think for the carbs. Time to try some more carbs in other, less calorie dense form, and see if that leads to actually eating less. Staying grain free for sure, as grains make me MEAN and lazy, but some extra veggies sound yummy. I find right now my body really wants them...I could eat two bags of veggies a day easily, and love it. And add in an apple or some more berries and see where I end up.

I know everyone says don't worry about it, nursing will take care of it. WEll..I've been nursing for over 3 years straight and managed to gain weight just fine that way....and don't want to keep doing that. For my health I need to get the weight off. But yeah, I also need to make yummy healthy milk. So...more veggies, small amount of fruit, more water, and see what happens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast