Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please, I really need help. page 2

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyHair View Post
    Hi Jakey,

I just have a very hard time with cravings when not in ketosis. I've tried countless times to "just have a few good carbs" adding in fruit, sweet potato.. etc (not all in the same day) and not worry about ketosis but so far I've not found a way to do that successfully. I always end up with allot of hunger again. I am still very much a work in dietary progress!
    DaisyHair- What is your ketogenic diet like? Can you give an example of what you eat?

DaisyHair is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    DaisyHair- What is your ketogenic diet like? Can you give an example of what you eat?
    I've been pretty much "Atkins' Induction" style dieting for ketosis.
    Eggs with butter and cheese and bacon or ham most mornings. I also like scrambled with leftover salmon and lots of cream cheese.

Sometimes I would make a huge batch of Zucchini hash browns with Italian sausage for breakfast on the weekends.
    Occasionally a "minute muffin".

Recently in an attempt to add a few low GI carbs I switched to Fage with almonds and 1/2C berries for breakfast.

Lunch is usually leftover dinner. I've been making mostly lots of meat and green veg or salads at nights. I buy large roasts (pork and / or beef) and get 2-3 meals out of them. Usually with green beans, brussel sprouts or asparagus roasted in CO or veggie salad or sauteed onion, zuch, tomato and summer squash on the side.. once a week is Salmon or whole roasted chickens... I try to eat very clean and cook 95% of our meals.. occasionally we will get a chicken Caeser from one of the fast food places or go out for a steak and salad for dinner somewhere.
    I keep Atkins bars and shakes in the house per DH's request and usually don't have a problem craving them because I have found I just have to not have one to begin with.. sweet taste can set me off sometimes.. just in general.

What about you?

DaisyHair is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Magnesium Citrate or Glycinate can help with both carb cravings and the fainting/dizziness. Try 400-600 mg before bed.

Also, Get your D3 level tested & sun/supplement to a blood level of 50-60 ng/ml, which will help with your hormone balance and fat loss.
    Hi!
    Thanks for the info. I actually have Mag. citrate right now.. I've been very lax in taking it though. I'll get back to it.
    I've never had my D3 checked but just assumed I needed it because I don't go out without sunscreen ever here in FL.. I take 5000 a day.. sub-lingual. I guess it would not hurt to get it checked though. What would I need to be doing if I needed more?

Checking out your Primal Coaching website...
    Thank you.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyHair View Post
    Hi!
    Thanks for the info. I actually have Mag. citrate right now.. I've been very lax in taking it though. I'll get back to it.
    I've never had my D3 checked but just assumed I needed it because I don't go out without sunscreen ever here in FL.. I take 5000 a day.. sub-lingual. I guess it would not hurt to get it checked though. What would I need to be doing if I needed more?

Checking out your Primal Coaching website...
    Thank you.
    Everyone is different, but the general guideline for maintenance is 1000 IUs per 25 lbs of body weight from all sources. I am 130 lbs and take a bit more to keep my asthma at bay. 6,000 IUs (8,000 in winter.)

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We are all different metabolically; that should not be a surprise since we are all different in lots of ways. Some of us lose weight and feel great on 100g of carb, others on 20.

The weakness you feel I think is more likely electrolytes than fat or carbs. I salt the heck out of all my meals and that helps. I also take magnesium every day. It's worth remembering that magnesium and calcium may compete with each other for absorption so do one at a time.

Don't overdo the protein. Somewhere around 100 gm/day is enough! More than that just gets turned into glucose and can stoke the cravings. Our bodies cannot store protein.

We've all been socialized into thinking fat is bad but if you eat very low carb, moderate protein, then you have to have fat to get the balance of your calories. There are no other options. There is no such thing as a low carb low fat diet that works. Fortunately there really isn't any evidence that a high fat diet hurts you at all if you're low on carbohydrates.

If you're trying to cut carbs and cut calories and cut fat and are hungry all the time, eventually you'll run out of willpower. The true low carbers will tell you to eat enough to not be hungry, watching the carbs and the protein and making up the difference with fat. The new Atkins book says to AVOID being hungry.

Also remember that it takes at least 2-3 weeks to fat adapt so be patient. I have the same issues with eating something "forbidden" and sliding down the slippery slope. Some of us just don't do well with the breaks. Makes me think about alcoholics--they just can't do one drink, and some of us can't do one heavy carb meal either.

Something that helps me a lot is to focus on the positives rather than the "I can't have's" When people tell me they could never give up bread, I usually say something like, "Yep, it's a real burden to have real bacon and eggs whipped with cream for breakfast, a huge salad with meat and olive oil for lunch, and stir fried steak with vegetables for dinner. My life is just so hard." I also focus on my new grandsons, who I want to see grow up.

Remember that the Inuit eskimos lived for millenia on nothing but fatty meat and were healthy until given Western diet. Same with the Masai who ate meat, some dairy, and drank blood (no doubt for the sodium.)

You can live for years on 20 gm of carbs.

Some resources I've found helpful:
    The New Atkins for a New You. Written by head of Duke University Metabolic Clinic.
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek
    Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12