Thread: Solace in numbers page

amycann is offline Junior Member

Solace in numbers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A couple of weeks ago, while out with my family (my parents, siblings and husband), I met another primal person. The reason it was weird is because we were at a Japanese steakhouse. My family was trying to talk me into eating things that would make my tummy hurt and right across the table the same thing was happening to this guy. His wife was going on about how restrictive it was and that he should eat everything because they were out. She even apologized for his eating habits. I piped up and said I ate that way too and it was nice for someone to have my back at dinner. We talk across the table about it and honestly having someone else made it way easier to deal with my parents and my family. Best part is he actually got my husband to follow primal with me. I believe there is solace in numbers. Now having my husband doing primal with me I don't feel as pressured (he has lost nine pounds!!!!). Has anyone else found that having people who eat like you help in maintaining primal and if not how do you find the inner strength to deal with the constant nic-picking?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Never hurts to have back when you are outnumbered and surrounded and shit.

LOL that being said, there are a lot of people that take my side in an argument and do me no favors by doing so.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Paleobird Guest
    I have a group of friends that meet for a Game Night once a month. The snacks always used to be all about the cookies, cakes, pretzels and wine. Lately, through my influence, several people have shifted to paleo to one degree or another. One also found out that she is gluten intolerant.

Now there are meatballs, sausages, cheese, veggie sticks, Pelegrino water, and dark chocolate. We still have just as much fun.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Since I've gone primal, several of my friends have as well after witnessing my results. It seems like there are primal groups everywhere these days. I'm part of several groups on Facebook and of course Crossfit gyms promote Paleo routinely. When I go to restaurants and give them specific alterations to the menu they act like it happens all the time. Seems like we are beginning to have some impact.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend supports me fully, as I cook wonderful foods for him at home, and it would hurt me to eat gluten. But I would never expect him to adhere to the diet when we are eating out. That is his choice, and he is able to eat things that I can't and don't keep at home.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    My sister is lucky enough to work with several primal women. She works in a very... erm... progressive town. Many folks there are either vegan/vegetarian or primal/paleo. I have no one but my sister. My parents think it's bunk. I work in a bakery and they all eat the extra treats and offer them to me even though I've told them I'm allergic to gluten. I dunno. I wish I had more support.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

goddessjules is offline Junior Member
    I found if i'm out to eat, I just pretend that I have a food allergy- easier for me to explain to a server or people who don't know about my "caveman eating", as I like to call it. Also, I have a few places the husband & I frequent, and they know exactly how we like the food, we're at the point where we don't even need to order anymore, they see us come in and they just start getting it ready!

Canuck416- Nice to see a local on here, I'm from Santa Rosa!

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    It would be nice to have more support. I am gluten intolerant so it is easier to say I have allergies since its true. My sister thinks I am crazy. That's why I come to MDA.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs