Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please, I really need help. page

DaisyHair is offline Junior Member

Please, I really need help.

Primal Fuel
    My story is a fairly long one but I'll try to be brief!..

I've been going on and off of low carb for over a year. I do great in ketosis - cravings wise, I am/was a serious sugar addict. It's taken me this long to really realize I just can NOT have "reward" meals... ever, period.

I need to lose 100 pounds. I am a 49 year old female.

I love ketosis because I feel like I have the appetite of what I would think a "normal" person's is but after a while I always start to have what I THINK are electrolyte issues. I've blacked out twice (almost three times) and was Dx as having "vagal nerve fainting". Dr. said it could be low blood pressure or electrolyte issues or both.

I am also really struggling because I also have zero energy and never seem to really get any. I have been VLC for weeks at a time (up to 10 weeks) and just never seem to get any energy.. I think I just can't get fat adapted. I always end up "carbing up" because I feel like a slug and the fainting issues honestly scare the cr*p out of me.

Energy wise I am ok for day to day function but when I do anything that is very exerting, like working in my yard (I live in central FL) or taking a very long walk, or get overheated at all this is when the issues with fainting or graying out crop up. I try to use sea salt liberally (per Art and Science of Low Carb Living) and I add concentrace minerals to my water. I am constantly VERY thirsty. I never seem to get enough water. (I am not diabetic).

I recently went more towards Primal to try to add a few "safe" carbs like berries, apples, half a sweet potato and full fat Fage.. to bring up my carbs a bit (maybe 80 carbs a day max) but it's such a fine line that If I have too much at all I start having cravings. (I've been doing this about 10 days).. last night I had horrid cravings and ended up binging on pecans.

I've been at this for so long I am beyond frustrated. Can anyone offer any advice? I feel pretty lost and confused.

TIA.

Cary~

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Could you possibly need even more sodium? If you are only adding it to your meals, you might not be getting enough if you are VLC. Peter Attia posted a while back about what he ate while VLC (I think he is VLC, I'm just making the point that this post is several months old).

What I actually eat The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

In the table he lists boullion (2-4g) which would contribute a significant amount of sodium. Homemade bone broth with added salt would be a much better choice of course. But try adding a good bit of sodium and see if it helps.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if something's not working for you, you can always change. why do you have to go keto?

Thank you for the reminder re: the boullion.. I recently bought a jar of boullion paste I had intended on using to make broth to have at night and totally forgot about it. I really LOVE that link and like what he says about the transition being a continuum.. Now I don't feel so bad about how round about my journey has been so far. His article also makes me think I do need more fat. I just am not sure (yet) the best way for me to add it.. maybe my old coconut oil bark.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Hi Jakey,

I just have a very hard time with cravings when not in ketosis. I've tried countless times to "just have a few good carbs" adding in fruit, sweet potato.. etc (not all in the same day) and not worry about ketosis but so far I've not found a way to do that successfully. I always end up with allot of hunger again. I am still very much a work in dietary progress!
    Last edited by DaisyHair; 02-28-2013 at 11:22 AM.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyHair View Post
    I just have a very hard time with cravings when not in ketosis. I've tried countless times to "just have a few good carbs" adding in fruit, sweet potato.. etc (not all in the same day) and not worry about ketosis but so far I've not found a way to do that successfully. I always end up with allot of hunger again.
    I totally can relate. I have had the same issues with the slippery slope of carbs. If I have a couple of pieces of fruit, some safe starch I suddenly become non-low carb. Some would say this is because our bodies need the carbs and we will not function optimally without them.
    Unlike you, I always feel fabulous while VLC. Good energy, sleep well, good mood. It's is the cravings/missing carbs that kicks me off the wagon.
    I don't really have advice- everyone is so very different. But I do wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    I totally can relate. I have had the same issues with the slippery slope of carbs. If I have a couple of pieces of fruit, some safe starch I suddenly become non-low carb. Some would say this is because our bodies need the carbs and we will not function optimally without them.
    Unlike you, I always feel fabulous while VLC. Good energy, sleep well, good mood. It's is the cravings/missing carbs that kicks me off the wagon.
    I don't really have advice- everyone is so very different. But I do wish you luck!
    Thank you.
    I know I want and need to eat pretty low carb. I've found I can stay in ketosis at 40 carbs / day or under.
    I know I have insulin resistance because I was Dx with PCOS and also had a dark, velvety ring around my neck that Dr. said was a sign of insulin resistance called Acanthosis nigricans. It's totally gone.. so is the eczema on my legs.

I know I'm on the right track. I suspect I just still don't get enough salt and need to add more fat.
    Right now I am in the nutrition forum reading about nutritional ketosis. I am torn between adding more fat or adding MUCH more veggie. (I crave raw veggies and I think it's because I stay dehydrated)..

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    H Daisy. I don't have any answers, sorry. I'm in much the same boat - ketosis is the only thing that really works for me in terms of symptom control (IBS), weight loss and a normal appetite. But no matter what I try, I get mood crashes after a couple of weeks. I lose energy, spontaneity and a sense of joy. Any tiny bit of sweetness like berries, other fruit, starch - even beetroot, starts the cravings. Then it's all on, baby! I'm just coming off another period of diving face first into sugar, and I'm no closer to understanding what I should do next.

I'll be following your thread and hoping someone will be able to offer something useful for you!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    H Daisy. I don't have any answers, sorry. I'm in much the same boat - ketosis is the only thing that really works for me in terms of symptom control (IBS), weight loss and a normal appetite. But no matter what I try, I get mood crashes after a couple of weeks. I lose energy, spontaneity and a sense of joy. Any tiny bit of sweetness like berries, other fruit, starch - even beetroot, starts the cravings. Then it's all on, baby! I'm just coming off another period of diving face first into sugar, and I'm no closer to understanding what I should do next.

I'll be following your thread and hoping someone will be able to offer something useful for you!!
    Ok so I suspect you and I are both dealing with carb addiction. I have been reading allot about addiction in general and the psychology of it, and find allot of similarities, especially the constantly "negotiating" away the "need" to have carbs. I know I have carb addiction. I deal with depression too.. and I think that's part of the carb withdrawl issues and one of the reason I originally came off low carb.. I have found that 5HTP really helps my depression.. it causes me nausea in the beginning but after a week that goes away and I can really tell a difference. It's strange but I swear even colors become brighter when I am taking the 5HTP.

I know exercise would really help too which is one of the reasons I keep trying to take good walks (and one of the reasons I chose this place to post re: fitness) and I have read that HIT really helps you become fat adapted quicker but right now I struggle finding the energy to walk 4 blocks.. much less jog. I know it will get easier. I am so glad I posted here. Thank you for your comments.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Magnesium Citrate or Glycinate can help with both carb cravings and the fainting/dizziness. Try 400-600 mg before bed.

Also, Get your D3 level tested & sun/supplement to a blood level of 50-60 ng/ml, which will help with your hormone balance and fat loss.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 02-28-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast